Dynadot

discuss Now the price increase for .com is starting to hit...going to be dropping lots of names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
It seems the price increases are kicking in across many registrars as the hours tick on. Just noticed they went from 8.49 at Epik to 9.99 in the last little while.

Perhaps others could post any price increases they have/are experiencing. The thieves that run .com will soon notice a decrease in registrations. In my case, I will let 25 to 30 percent of my names drop.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yeah, I suspect a lot of people will drop many names.

•••
•••
It seems the price increases are kicking in across many registrars as the hours tick on. Just noticed they went from 8.49 at Epik to 9.99 in the last little while.

Perhaps others could post any price increases they have/are experiencing. The thieves that run .com will soon notice a decrease in registrations. In my case, I will let 25 to 30 percent of my names drop.
Also noticed .xyz renewal price increases ... 😔

•••
•••
Namebright.com
.com from $9.15 /yr.

•••
I use Cosmotown for my cheap registrations. They are holding off on increases for a month

To help our customers with the transition, we have decided to keep the same low prices until September 30, 2022.

Price
New$6.55
Renewal$8.55
Transfer$8.55
Don't miss this opportunity! Register your .COM domain before September 30, 2022.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Easy solution to this is multiple-year registration. If your domain names are so valuable simply register for five or ten years and you don't need to moan about prices increases any more. Problem solved?

•••
The thieves that run .com will soon notice a decrease in registrations.
They aren't thieves. It's a free market. You CHOOSE to be a customer. If it's so easy to offer cheaper registrations why don't you open up a registrar and offer everybody cheap registrations? If you're dropping loads of domain names because of a slight price increase, well, they can't be that valuable. I mean if we're talking $1 or $2 increase then you're basically saying that your domain name aren't worth $1 or $2. I'm really not into moaning about prices increases when there are simple solutions. See reply about MULTI-YEAR registrations. Or do you guys just like to moan?

•••
I will let 25 to 30 percent of my names drop
So you're basically saying 25 or 30 percent of your domain names aren't worth $1 or $2 each? That's hardly the registrar's fault is it mate?

•••
tons will go to bs unknown places and get burned. 90percent places mentioned here are already all bs.

•••
Retail customers who are paying around ~$15-$16 to known and traditionally "retail" registrars (directnic, hover etc) will unlikely notice any change, such registrars would not necessary increase prices. Since verisign is now allowed to increase prices, and will likely do the same in September 2023 - we the domainers can only adopt. Multi year renewals (at least some domains), improving portfolio quality, etc. I'm also considering _lowering_ prices on domains I am not going to renew, and doing this earlier. Lets say I know I would not renew the domain expiring in Q1 2023 - instead of maintaining the normal BIN on marketplaces (for example $2000) until the last day, why not to relist it with $200 BIN right now. Liquidating close-to-expiration domains may be in fact a source of some extra pocket money to cover more expensive renewals.

•••
•••
Easy solution to this is multiple-year registration. If your domain names are so valuable simply register for five or ten years and you don't need to moan about prices increases any more. Problem solved?

Yes, if you not only own the domain but also intend to keep it for five or ten years. For the end user with a website, and for some domainers' monetization models (including yours, if I'm not mistaken), that might indeed be worth seriously considering.

If a domainer is simply intending to sell the domain though, and the sooner the better, paying five or ten years' registration fees in advance is unlikely to pay off. If they sell the domain a year later, they've probably lost the entire advanced registration fees that they've paid.

Having said that, I don't honestly think that these price rises are such a big deal (and I think you and I agree on this). Considered as the "overhead" of maintaining a domain, the standard registration fee is still tiny for any domain that's really worth having. However, even a fairly small rise can conflict with the common domainer business model of stockpiling a vast portfolio of domains in the hope that at some point someone will come along and pay a handsome sum for one of them that will more than cover the cost of warehousing all the others for years.

•••
I don't see what all the fuss is about. From what I've seen the increases are quite small. If your names are valued at 3 figures or above, is this small increase really a problem ? Those with huge portfolios may find it a bit challenging if they are not selling many though

•••
I think it's fair enough for @Mister Funsky to point out the price increase but the solution isn't to drop hundreds of domain names, it's to register less of domain names and for longer time period in the first place. Nobody will EVER be happy about price increases. What's this thread actually about if it's not about solving the problem? Multi-year registration or don't register. Thread could be closed now /

•••
They aren't thieves. It's a free market. You CHOOSE to be a customer. If it's so easy to offer cheaper registrations why don't you open up a registrar and offer everybody cheap registrations? If you're dropping loads of domain names because of a slight price increase, well, they can't be that valuable. I mean if we're talking $1 or $2 increase then you're basically saying that your domain name aren't worth $1 or $2. I'm really not into moaning about prices increases when there are simple solutions. See reply about MULTI-YEAR registrations. Or do you guys just like to moan?
Sure, I like to moan. We all do...it is human nature. :xf.smile:

You should see me when I go to the grocery store lately...at the meat department, they know me and will often come around the corner with a couple $5 off coupons for packaged meat (it keeps me from forming a gathering of unhappy shoppers).

The problem I have with the price increase(s) is that there is no feasible justification for this second round...meaning there has not been an infrastructure/overhead cost increase...it is just the opposite. Memory, storage and even hardware prices are very stable and/or have gone down.

I'm not sure of what level of investor you are, but dropping 25% of my names would save me a few grand a year. I'd say at least half of those should be gone anyway...EMD domains that giggles algorithms have stripped of value and some 5L and 6L's that have missed the boat.

BTW...I don't mind responding to you, but do your best to keep similar thoughts in one post...it helps declutter a thread.

Last edited:
•••
Namebright.com
.com from $9.15 /yr.
From the namebright site:

"How ‘at cost’ pricing works​

‘At Cost’ Pricing is what we use for certain top level domains (TLD's) whereby we charge you exactly what we are charged ourselves.

With .com domains, we have to pay $0.18 per domain per year to ICANN, and have to pay $8.97 to VeriSign (the company that manages the .com registry), and we also have to pay credit card processing fees for each transaction.

We do not markup the price, providing the domains wholesale prices."

It is required that an account be prefunded via wire or check...to save .84 per com means my transfer fingers will be busy!

•••
I use Cosmotown for my cheap registrations. They are holding off on increases for a month
Thanks for the information. I do not have any experience with them but it looks like it is time to give them a try. Their privacy is free and is for the life of the registration (some other do not give any for free or it is limited to one year).

Right now their site shows 6.55 for a new com with 8.55 renewal and/or transfer.

•••

It is not a free market though. If it was a free market Verisign would not be allowed to operate the .COM registry via no-bid contract that allows them to raise prices 7% in 4 of 6 years.

In an actual free market, the contract would be put up for qualified public bidding in the public interest.
In that situation, the renewal fees would come down drastically.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
https://porkbun.com/products/domains_ach
Payng from U.S.-based bank account via ACH = $9.22 .com pricing (free whois privacy included, afternic fast transfer supported).

Namebright would charge for whois privacy (2nd year etc. it seems), and there is no afternic fast transfer :(

•••
I don't think domain name renewals have gone UP enough. I hope com and co uk renewals go up to £50 each year a soon as feasible, and I'd be happy to pay it. There would be less domainers and more quality domain names overall. Domain squatting would be reduced by 90% after one year, giving the industry a better reputation. Startups would have more choice of com domain names. All domain name purchase prices would go up considerably meaning more considered acquisitions. The whole domaining industry would benefit. Now let's hear your logical counter-arguments?

•••
I don't think domain name renewals have gone UP enough. I hope com and co uk renewals go up to £50 each year a soon as feasible, and I'd be happy to pay it. There would be less domainers and more quality domain names overall. Domain squatting would be reduced by 90% after one year, giving the industry a better reputation. Startups would have more choice of com domain names. All domain name purchase prices would go up considerably meaning more considered acquisitions. The whole domaining industry would benefit. Now let's hear your logical counter-arguments?

The logical counter is a company (Verisign) does not deserve $10, never mind $50 for maintaining an entry in a database. That is essentially what a domain registration is.

There are many non-profit, low profit, hobbyist websites out there. $50 is a lot of money in much of the world.

Why not $500 a year, or $1000, or premium renewals based on domain quality?

At some point it just becomes legalized theft if the system is rigged in a way to strongarm people out of assets they got to first.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are many non-profit, low profit, hobbyist websites out there. $50 is a lot of money in much of the world.
Tiffany diamonds aren't cheaper than Manhattan in any part of the world. One product. One price. If people can't afford a com they should try to earn more money. I can't afford a LP 780-4 but that's not Lamborghini's fault. It's mine. Renewals prices need to go up as fast as possible.

imo

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back