Dynadot

advice Now that parking and mini-sites have gone, what should Domainers do with their undeveloped domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I’ll start by saying that sure, you could be in the 5% of Domainers that still make good money parking, but let’s be honest, you’re probably not. When I started buying and selling domains back in 2007 parking was starting to decline but I still knew a ton of people making good money with parked domains. Fast-forward to 2016 and most people I know who used to make a killing parking agree that it has gone the way of the dodo, which is a really cute bird BTW!
I am personally always experimenting and trying new services and in some cases stand-alone landing pages to see what will bring the most qualified inbound offers on my names. While I don’t have the answer, I am constantly testing and learning and what I can tell you is that if someone on your domain (preferably right at the top) it doesn’t indicate the name is for sale, it will get less offers. So in short, I think you should experiment and see what works for your names knowing that you can’t develop custom sites for each domain but you do need to do something to let people know the name is for sale...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This comment, gave me something to think about
Mark Thorpe
November 6, 2016
List and point your domains at GoDaddy auctions. I have been doing this for awhile now.
Most people recognize GoDaddy.
You do not need a GoDaddy auctions membership anymore to make an offer of buy it now on a name listed on GoDaddy auctions. You only need a membership to list a name for sale or bid on a name.
So a potential buyer can submit an offer or buy it now with just a regular GoDaddy account.
You can also leave your contact info at the bottom of the page.

•••
Well if parking and min-sites are dead, and you need to sell your names, then you are just going to push down the prices. I have never felt that conventional parking pages were any good, but I dumped names on them to avoid losing them through disuse.

I don't agree that mini-sites are dead. You only have to look through the softaculous installer to see the massive range of sites that can be generated. At the moment I'm experimenting with blogs, forums, picture galleries, url shorteners, top lists ( now there is an old concept), ad servers, and few others including an e-shop. Of course it involves a bit of work. I haven't started to fly advertising yet, as I am still experimenting, and hunting for traffic, but I'm still optimistic about running a small portfolio of reasonable names.

•••
I'd give this article more weight if the author actually made money parking domains.

It's much harder to pull $300 a day, but not very hard to make $500 a month. You can park your domains and list them @ godaddy auctions at the same time.

•••
I still continue to make nice money with parking if compared to my portfolio size.
I'm still investing on domains for monetize their residual traffic.
Who say that parking is dead believe this because the greatest ROI from these domains come out from domains that will never sell for 1$ just for their name.
What is sure, is that the RPC is dropped a lot from the 2006.

•••
I still continue to make nice money with parking if compared to my portfolio size.
I'm still investing on domains for monetize their residual traffic.
Who say that parking is dead believe this because the greatest ROI from these domains come out from domains that will never sell for 1$ just for their name.
What is sure, is that the RPC is dropped a lot from the 2006.
Where do you park

•••
•••
Where do you park
Mostly Parking crew and domain sponsor.
I've also an account at bodis, voodoo , uniregistry , fabulous , above.

•••
Wasnt aware they were gone. I think minisites need the right marketing is all and people dont want to do the work.

•••
I'm continuing to build mini-sites, and moving them away from a parking service that didn't make me any money. I'm starting to generate a bit of traffic, so I believe I'm about ready to start flying some Google ads to see how that works. Give me a month, and I'll let you know how it's going.

•••
Believe me If someone wants it you'll get contacted soon enough.

Real investors develop the best domains.
Develop the domain even if it looks like its from 1995 a developed site will do far better for you in the long run.

The real money makers don't park they list as an asset they wish to resell. Parking a domain can cost you, all it takes is the wrong advert and your domain is blacklisted. Best to use the registrar parking page while it is not in use. Or your own forwarding page.

Example - 2020 dotta comma Interesting and it makes a ton via amazon. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back