Dynadot

advice On choosing a domain name for a consulting business website

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Imedcrypto

Established Member
Impact
Good day everyone.
First thank you all for the valuable information shared here :)
Lately i started a small business (related to my field of study and day to day job); a scientific and technological consulting business (specialized in energetics and environments for the moment).
I registered the company name, the problem is the Name dot com is taken (a short name so no way it wasn't taken, and yes i checked before registering it but its another story).
Now I'm brainstorming ideas to find the domain name : these are available in dot com :
My company name + CONSULTING
My company name + FIRM
My company name + COMPANY
Any other suggestions ?
.com .net are taken
.co is available but I'm afraid my clients will think that's a misspell and they ad the m at the end :p
thank you for your
Thank you in advance for your help and feedbacks!
have a nice weekend!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would choose the name of the company + consulting

•••
"Strategy" or "Advisors" may be some good suffixes, as well.

Be aware that these alternatives:

Consult / Consulting / Consultancy / Consultant / Consultants

... may be a bit confusing.

Good luck :)

•••
As your consulting business is related environment , I would suggest using .org if available.

•••
"Strategy" or "Advisors" may be some good suffixes, as well.

Be aware that these alternatives:

Consult / Consulting / Consultancy / Consultant / Consultants

... may be a bit confusing.

Good luck :)
Thank you for your suggestions, yeah i'm very aware of the alternatives that's why i'm hesitant to use the word consulting.
Advisors is a good one but it doesn't rhyme well with the main name.
btw what abbreviation of the word consulting do you think is widely used (need that for social medias handles). Thx :)

•••
As your consulting business is related environment , I would suggest using .org if available.
.org is a no no hhahahahahahahha
i worked before with a similar business, they have the .org as a main domain, people mistake them for a some kind of an NGO and asks constantly for pro bono works.
the last thing i want to do at this stage is doing free jobs.

•••
Good day everyone.
Lately i started a small business (related to my field of study and day to day job); a scientific and technological consulting business (specialized in energetics and environments for the moment).
I registered the company name, the problem is the Name dot com is taken (a short name so no way it wasn't taken, and yes i checked before registering it but its another story).
Now I'm brainstorming ideas to find the domain name : these are available in dot com :
My company name + FIRM
Any other suggestions ?
.com .net are taken
.co is available but I'm afraid my clients will think that's a misspell and they ad the m at the end :p
thank you for your
have a nice weekend!
I have sold quite a few word + consulting.com domains. It is a popular format.

@Future Sensors had some good suggestions as well.

I think there are probably several good options.

What I selected would depend on what is available, for a reasonable price.

Single words might work in other extensions, but for this type of domain I would only consider .COM personally.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
consulting and if you plan on ripping them off just use company name + con .com

•••
•••
Maybe reg the dashed domain if those you need are taken.

•••
Consulting is nice, same with consultants / advisors as mentioned above. Don't go with firm or company, not as good

Last edited:
•••
Go for the category killer domain.
Consulting.xyz is only 50k

•••
•••
''Consulting'' sounds nice indeed, however, the actual name (combination of two) depends a lot on the word you don't disclose.

•••
If you have any kind of a budget for the domain, you might discover an interesting option if you start a request thread in the domain requests area here. You can mention the one-word name of your company, and your preferred keywords to add or not add to that.

If you want to think outside the box, you can also open the submissions to 'relevant brandables' and see what is submitted. Insist that it can be brandable but that it has to have an obvious connection to energetics and environments tech/science, rather than being some random LLLLL or so, or some vague two-worder that is about food or dating. If you open to possibilities that do not have your main company name as the primary keyword... you might just stumble across something you like even better. *Unless you are extremely, extremely invested in that one keyword and it absolutely must be the central focus of the domain name. Then, of course, ignore this paragraph.

But if the domain must include your company name as a keyword, and you don't have a budget to purchase an aftermarket domain, and if you insist on only a dot-com (as opposed to, say, a dot-io, which seems very popular for your kind of niche these days), then it becomes entirely a matter of which secondary keywords you add to your company name, and whether you'd be able to live with a hyphen in the domain, etc.

If you just want 'free options and suggestions' in this thread, would help a huge amount if you would post the keyword that is the name of your company. First, register your company name + consulting, though, as that is probably the strongest of the secondary keywords you listed in your OP. But is your company name registered (in dot-com) with other strong secondary words, like +Tech, or +Smart, or +Agency, etc etc. That opens up other possibilities.

Good luck. If you don't want to post your biz name here, welcome to DM it to me and I'll keep it private. I might come up with something interesting for you, I'm super at namespinning - I used to run the (world famous, ha ha) 'Bannen's Best Available Dot-Com's List!' here on Namepros for years :)

•••
Good day everyone.
My company name + FIRM
Any other suggestions ?
.com .net are taken
thank you for your
have a nice weekend!

If you can register your name + consulting, you are fine.

I have noticed that for popular words, +consulting is first to be used, then consultancy, then consultants, followed by consultant and consult.

Generally, though, if you are just starting, you could still brainstorm and come up with a brand that will be exact match without the need to add anything.

Not trying to sell anything, but just checked my portfolio for "envi" and some examples I have collected over time include Enviage, Enviror, EnviroSentinel, EnvironmentExpress etc.

For Energy: Energeum, Energious, EnergyPractices, EnergyRoutes, Energyswell, GreenerIQ etc.

Or something general like Advizable, Enadvise

•••
i would make it a sub domain and buy lander domains which will actually work for traffic.

•••
If you are starting a business, I'd suggest going with a made-up word as a name. Forget the name you just registered. Unless you spend the money on a generic term as the company name, ie. "Windows," you will likely spend money for many years to market your business anyway. You mind as well spend the marketing on a made-up name.

I also don't like adding "consulting", "firm", or "inc" to the domain name because what if you change your mind in a few years, what if you decide to pivot and sell products or services? What if you want to change the name to Inc instead of Co, or LTD for legal reasons? Or what if someone else names a company similarly, and you have to explain to people "we are at company+consulting.net, not company+inc.com"? You will likely spend more money on re-branding, redirecting to a new domain name, and SEO and PR later on.

A made-up name gives you maximum flexibility with the least investment.

On the other hand, if you have the budget, just buy the ideal, short, memorable domain name from a dominer. It's easier on your marketing guys.

•••
•••
In my opinion, with 20+ years in the branding sector, go with "Company Name" and save "Consulting" to be included in your brands tag line. That's what tag lines are for, to explain what your brand does or it's mission in as few words as possible.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back