IT.COM

advice Now that DAN updated it's commission, what's the best approach?

NameSilo
Watch

WillW

Upgraded Member
Impact
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's the challenge, though. What if that 20% increase in price becomes part of the reason someone doesn't want to buy the domain? That is quite a bit of money. With the current economy and inflation, there certainly could be an impact on buyer's willingness to spend that much more.

There is no challenge. Registrar search pathway is entirely different distribution channel. Adding higher priced distro channel cannot hurt you (lower one can, if it changes the perception about the value). So the worst case: you won't sell either way. The absolute majority of end users will see name as "not available" and move on. At least, with a price someone still might buy or decide to check out if he can get it cheaper.

If you still think it is challenge, split your portfolio randomly 50/50 (provided it is large enough) and add just half to Afternic with +20% (ok, maybe plus 10% or 15%) and see which half performs better.

Last edited:
•••
There is no challenge. Registrar search pathway is entirely different distribution channel. Adding higher priced distro channel cannot hurt you (lower one can, if it changes the perception about the value). So the worst case: you won't sell either way. The absolute majority of end users will see name as "not available" and move on. At least, with a price someone still might buy or decide to check out if he can get it cheaper.

If you still think it is challenge, split your portfolio randomly 50/50 (provided it is large enough) and add just half to Afternic with +20% (ok, maybe plus 10% or 15%) and see which half performs better.
You need a lot of sales to know which pricing will perform better.

•••
You need a lot of sales to know which pricing will perform better.

Yes. Well, the intuitive path is, of course, to list at higher price rather than not to list at all.

I have seen few investors report in chats that even temporarily removing their names from Afternic has hurt their sales hugely. So, if you have decided that you won't keep them at the same price, it is BETTER decision to have it their with higher prices rather than not to have at all.

The truly unbiased decision would compare all three alternatives, of course, before deciding.

And, yes, to make informed decisions, you need large portfolio and willingness+ability to conduct such tests.

•••
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?
I would have to say that godaddy feels that the money they earn is mostly due to end users punching in the domain name first,so when it lands and they buy the domain [they really did squat.
They now feel without the lander they really earned their money and its gonna cost ya.So let them have their way with godaddy reggy ,the rest should be with the companies they are regged to ,so if the domain is regged at porkbun for example make it land at porkbun buy it now page for super low commission and list it at afternic too but at a higher price so 1000 at the landing page should be about 15-20 % higher at afternic.In the event we sell at a super premium price ,let godaddy know sorry I no longer own that domain,and wait for the fish to come to the lander when godanny cant deliver thats the first thing they will do .NEXT"""""""

Last edited:
•••
,so if the domain is regged at porkbun for example make it land at porkbun buy it now page for super low commission and list it at afternic too but at a higher price so 1000 at the landing page should be about 15-20 % higher at afternic.In the event we sell at a super premium price ,let godaddy know sorry I no longer own that domain,and wait for the fish to come to the lander when godanny cant deliver thats the first thing they will do .NEXT"""""""
You are devious!
So has this worked more than once? You don't end up losing the sale?

•••
In the event we sell at a super premium price ,let godaddy know sorry I no longer own that domain,and wait for the fish to come to the lander
That might work. Once. 😀

•••
Make my own lander and hope Dan doesn't discontinue the 5% commission fee for bringing in your own lead.. 😆

BUT seeing how they're running their business now, not sure how safe my buyers will be from overzealous GoDaddy salemans from contacting them again for another sale (not owned by me) 😔💔
You may use Sedo's external escrow service for bringing in your own leads and they charge flat 3%. I've used it several times and it's a good one.

•••
You may use Sedo's external escrow service for bringing in your own leads and they charge flat 3%. I've used it several times and it's a good one.
I know a little while ago you moved all of your names to Afternic Landers and had success. What's your take on the changes.. Are you planning on keeping it the same or changing it up?

•••
I know a little while ago you moved all of your names to Afternic Landers and had success. What's your take on the changes.. Are you planning on keeping it the same or changing it up?
It's been 3 years since I'm using AN ns3/ns4 landers and plan to continue using it.

•••
It's been 3 years since I'm using AN ns3/ns4 landers and plan to continue using it.
Is that the Price Request lander? If so, are you required to provide Floor price, Reserve price and BIN price? Or can you just provide a BIN price? How's that work, exactly? Thanks!

•••
Back