IT.COM

advice Now that DAN updated it's commission, what's the best approach?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WillW

Upgraded Member
Impact
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
... by simply using ns1.sav.com, ns2.sav.com do they appear with the same lander as Sav listed names? For certain names, with just 4% commission and imho decent looking landers, it may be an option for those seeking a low commission solution.
What do the sav landers look like?

•••
•••
Overall, this is now perhaps an opportunity for these smaller marketplaces to seriously look at improving their platforms, and make listings there easier to search and even more appealing visually.
Facts. I'd be happy to have a marketplace that has good support, decent fees and payout speeds, and maybe if I'm lucky, some exposure as well.

And a marketplace that isn't bought out either.

•••
I read some bad reviews about SAV on the official thread. What's your experience with them?
I'm using SAV since the beginning (they have incorporated nameking).
I experienced problems months ago like same domain assigned to two different accounts, rejected credit card payments, double payments.
Recently no problem at all.
The platform is still immature and can be improved: interface not so friendly to manage domains in bulk, a lot of emails, account balance not present, limited payment options, crypto not supported.
However prices and fees are unbeatable.
I have no experience selling domains on SAV that are registered elsewhere.
So overall I would recommend SAV (y)

Last edited:
•••
So I decided to answer my own question by trying it out on a name not registered at Sav.'
If so, by simply using ns1.sav.com, ns2.sav.com do they appear with the same lander as Sav listed names?
Yes, it is easy to do and works perfectly. I just from the Marketplaces tab in my Sav account added the name with price (I used one I had registered at Namecheap), changed the dns settings at NC to point to Sav, waited for propagation, and now when I enter my name it shows up with a Sav lander. It shows my price for the name, and the cost of a one year registration/transfer, since I think when a name sells it must first move to Sav.

So if someone is looking for a 4% commission with decent landers, this is one option.
I read some bad reviews about SAV on the official thread. What's your experience with them?
So a broad question but let me speak from personal experience. I use many (10+) registrars, with my highest numbers of domain names at the registrars that placed #1, 2 in the recent NamePros poll. Each registrar has certain advantages, and I tend to do certain TLDs at certain registrars.

I have used Sav for a couple of years. I have registered, transferred in, transferred out, bought names BIN there, acquired names in auction there, sold names at BIN there (just liquidations really though) and sold names in auction there. My experience has been overall positive. I did have a few bumps on transfer in a couple of times, where for some reason a few names were delayed showing up in my account, but this was always resolved within a few days. Definitely some aspects of their interface I would personally change. For example, there is no easy way to disable names you no longer want FT enabled. I hope they soon will activate using funds to purchase services, rather than needing to take payout. But they have a lot going for them - great pricing, I think nice landers, low commissions, ability to BIN or auction names, integration with both major networks. They have grown strongly, now knocking on the door of the top 10 registrars in terms of number of names under management.

But really the key question is how easy it is to buy a name there, and what is the lander like, and of course the commission. From my perspective, they pass that test. It is true they are not a well known name like GoDaddy, Google, Namecheap or Alibaba, or the major hosting companies. That is the main negative from hosting your landers yourself, or using anything other than one of the huge companies. Definitely there is a factor there, but hard to estimate how much.

I follow the official thread, have even complained about the odd thing, but I am not sure that people's complaints about auction acquisitions (how they charge during bids for those who are new, sales not closing cause seller refused to move, etc.) as I see it does not directly impact selling and buying a name as a BIN.

Anyway, short answer, based on acquiring and selling at Sav, is I have no problem recommending them to a friend wanting to register or buy BIN a name there, so I have no problem selling names there.

If you asked me the same question about the other registrars I use, my answer would be the same. I have names listed at Dynadot, Namecheap, NameSilo, etc. as well. The big places, Afternic, Dan, Sedo have certain advantages that you have to weigh against any negatives around commission. The key question is always your net probable sales performance, not what the commission is.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
What do the sav landers look like?
I hope I am not breaking some NP rule, but not as a promotion for this name B-), but as requested here is an example of what a Sav lander for a name not registered at Sav looks like. One thing I wish they would change, is they do not use https for the initial lander, but when someone presses the Buy button they do, of course, go to a secure server.

coax.online

The lander for names that are registered at Sav look almost the same, just not transfer fee in calculation. You can see one here:

airbrush.pro

-Bob

PS If it goes to a Sedo lander, where I had it pointed before, the NS changes have not yet propagated to you yet, but it will work within hours to point to Sav. It is already working for me. I just did the change middle of the night a couple of hours ago. I have been up since 2 AM local time so bear little responsibility for anything I write right now. :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
as requested here is an example of what a Sav lander for a name not registered at Sav looks like. One thing I wish they would change, is they do not use https for the initial lander, but when someone presses the Buy button they do, of course, go to a secure server.
Thanks for the lander example!

I don't think it's wise to not have https on the initial lander. Some people won't click on the Buy button because they see that the page is not secure... so they won't know that it goes to a secure server.

•••
Those two landers Bob take about 10 seconds to load. Thanks for sharing that

•••
•••
Still long load time. Am on network now, mobile. I took a video for reference.
Anyone else see slow load times on Bob’s links before mods pull a draconian as links to for sale landers are no no here here

•••
Still long load time. Am on network now, mobile. I took a video for reference.
Anyone else see slow load times on Bob’s links before mods pull a draconian as links to for sale landers are no no here here
Slow for me too and then this also "I don't think it's wise to not have https on the initial lander."

•••
The think is I don't really trust godaddy / afternic. To me the 15 percent commission if you are pointing to their landingpage looks a bit like a trap to me. They give you a great incentive to do so. But to me it looks a bit like a the cheese in a trap.
If people point to their lander there market-share is even more growing. their competitors are getting weaker and weaker. And in two three years they will migrate the three platforms or present some new future and will race on the back of it the commission rate to 20-30%. And everyone is sucked with them.

What I am wondering now that Dan, Afternic and Uniregistry are all the same.
I can basically keep Dan and delete my Afternic and Uniregistry Account.
Or keep Afternic and delete my Dan Account and Uniregistry Account.

Keeping Dan makes perhaps sense given the better Landing Pages and Leasing Option but aside there is no benefit to keep Afternic and Unriegistry? Do you agree or do I miss something?

•••
Keeping Dan makes perhaps sense given the better Landing Pages and Leasing Option but aside there is no benefit to keep Afternic and Unriegistry? Do you agree or do I miss something?
Distribution network. I was told yesterday to keep both my Afternic and Dan accounts because Afternic has more functionality.

For me:
Dan/Dan landers - 15% (not bad) Lease to Own Option which helps close sales, GoDaddy branding which helps close sales. Nice interface, everything works smooth for me. More importantly the buyers.

Afternic - 15% - Distribution Network

•••
I don't think it's wise to not have https on the initial lander.
I agree. For that reason I tend to use one of the options with https for almost all domain names. I think you will use some buyers with the initial page http, even though it goes to https for the payment part.
-Bob

•••
What I am wondering now that Dan, Afternic and Uniregistry are all the same.
I can basically keep Dan and delete my Afternic and Uniregistry Account.
I deleted every name from my Afternic account yesterday.

•••
before i like use dan..
now i like use daaz

•••
Me too. switched to DAAZ.
Same DAN features, but lower fees.

Last edited:
•••
I'm using DaaZ .com for 2-3 years....

DaaZ has only 5% fee for buy now listings...They also have lease to own option with 8% fee...Apart from that, their customer support always helps you if any problem persists....

You can visit TrustPilot to see their reviews.They have some good reviews. One more thing, I liked about DaaZ is their faster payout service.

Thanks..

•••
@WillW Wait, WHAT? SAV only charges 4%?? I been sleeping on this. Tysm for the info!! I need to take a look at their landers 😁
BTW, it's interesting that SAV appears to be the only Chicago-based Registrar. It's nice to have a Landers option from the "Windy City," or any midwestern US registrar for that matter.

What are Sav's payout fees? Does anyone know about any additional transactions and payout fees associated with these "4%" commission landers.

The timing for payouts appears to be five days for domains where they are the registrar. The transaction apparently may take an unspecified longer period of time if the domain is registered elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
I'm moving to SEDO until I figure out a course of action. SAV sounds good with the 4% landers.

•••
I'm moving to SEDO until I figure out a course of action. SAV sounds good with the 4% landers.
Trying a solution temporarily is fine, One thing about Sedo is perhaps to not spend too much time bothering with the descriptions. Since people don't even see that when they first land on your page, it's likely to have less impact compared to DAN. Dan allows that information to show even before they sign up or sign into the Dan marketplace.
Keep in mind also that the landers on Sedo have had an issue for the longest while of having a large portion of the page obscured by their cookie policy. It's not the greatest for first impressions of your lander.

•••
I just tried sav.com and it did not go smoothly in comparison to dan. sadly ;(

•••
•••
I am thinking of removing all my domains from these platforms, and just use my own landers. Just as I thought. GoDaddy purchasing Dan was entirely BAD, for us domainers.

How domainers still can rate GD as the best reseller etc, is for me just mind boggling.

This would be a big mistake, as your names would become invisible for the domain search path at some registrars, including GD (and all if you are not listing at an alternative gateway).

If you want to force people to your landers, you might try raising your prices at Afternic by 20%. If it doesn't sell, no difference for you, if it does, the sale will compensate for the commission increase and more.

•••
If you want to force people to your landers, you might try raising your prices at Afternic by 20%. If it doesn't sell, no difference for you, if it does, the sale will compensate for the commission increase and more.
That's the challenge, though. What if that 20% increase in price becomes part of the reason someone doesn't want to buy the domain? That is quite a bit of money. With the current economy and inflation, there certainly could be an impact on buyer's willingness to spend that much more.

•••
Back