IT.COM

domains One Domain Name Can Change Everything

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Choosing a Domain Name
It’s been 20 years since I registered my first domain name. Over these 20 years, I have been involved in more than $50 Million in transactions, managed one of the industry’s leading brokerage houses, and worked with founders, venture capital companies, billionaires, Silicon Valley stars, celebrities, artists and more — all in the hunt for the perfect domain name.

The results have not always been successful. Although many deals were executed, some are still in discussion, some are tied up in estate issues, some failed, and others, well, we’re still trying to find the ghost behind the domain. After all, this is the Internet and some people don’t want to be found.

But there is one thing all clients have in common once they use their first great domain. It’s not the size of their wallet or the confidence they hold. It’s a feeling of owning an asset that provides value to every piece of their company model. A value measured in both time and money. Once they see this ROI in time they are sold on premium domains forever.

1*chuclWmhhI5zPdukvWT0iQ.png

Read this article here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Over time, a great name with a built brand can be worth more than all the assets of the company.

Basically, the name alone allows the business to survive, adapt and thrive, even when the chips are down.

•••
•••
Good Article and some good insights, Thanks for sharing

•••
of course 1 domain can change your life

why do you think everybody here is searching for that domain???

•••
Great read on the value of good quality domains and the importance branding!
I may use this article as a reference in my next sale negotiation B-).

•••
•••
I'm always waiting to read an article from an enduser that didn't spend the money for a better domain name and put it elsewhere having lot of profits. I think this will help us to better understand who contact with outbound emails

•••
Thanks for the reading, it was useful.

•••
The article referenced within was worth reading as well
http://paulgraham.com/name.html

If you have a US startup called X and you don't have x.com, you should probably change your name.

•••
This was a good read. But it does leave something out of the equation. The amount of money you need to buy that category defining domain. I've been struggling with this question myself. So how do I apply this to myself? A one-man-band domainer. I wouldn't say I'm just starting out, but I am looking to (re)brand myself.

Domain.com and Name.com are not for sale, even if I could afford them. There must be some growth in the business before you go buy a category defining domain name. Or you need a mound of cash / loan. So there must be some path between a one-man-band domainer and somebody who plonks down a load of cash for a category defining domain.

What are the things to consider along that path before plonking down the cash for the category defining domain name? How should you brand yourself in the meantime before you have the balls/cashflow to buy that category defining domain?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back