IT.COM

question Offers & Offers but no sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
So,

I'm sitting in the garden, the sun is shining and I am pondering on the year so far....

I have not had one sale in 2020

I have had 32 offers though.....

Portfolio size is 265

Largest offer was $1,000

Lowest offer was $25

Should I be worried.....personally I don't think so

Very few names have been added this year, lost out on quite a lot of names on auctions but the prices did go slightly crazy and you need to have a budget in place. Have regged a few new names but nothing excessive....

So I am thinking dont panic, go for long term holds on quite a few of my names and no desperate purchasing/regging is needed - just stick with what I have, drop the crap and keep going for those decent domains in the aftermarket, some will drop my way, some wont but keep going and enjoy the ride....

Pondering over......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't think of high prices every day, money to flow up the most important

•••
Allowing minimum offers well below your desired BIN price tends to result in lowball offers at the minimum. When you counter at what you really want, the linebackers go running for the hills. Setting much higher BIN prices will result in crickets but less time wasted on unqualified leads.

•••
Allowing minimum offers well below your desired BIN price tends to result in lowball offers at the minimum. When you counter at what you really want, the linebackers go running for the hills. Setting much higher BIN prices will result in crickets but less time wasted on unqualified leads.

I agree, years ago on Sedo I used to leave the low min offer but after so many just wow I thought I could get cheap or no reply. I raised them.

•••
I raised them.
Lol.

@NickB You are not alone. Personally I feel this year is like the Twilight Zone for me in terms of sales, like what the heck is going on?? All my offers are either DOA, or come in different languages, which according to Google Translate, people seem to think my site is their doctor's office and want to confirm an appointment, or I'm the taxman and they want to know how to pay their property tax.

Do not disparage, as you said, don't panic- your last line of thought holds true.

•••
I am really impressed with your number of offers, and none yet a sale must be disappointing, but we all know how sporadic sales are for most of us.

So you mention that one of the offers is, at least in my books, substantial.
Largest offer was $1,000
Do you feel sure you did the right thing in turning it down, and were the two of you at all close on price?

It is challenging to know when to hold and when to be flexible. I hope you see a sale really soon!

Bob

•••
You have the right mindset. Keep going, be consistent. Don't make any hasty decisions.

We share about the same portfolio size. For me, I've had a few low xxxx sales this year. And I've been getting more offers and inquiries the last month than in months before. I actually woke up with an $3k offer this morning, it is now under negotiations. I also received an $250 offer on a name in an emerging niche. That one I rejected.

Best of luck.

•••
all marketplaces should set minimum offers at $100. $20 minimum offers are a joke. they are 99.9% from other domainers. higher minimums will save everybody a lot of trouble. all those lowballers will disappear because the new minimum will be $100 and if accepted they will sh** themselves if they had to pay it.

•••
Well you need to come up with a better ratio is all. This may be achieved rewording your replies.

Last edited:
•••
With 265 names, you are expected to have about 3 sales in a year. That probably means 20% chance of 0 sale 60% chance of 3 sales and 20% chance of 6 sales.

You want more consistency in your sales, you need a bigger portfolio.

HD or Mann are certain to make multiple daily sales and you know why.

•••
I am really impressed with your number of offers, and none yet a sale must be disappointing, but we all know how sporadic sales are for most of us.

Do you feel sure you did the right thing in turning it down, and were the two of you at all close on price?

It is challenging to know

It is challenging to know when to hold and when to be flexible. I hope you see a sale really soon!

Bob
Hi Bob

Thanks for the kind words and the question - was away for a long weekend with the family and was told by the other half no posting allowed until today :xf.smile:

The domain offer was via Godaddy auction listing while the name had been listed on Brandpa at the time for around 3 times the amount, I countered at the Brandpa listed price and did not anything back - They were trying to get the name on the cheap.

As I paid around $350 for the name and once you take off the commission (20%) the ROI would not have been great

Since my original post, I have removed all names from Brandpa & Squadhelp, set min bids, floor pricing and BIN's on Afternic NS3 & NS4 landers - the minimum bid & floor pricing will now cut all the low ball offers out, saying that I do need to sort out my Sedo listings......

Should of put this in my original post - some of the offers have been multiple offers for the same domains, not 32 individual domains......

•••
Back