Dynadot

One Word Domains: Nouns, Verbs or...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ExpertDomino

Account Closed
Impact
ok, what part of speech of domains do you think gross the most money in Domain Selling?

Nouns
Verbs
Adjectives
etc.

I would say Nouns because as a General Rule the are shorter and usually have more typins and nouns are usually the base word.

ok.....

Example One:

love.com
loving.com
loved.com

Obviously, love.com is the preimum name here.

Example Two:

obstruction.com
obstructing.com
obstructed.com

Now, which one of those is most valuable, see there it gets a little trickier.

So, do you like Nouns, Verbs or other when you pick a Domain to register?

:lala:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have to agree and say that nouns are the best type.

•••
Nouns by far.. keeping in mind that not all nouns will be developable or make good domains..

Take a look at this from igoldrush.com:

"Genericness" in itself is not enough to ensure value. Sure, a common single word domain is going to have a reasonable intrinsic value, but the trend has been taken to extremes by too many domain name speculators who go to great lengths to produce a "1 word domain" by making lavish use of endings such as "ly" or "ed" and by leaning on extremely dubious plurals of words that normally are only used in the singular. There is no particular value in domain names made up of a single uncommon word. It is a myth to assume that all one word domains are valuable.

•••
•••
Does of course depend on the words. I actually have a degree in Linguistics and from what I can tell word that are commonly used as verbal forms will clearly have most value there:

running.com

However, the majority of words can not be placed into each of the three categories placed above. If it had to be decided I would say:

1. Nouns - tables.com trees.com domainnames.com
2. Verbs - running.com develop.com download.com
3. Adjectives - big.com best.com new.com

But we'd all rather own big.com than envelope.com

•••
You are right but most of the times names like Sedo, Pool, Deleted, etc
which are nouns
Morever names ending in ing are not very common

•••
I would usually aim toward a noun rather than a verb, especially when the verb is in its past tense (eg. loved.com).

•••
I would say noun in general, but as already stated, some verbs are also good (dowload , develop, etc.) But if we are just speaking generally, I would definitely say nouns/

•••
It's hard to rank names as a particle of speech. For an individual word you can base it on frequency of use, scarcity, and length. It's easy to get completely different results for siblings. For example:

Good Adverbs: Today.com, Tomorrow.com, everywhere.com
Bad Adverbs: preposterously.com ( available- $NP if you reg it! )

Then of course there are frequently used parts of speech that are very limited in number. If you have one of these, you're set for life:

Interjection: Wow.com, Yeah.com, Ouch.com
Pronoun: She.com, He.com

Of course there are prepositions and articles, most of which are 1-3 characters and so worth a lot anyway.

Nouns and Adverbs are great mainly because there are so many of them and you have a chance of owning one. As long as you stay away from a nounified verb you have a definite winner.

Actually this is a good rule for any part of speech, in particularly adjectives. As long as it is not derived from another part of speech it will be shorter and probably more common.

Also, avoid infinitives, at least in English names. They are longer in length and less frequently used. This is not true of all languages though.

•••
i go for nouns too, I think they are the first taken.

•••
Nouns generally,

However it does does depend on the extension in .info adjectives work quite well too

industry.com

industry.info
industrial.info

Some of the best nouns are ones which work like suffixes as subdomains or divisions follow the language.

golf.club.com
club.com/golf

•••
Interjections!

primacomputer said:
It's hard to rank names as a particle of speech. For an individual word you can base it on frequency of use, scarcity, and length. It's easy to get completely different results for siblings. For example:

Good Adverbs: Today.com, Tomorrow.com, everywhere.com
Bad Adverbs: preposterously.com ( available- $NP if you reg it! )

Then of course there are frequently used parts of speech that are very limited in number. If you have one of these, you're set for life:

Interjection: Wow.com, Yeah.com, Ouch.com

. . .

or Shucks.com ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back