Dynadot

“Oops! Sedo did it again!!” Sedo's auction system is leaking again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is starting to be ridicolous:

4 hours ago , another Sedo rep. wrote me back replying to my complaints regarding this issue, this is what she wrote me:

Dear Lorenzo,

Thank you for your email.

I’m afraid it is not possible to change the end date of your auctions. Due to the unavailability of the system the auctions were put back by the same time the system was unavailable – 526 minutes. This was system wide amendment and was done to ensure that you, and the other sellers, do not lose out on any bidding time. It is not to your disadvantage but rather to your advantage as we are not penalising you but allowing more bids to be placed and therefore the possibility that your domains will be sold for a higher amount. The Sedo marketplace is an international marketplace and we know from previous experience that bidders are looking at auctions at all times of the day and night regardless of where they are based. In addition, we cannot remove the auctions as you have made a commitment, as per the Terms and Conditions, to sell the domains to the highest bidder.

As I write there is over three days remaining for each of these auctions allowing plenty of time for further bids to be received on your domain names. I hope that you continue to receive offers on your domains and receive a good price for each one.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Now....I just checked again the auction ending times.....you won`t believe it so better you go and check by yourself but they changed again , this time ending earlier , almost going back to the original ending time.

If this is not a mess , I can`t figure out how better to describe the meaning of this word.

I am now going to take screenshots of my auctions because I have no idea how this is going to end.

I advice other sellers to do the same and keep monitoring their Sedo auctions.

:'(

•••
after telling me on the phone there was nothing they could do - they finally fixed mine.

instead of scaling it back to the original time, which could potentially be damaging if buyers took note of the new time..they extended mine by a whole day, so now it ends at a good time (7pm EST) instead of the middle of the morning.

good enough for me.. but there needs to stop being so much downtime that cause these auctions to get extended like that... an auction system should NOT be crashing for blocks of 8 hours at a time... that is unacceptable.

•••
Doesn't look like Sedo are handling this very well at all.

Auctions are time sensitive, people know when an auction is due to end. If that end time keeps changing then people won't bid.

•••
mjnels said:
after telling me on the phone there was nothing they could do - they finally fixed mine.

instead of scaling it back to the original time, which could potentially be damaging if buyers took note of the new time..they extended mine by a whole day, so now it ends at a good time (7pm EST) instead of the middle of the morning.

good enough for me.. but there needs to stop being so much downtime that cause these auctions to get extended like that...

moving auction ending times continuosly will create just such a confusion that no seller would ever want, not all buyers/bidders can check Sedo every day. Some may just take note of ending time and think to come online 1 hour earlier that day just to find the auction is not there anymore!

Plus it may good for you but if that was done to me they would end on Saturday and I did not want that.

This is not acceptable, maybe we should start OUR marketplace......it can`t be worse than Sedo`s one. :'(

•••
Congratualtions everyone you get the rare opportunity to watch a great business be flushed down the toilet in a quick fashion. All it will take is for some other site to come along and start a similar service and sedo will be gone and then bought for pennies on the dollar

•••
italiandragon said:
moving auction ending times continuosly will create just such a confusion that no seller would ever want, plus it may good for you but if that was done to me they would end on Saturday and I did not want that.

i agree... and i realized the saturday thing as well.. thank god i start most of mine during the middle of the week.

•••
"oops (Sedo) did it again"....... Following in on that theme, if Sedo doesn't watch out it will loose its 'kids' ( I guess that would be us)

•••
duceman said:
"oops (Sedo) did it again"....... Following in on that theme, if Sedo doesn't watch out it will loose its 'kids' ( I guess that would be us)

uhmm I guess that :

"oops (Sedo) did it again" sounds better in English :) I`ll change the Blog title thanks, unfortunately can`t change the thread title.

But yes, now I`m not going to put any other name on Sedo till eventually they solve their issue. From now on I`ll choose tdnam or something else, which is even cheaper.

•••
thoroughbredbet said:
Congratualtions everyone you get the rare opportunity to watch a great business be flushed down the toilet in a quick fashion. All it will take is for some other site to come along and start a similar service and sedo will be gone and then bought for pennies on the dollar

Isn't it a case though that Sedo have been declining for some time.

italiandragon I corrected the title typo for you.

•••
peter@flexiwebhost said:
Isn't it a case though that Sedo have been declining for some time.

italiandragon I corrected the title typo for you.

Thanks Peter.....but as "duceman" suggested, maybe the best message is:

“oops! Sedo did it again!!”

Anyway...no big deal. :)

I wonder if there is any point in writing to these Sedo rep if basically what they say is the opposite of what it happens :'(

•••
cant hurt to try..

calling them is better though... 1-617-499-7200 is their u.s. office..

•••
mjnels said:
cant hurt to try..

calling them is better though... 1-617-499-7200 is their u.s. office..

I just e-mailed them....it`s 2 AM here, if I ring Sedo in the Usa not only I pay international fees (sorry I don`t have skype) but I`ll wake that poor angel of my wife.

edit: man...where is that popcorn emoticon here?

I just received another reply from another rep.....it seems that the issue is escalating, now they are talking of "rescheduling" some auctions...just get a coffee here and maybe some valium since I feel it`s not over yet, this is the last update before I go to bed:

Hi Lorenzo,

We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused. We’ve actually received an update on this situation from Sedo’s management; as it turns out, the lengthy auction extensions were unintentional. It looks as though some auctions may be rescheduled, although we don’t have all of the details yet or an official statement regarding the matter. However, you can rest assured that we will be sending out emails to all people involved in the affected auctions, and working to rectify this situation. You will be notified directly if your auction will be rescheduled.

Again, we apologize but appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day!

:'( :'( Sedo..... :'( :'( :'(

Last edited:
•••
I just got hit with it myself. I originally had a great time of around 8PM est for my name QIKZ.com. They pushed it back to 3 am est!!! So, I had early bidding and then it just died as it got later. LLL.coms are so hot, I know there was a good chunk of money left on the table. Now I've got another one there (DUZR.com) which has been pushed back a couple times already. Fortunately, it's a good ending time now, but who knows what they will do before tomorrow.

Yes, Sedo just does not get it. On almost everything.

(this will probably get merged with my last post)

You know, I was telling my wife about the probable loss of money on that name due to the Sedo auction date changing, and she said, "That's ridiculous, do you have to sell it?"

I thought about it and said, you know what, I'm going to tell then I will not go through with the transaction. No way. If they want to lose the parking revenue on my 5,000 names and the commissions on the 100 names I've sold there already, they can cancel my account and I'll walk.

•••
•••
•••
Every time this happens it erodes my already limited faith in them further.....

•••
Happened with my current auction too.

Received the same email.

italiandragon said:
This is starting to be ridicolous:

4 hours ago , another Sedo rep. wrote me back replying to my complaints regarding this issue, this is what she wrote me:

Now....I just checked again the auction ending times.....you won`t believe it so better you go and check by yourself but they changed again , this time ending earlier , almost going back to the original ending time.

If this is not a mess , I can`t figure out how better to describe the meaning of this word.

I am now going to take screenshots of my auctions because I have no idea how this is going to end.

I advice other sellers to do the same and keep monitoring their Sedo auctions.

:'(

•••
jaydub said:
Every time this happens it erodes my already limited faith in them further.....
It stops me from signing up :lol:

•••
You think with all that money they're raking in they could upgrade their damn servers?

I just read somewhere that Sedo was selected as Entrepeneur of the Year in Germany by Ernst & Young... Well, you know the saying... "here today, gone tomorrow" :)

•••
I've emailed them 3 times now stating that I will not release the name I sold at auction that got moved to the 3:00 am est time slot. Still no reply. Instead I get emails telling me the progress of the escrow.

•••
Some people might be familiar with my incident and people didn't understand why I won't pay them people for a service which they actually don't provide. A Realtor would be sued if he/she provided such a poor service in selling someone's property. I took a stand and took some flak for it but the truth always comes out, it's not if, just when.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back