Dynadot

ovt w. ext. 150 but no traffic?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
A few days ago I registrered a domain that has overture with extension of about 150. It hardly gets any traffic, about 1 a day. The domain was free to register, no drop, no links, never registered before. It is a typo of a domain that has overture with extension of over 5000. Also I registered some more typos of this domain with ovt.w. ext. from 30 to 100, same story.
Now I see that the original site is offline, could be temporary, not sure. The original site is registered for many more years, so not expiring or anything. Archive say it has been around for about 4 years.

Now I know that overture says nothing really, but this little traffic is hard to believe. Any comments/explanations/views are much appreciated.

P.S. I am not sure I should post the name because I am not sure about any possible issues.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
before registering the name, you need to make sure that the domain which it is a typo of has an active site of some kind, otherwise it might be because the site was online last month, so the domain has good overture, but this month the site is gone, or relocated, so traffic will diminish. Also see if the site has potential. I registered a domain with overture 26 yesterday and received 36 uniques so far today!

•••
I've had similar experience with two of my names - good OVT (80+) and no traffic. In my case, the explanation might be that the traffic they get is of seasonal nature. One gets its traffic due to a political site (not typo, just different extension), which naturally got much traffic befor the US elections. The other one is hurricane-related, which should also interest people only seasonally. So it's natural I hardly got any traffic after I had registered them, I probably should have a fair amount 1 month earlier ;) . Just another possible explanation

•••
Site is back online now and registered till after 2010. Also this is not seasonal traffic I am sure.

I cannot believe that a domain with 150 overture with extension gets no traffic.

•••
pascal said:
Site is back online now and registered till after 2010. Also this is not seasonal traffic I am sure.

I cannot believe that a domain with 150 overture with extension gets no traffic.
wait till next month, it will probably go to 0...

•••
Overture Logic

I haven't figured out the Overture logic so far...I have a few examples of domain names without extension showing over 50,000 searches and are now at around 2000 or so...

No experience tracking names with extensions. ...But I agree overture has way too much fluctuations to make any sense...

Unless someone hear can explain

•••
Could Be Drop Hunters, Or Other Checking On The Same Name As You.........therefore, The Ov Score.

Just Because A Domain Has An Overture Score, Doesn't Mean It Has Traffic.

If It Is A .com.tw, Depending On How You Are Tracking (ie:ppc) You May Not Ever See The Traffic, Even Though It May Have High #'s.

•••
1rrr1 has a talent for picking great overture w/extension names! I got a couple that are around 40 or so and they do pretty well, about 5-12 uniques a day with excellent click through. I guess it would depend on how current the subject matter is. If you get an o w/ext domain that is timeless, you will have better luck than one that is very specific, such as a movie title.

•••
sunken said:
1rrr1 has a talent for picking great overture w/extension names! I got a couple that are around 40 or so and they do pretty well, about 5-12 uniques a day with excellent click through. I guess it would depend on how current the subject matter is. If you get an o w/ext domain that is timeless, you will have better luck than one that is very specific, such as a movie title.
Hey thanks a lot and i am pleased that you are getting a nice amount of traffic for your names. I always check sensible names which should maintain their traffic, not names related to say movies or Christmas, so the names i get will have consistent traffic.

Btw. I sell lists of unregistered domain names with overture. I currently have a few lists available.

•••
These are .org domains. These are not drops, they were never registered before. The original domain has a history of 4 years and is registered till after 2010, is not seasonal, it is a serious website, moneyrelated. It wil not go away next month and I am sure these domains have overture next month. I know how overture works, at least, as fas as this is possible.

•••
1rrr1, How much are you selling the list? What topic is it related to?

Not related to overture but I have a domain with only 5 linkpops previously. And right now it has more than 20 linkpops with at least 2 clicks per day, earning me more than its reg fee within 3 weeks. I don't know how it increase as I did not advertise the domain at all but it is amazing. Anyone can teach how to catch overture domains that do have traffic? And what is this "with site" thing? I don't quite catch that.

Flora.

•••
The high OVT score of the original site migh just be because of the fact it was down. Imagine it, you go to the site, it is down, you try search engine.

BTW, OVT score is no guarantee for the traffic, but it can be a good pointer.

•••
ftech said:
The high OVT score of the original site migh just be because of the fact it was down. Imagine it, you go to the site, it is down, you try search engine.

BTW, OVT score is no guarantee for the traffic, but it can be a good pointer.

I agree that this is the most likely explanation.

Visitors who find the .com is offline will most probably type in .net & then .org in an attempt to find it. Once the .com is back online that traffic will most probably die.

•••
I've never really understood how the OVT w/ ext can be a traffic factor, all that says it that people have searched for that domain, but even if they search, the domain you are interested in is probably not even listed in the SERPs so there probably won't be any traffic coming from there.

If I am wrong somewhere, someone please correct me, I am still new to the extension concept.

•••
pimpdaddy said:
I've never really understood how the OVT w/ ext can be a traffic factor, all that says it that people have searched for that domain, but even if they search, the domain you are interested in is probably not even listed in the SERPs so there probably won't be any traffic coming from there.

If I am wrong somewhere, someone please correct me, I am still new to the extension concept.

If they are typing it into the search engine means that they know about it, and that they will type it in the adress bar also. For the domains that are going to drop it means that people are trying to search for that site because they didn't find it when they typed in the name in their browsers.

•••
I see, that makes sense, so w/ extension plays a role and without extensions doesn't play any role or ..?

•••
w/o ext. is important for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), but you should look for much higher values here, and if you have multi word name you can separate the words by space. w/o extension doesn't tell much about typeins.

•••
thanks alot for your help, it makes sense but for SEO, im asking about domains for parking, without intentions of developing

•••
MissFlora, where is it parked if you don't mind my asking...

Pimpdaddy - I have 3 names OVT w/extension and they are doing well in the parking mode, though they don't get much traffic, 5-12 a day (or less). The thing though is that if people are searching for that particular topic in a search engine with extension, then they are a very targetted audience. And so even the low traffic can bring lots of clicks if parked at a place that allows specific targetting. Those 3 names get a 40% click ratio at Sedo. I keep hearing good things about DomainSponsor and wondering if they would be a better choice. I'm waiting until I at least get to the minimum though to think about moving them.

•••
pascal said:
These are .org domains. These are not drops, they were never registered before. The original domain has a history of 4 years and is registered till after 2010, is not seasonal, it is a serious website, moneyrelated. It wil not go away next month and I am sure these domains have overture next month. I know how overture works, at least, as fas as this is possible.
mind sharing with us the name?
MissFlora said:
1rrr1, How much are you selling the list? What topic is it related to?
I have PMed you.
pimpdaddy said:
thanks alot for your help, it makes sense but for SEO, im asking about domains for parking, without intentions of developing
In the case of parking, it is best to choose names with overture with extention. It doesn't mean that the domain must have traffic, but it most likely will. Every overture name i registered has traffic so far.

•••
sunken said:
MissFlora, where is it parked if you don't mind my asking...

Pimpdaddy - I have 3 names OVT w/extension and they are doing well in the parking mode, though they don't get much traffic, 5-12 a day (or less). The thing though is that if people are searching for that particular topic in a search engine with extension, then they are a very targetted audience. And so even the low traffic can bring lots of clicks if parked at a place that allows specific targetting. Those 3 names get a 40% click ratio at Sedo. I keep hearing good things about DomainSponsor and wondering if they would be a better choice. I'm waiting until I at least get to the minimum though to think about moving them.
I understand, but why would they be typing this in a search box instead of the address field?

•••
pimpdaddy said:
I understand, but why would they be typing this in a search box instead of the address field?

Because they are only made from flesh & bones*..:D

*Everyone makes mistake once in a while, and on computer it happens more often..:)

•••
ftech said:
Because they are only made from flesh & bones*..:D

*Everyone makes mistake once in a while, and on computer it happens more often..:)
i see, i thought there was more reasoning behind it thats all :)

•••

They wouldn't, but some ISPs don't return error pages when an invalid URL is entered. Instead they divert you to a listings page to try & help you find the page you want (or in the hope that you will click on a sponsored listing). The content on these pages is usually supplied by a third party - such as Yahoo - and hence a search for that URL has been registered at Overture.

Also many people use the search portals as a homepage. Some even think that they have to type the URL into sites like Google, who then find it for you.

•••
The .org domain is the original domain. It was only down for a few minutes, I should not have mentioned that cos now everybody is focussing on that. I appreciate all your input, but I still see no explanation. Okay, I will share the original domain, will not register any more typos of this one anyway and do not see any real issues coming up.

The domain is: nameitandclaimit dot org

I have 5 typos of this one with ovt.w. ext. from about 30 to about 140 and they get about 2 type ins a day together. I do not understand this at all. Please have a look again and share your opinions.

•••
Back