Dynadot

Official Solar Energy Domain Names thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems that everywhere I look I see some ad or article or tv commercial or tv show for Alternative Energy and Green this or Green that. This is a HUGE trend and yet is stll in its infancy.

Solar power seems to be at the forefront of the Alternative Energy movement. What are you doing to take advantage of this? What Solar names do you have? Also, what do you think of the future of Solar Energy and the future value of Solar domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The future of solar energy is unlimited. Take a look at a recent stock that IPO'ed last year called First Solar (ticker FSLR). It's gone up almost 10 fold already.

•••
obvio said:
The future of solar energy is unlimited. Take a look at a recent stock that IPO'ed last year called First Solar (ticker FSLR). It's gone up almost 10 fold already.

I totally agree. First Solar specializes in a type of solar cell manufacture known as thin layer solar. These cells make solar power much more affordable and economical. This is why the stock is going nuts and will go much higher. So a few months back I got:

ThinLayerSolar.com

ThinLayerSolarCells.com

•••
i also have solarcola.com and savetheplanets.com

•••
One of my favorite solar names:

SolarPowerOne.com

•••
Have any of you been keeping track of the solar energy stocks over the past year?? Most of them have GONE THROUGH THE ROOF!! Solar is really red hot right now and looks like it will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

•••
$$Domainer said:
Have any of you been keeping track of the solar energy stocks over the past year?? Most of them have GONE THROUGH THE ROOF!! Solar is really red hot right now and looks like it will just keep getting bigger and bigger.
Yes they are hot and I think they're mostly the solar panel and film companies.....wait till the solar thermal companies get started good....I think they will be even hotter.

•••
The 'powers that be' are morons.

When they have an unending supply of energy (ok, at least for the next 10 million years or so) they spend all their money fighting for oil. If all the money spent on wars for oil was put into solar energy research, there would be surplus power forever.

I own Solaar.in - tried to buy the .com but no response so...

•••
mwzd said:
The 'powers that be' are morons.

When they have an unending supply of energy (ok, at least for the next 10 million years or so) they spend all their money fighting for oil. If all the money spent on wars for oil was put into solar energy research, there would be surplus power forever.

I own Solaar.in - tried to buy the .com but no response so...

Well....actually the 'powers that be' are Greedy oil and coal barons. They could not care less for the environment...they are ruled by the almighty dollar. They will do everything in their power to fight the implimentation of a clean energy industry because that will put them out of business.

I agree with you 100% on the clean energy surplus power forever. Not only that but we will also have cheaper and stable prices of clean energy as it becomes mainstream. There is an unending supply of sun, wind, and hydrogen and thats really all we need.

•••
Actually the "coal barons" are investing themself in clean energies. Look at the Biodiesel and ethanol market for examples. there are examples also in the solar and eolic industries as well, they are buying shares of this ramping market. (By the way hidrogen is not that clean because takes energy from other resources -petrol, gas- to be transformed in a usable energy form and same is for BD -use of pesticides, arable land and increasing prices of feedstock...) Solar and eolic are the cleanest overall!

•••
Back to the thread subject...
SecureRoofPanels.com

Solar roof panels are nice but you don't want the neighbour to nick them ;)

•••
jido said:
Back to the thread subject...
SecureRoofPanels.com

Solar roof panels are nice but you don't want the neighbour to nick them ;)

I like this one...its a natural and I would think it's perfect for a company in that biz.

thetruman....in regards to hydrogen and solar I think one compliments the other...they are the perfect pair because hydrogen can be cleanly developed by the use of solar, especially solar thermal.

Solar energy when the sunshines and hydrogen energy when it doesn't. The sunshine solar energy can be stored in the hydrogen for offsite portable use (vehicle fuelcells) and nighttime residential use as well (hydrogen fuelcells). These plans are already in the works by some major players.

•••
Passive annual heat storage (PAHS) is supposed to be the solution for "when the sun does not shine"... But it needs to be more studied full scale IMHO.

•••
Just a personal opinion but i dont think solar energy is big for the future, its been around for years and they have been slow in trying to do anything with regards to really making the most out of it.

Technology is way advanced that they could be doing a lot more to develop solar power farms, its happend in a few places, but still not as much as i thought it would.

I believe they will rape the land of every last drop of the black gold and any other option before embracing solar energy, so for that reason i wouldn't invest into solar domains myself.

Im probably completely wrong, but just a thought.

•••
nstalk said:
Wind energy is growing with leaps and bounds but from what I've read solar thermal power is the "energy holy grail". I read where just a few square miles of these plants in the southwest deserts can furnish the whole USA with power...snip...

The figures I have heard were quite a bit less optimistic. The estimate is something like 10% of Nevada, if covered with *existing* solar technology (either electric power cells or thermal power), would be enough to supply the electric power needs of the USA. I have a second home in Vegas, and from what I have seen it would be easy to find 10% of the rest of the state to cover with the technology. The problem is total cost, including supply, production, servicing and distribution. With rising energy prices the economics are becoming more favorable.

Decades ago when I was teaching, I gave a test question for undergrad physics students at Stanford. They were asked to estimate the lifetime of the various power sources assuming current levels of consumption and given that the current rates of population growth were sustained. Coal was good for a few hundred years, so you can bet hydrocarbons will continue to be part of the future. There was one student that cracked me up when I graded his test. He did the population estimates and associated energy growth. He said that by the time we ran out of solar energy, the population of the earth would be 30 feet thick. We both new he was joking on population "thickness", but I gave credit for the joke. Remember the "demand" side of the equation when you say that power from the sun is limitless.

fenal said:
Just a personal opinion but i dont think solar energy is big for the future, its been around for years and they have been slow in trying to do anything with regards to really making the most out of it.

Technology is way advanced that they could be doing a lot more to develop solar power farms, its happend in a few places, but still not as much as i thought it would.

I believe they will rape the land of every last drop of the black gold and any other option before embracing solar energy, so for that reason i wouldn't invest into solar domains myself.

Im probably completely wrong, but just a thought.

Sad but true. Never underestimate the ability of the government to procrastinate.

Marc

•••
I've been looking into putting a solar panel system on my house, it's pretty pricey but there are tax breaks . Found this link on state by state tax credit info : www.dsireusa.org
Anybody put a solar system in their house ? How'd it go ? Been noticing more hits on my solar names .

•••
namebug said:
I've been looking into putting a solar panel system on my house, it's pretty pricey but there are tax breaks ...snip...
Anybody put a solar system in their house ? How'd it go ? Been noticing more hits on my solar names .

I wish I could put a solar system in. In the Seattle area this is quite acceptable in most areas, but of course Seattle is hardly a good place to do it. OTOH, in our Vegas home we are banned from installing anything solar, since it is deemed unattractive, and written into the CC&R contract. It is in one of those upscale communities where everything has to look perfect. No cars are allowed in site (must be in garage), no solar installations, no visible satellite tv dishes... It is funny because Vegas is the perfect place for solar, but banned in some of the communities.

Weird. The places like Seattle where it isn't effective have no problems with installations, and the places like Vegas where it would be perfect ban it because of appearance.

Marc

•••
npcomplete said:
The figures I have heard were quite a bit less optimistic. The estimate is something like 10% of Nevada, if covered with *existing* solar technology (either electric power cells or thermal power), would be enough to supply the electric power needs of the USA. I have a second home in Vegas, and from what I have seen it would be easy to find 10% of the rest of the state to cover with the technology. The problem is total cost, including supply, production, servicing and distribution. With rising energy prices the economics are becoming more favorable.

Decades ago when I was teaching, I gave a test question for undergrad physics students at Stanford. They were asked to estimate the lifetime of the various power sources assuming current levels of consumption and given that the current rates of population growth were sustained. Coal was good for a few hundred years, so you can bet hydrocarbons will continue to be part of the future. There was one student that cracked me up when I graded his test. He did the population estimates and associated energy growth. He said that by the time we ran out of solar energy, the population of the earth would be 30 feet thick. We both new he was joking on population "thickness", but I gave credit for the joke. Remember the "demand" side of the equation when you say that power from the sun is limitless.

Sad but true. Never underestimate the ability of the government to procrastinate.

Marc

Your absolutely right, i agree.

•••
I'm very optimistic we will see a much wider use of solar and other aternative energies in the near future. I read every day about climate change that is contributed to increased co2 tonnage in our atmosphere around the world and it is shocking to say the least.

I also read about the huge sums of money being invested in solar and other renewable energies from private enterprizes as well as goverments worldwide. The move to a cleaner energy industry has already begun and it will pick up speed as more people become more aware of our serious problems with the continuing use of fossil fuels.

Its not that fossil fuels may run out but the blessing in disguise is that hopefully they WILL run out before too much more damage is done to our planet.

Read this......and if you are a skeptic and disagree be assured I respect your right to do so....I will not argue the point with you.
Scientists warn of human hardship in warmer world....
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/cli...ange-report_N.htm?csp=34&loc=interstitialskip

•••
nstalk said:
I'm very optimistic we will see a much wider use of solar and other aternative energies in the near future. I read every day about climate change that is contributed to increased co2 tonnage in our atmosphere around the world and it is shocking to say the least.

I also read about the huge sums of money being invested in solar and other renewable energies from private enterprizes as well as goverments worldwide. The move to a cleaner energy industry has already begun and it will pick up speed as more people become more aware of our serious problems with the continuing use of fossil fuels.

Its not that fossil fuels may run out but the blessing in disguise is that hopefully they WILL run out before too much more damage is done to our planet.

Read this......and if you are a skeptic and disagree be assured I respect your right to do so....I will not argue the point with you.
Scientists warn of human hardship in warmer world....
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/cli...ange-report_N.htm?csp=34&loc=interstitialskip

I fully respect others opinions on climate change and global warming, but im one of those that doesn't actually believe in global warming from our living, i do believe and am aware of damage we have done so far and are continuing to do, i totally recognise that as happening, but i think the governments around the world are hijacking the whole glbal warming thing.

For example during the ice age there was a mile deep sheet of ice i think that covered virtually the whole planet, sometime ago, i cant remember the date but there was a mini ice age, i think it was in the 16 century, possibly wrong on that.

I think solar flares are also responsible for fluctuations in the planets temperatures, i think that any rise in temperatures are just a natural shift and not quite the concern that their being made out to be.

There is a lot of money to be made from this global warming idea, you can infact impose completely uneccessary restrictions too, in the name of global warming.

I fully recognise, pollution, carbon footprints and a need to cut back on that damage for obvious health worries, but i dont recognise any of that as a contribution to global temperatures rising.

Last edited:
•••
Solar industry

I agree, the solar business is taking off indeed! It's about time.

•••
•••
My two cents - why would a corporation that can produce solar power and sell it to the masses, even care if they have a domain name that contains the name of their technology.

For example, Iogen... Iogen is an up and coming Ethanol producer, that makes Ethanol out of straw by using enzymes to break the straw down...blah blah blah...end result, Ethanol fuel....they are posed to become a huge player.

Their name is Iogen, which means nothing and has nothing to do with being related to the actual technology or energy that they are involved with.

My point, all the big players are already involved in alternative energies....I mean, were dealing with corporations that will sell energy to cities, provinces, states and nations....they really don't need to rely on type in traffic or a name that relates to their product.

Shell, Sunoco, Esso, Ultramar, Husky, Irving, Enbridge...etc....all big players in the energy sector and none have names related to oil or gas.....

•••
I can't see a big corporation changing its name just to accommodate a good domain name but i can see them owning popular domain names pointing to their website. Its cheap advertising. Also, how about the smaller service companies in the solar, wind or hydrogen business....surely they could benefit from good domain names reflecting the type biz they're in.

Those names you referred to like Shell, Sunoco, Esso, etc. were all made famous before the internet....they are so famous now I'm not sure they would benefit from or even need good descriptive domain names....probably not......but Iogen is a different story...they would probably benefit from a name like EthanolPoducer.com...or something similar....imho.

tpruby said:
My two cents - why would a corporation that can produce solar power and sell it to the masses, even care if they have a domain name that contains the name of their technology.

For example, Iogen... Iogen is an up and coming Ethanol producer, that makes Ethanol out of straw by using enzymes to break the straw down...blah blah blah...end result, Ethanol fuel....they are posed to become a huge player.

Their name is Iogen, which means nothing and has nothing to do with being related to the actual technology or energy that they are involved with.

My point, all the big players are already involved in alternative energies....I mean, were dealing with corporations that will sell energy to cities, provinces, states and nations....they really don't need to rely on type in traffic or a name that relates to their product.

Shell, Sunoco, Esso, Ultramar, Husky, Irving, Enbridge...etc....all big players in the energy sector and none have names related to oil or gas.....

•••
tpruby said:

Iogen is not the only ethanol producer and the company name is far from being a household word like 'Kleenex' or 'Microsoft'. Branding a company name can be a very costly process.

Iogen (approx.35 searches per day) could benefit greatly by having a generic domain name or two pointing to their site. A domain name like 'ethanol' (1876 searches daily) or 'ethanol production' (250 searches daily) should be worth a bundle to a company like Iogen.

•••
I've regged this two years back thinking for the long haul.
SolarEquipments.com
BioEnergySource.com

This one is brandable generic.
SunInnergy.com

I will hold on to them unless I get an offer that I can't pass up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back