Dynadot

advice Now that DAN updated it's commission, what's the best approach?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WillW

Upgraded Member
Impact
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have removed all my domains from Dan and Afternic for good.
Wow...Just now?

What are you gonna do...Use your site & other marketplaces?

•••
•••
Might as well call them AfterDan.
I guess we could call it the AfterDan migration.
My domains sent 2741 visitors to the AfterDan network last month. I think that if enough of us move away from there to somewhere else, like Sav, we could have a significant impact on the platform we move to.

•••
•••
It was obvious from the first day that godaddy bought DAN such a situation would arise. Because godaddy's goal is to monopolize the market and have a larger share of the pie.

For those who want to set up their own sales platform, I know two ready-made options:
  • efty.com (affordable price, simple infrastructure)

• domain.io (high price, advanced panel)

In addition, dynamic pricing specific to each platform may be an option. For example, for afternic listings, a simple formula like (PRICE=PRICE*1.05) might work for a while.

•••
The answer depends only of the % of $ you make from afternic.
If you make more money with afternic network than with landers, continue to use afternic or dan landers.
If not, use cheaper landers.

•••
I spent last night moving all my domains to Sedo landers with BIN pricing......will review over the next 6 - 12 months

•••
I think you can use your own server your own website, then forward potential buyers to Escrow or Dan Via imported Lead option.
Building a payment system is a good option, but it's not like using a platform or Escrow, for several reasons:
1- the trust (a lot of buyers won't trust the site not like Dan or Goddady a well known brand)
2- you can't offer a plenty of payment methods (Not like Dan or Sedo Or Afternic).

So, build a website and forward traffic will be the best option in my opinion, or use Sedo.

•••
I just removed 400+ name listings at Godaddy/Afternic. They're still at Dan. So the way I see it, if I opt in to the Afternic Distribution Network there at Dan, I'm in the same place I would have been. OTOH I will use Feb. 1 as a deadline to get my own landers together. There's a spreadsheet > Wordpress workflow I've been looking into. Then forward names to my own individual landing pages... get back into negotiating with buyers, and close deals at Escrow or even Dan.

•••
its crazy that SEDO is now the cheapest of the big three
(although, its just the big two afterall, Afternic+DAN / Sedo).

•••
I work with sale&parking. So Sedo is the best option (and the only one) for me.
I will not add anymore domains on DAN.
A good strategy is to use registrant with embedded marketplace like Dynadot/Namesilo/SAV where fee are low. There is also Namecheap but sale listing expires too soon so it's boring

•••
I've been using Daaz.com for a while. They have great service and really low commissions. Have made many sales on there.
FJ3F94-agAAQulc

•••
Wow...Just now?

What are you gonna do...Use your site & other marketplaces?
Hi, I have pointed DNS of all my domains to my sales landing pages. Why should I give them free traffic and pay them 15% commission as well. Yes I'll keep my names at my own website. If anyone really wants my domain(s) they'll find way how to reach me.

I have moved all my domains from GD to Dynadot few years ago.

Last edited:
•••
I spent last night moving all my domains to Sedo landers with BIN pricing......will review over the next 6 - 12 months
Keep us updated (y)

•••
My domains sent 2741 visitors to the AfterDan network last month. I think that if enough of us move away from there to somewhere else, like Sav, we could have a significant impact on the platform we move to.
This!

Real question is how much of impact would be needed for them to change course.

•••
This!

Real question is how much of impact would be needed for them to change course.
The network effects of having so many domains pointing to their platform. How to recreate that with a network of connected independent domain platforms? We know, because of what we see in the drop that there are a gazillion names out there that don't generate any traffic. It's because we bring our insights into what makes a name valuable that there is traffic to our domains > their platform.
Huge and Buy list their names in the network. I would imagine they get a deep discount. If enough of us 'syndicated' our portfolios under a central search engine, I wonder if we could do the same. Anyway, lots to think about.

•••
Shifted about 100 domains now. Will shift all 500 by Feb 1. Vote with your actions, folks!
Domainers were already paying very high fees for landers especially.. where it's the domain itself doing all the work.
If Daaz could work on its aesthetics it seems promising

•••
FYI did the math on my last 12 months of sales, 2 at Afternic and 3 at Dan, and compared my total commission costs at the old rate with what my commissions would have been at the new rates. The difference was a couple hundred dollars, or about a 1% hit to my net.
With that in mind I'm a little less anxious about the commission changes.
That said, I'm glad to be listing at a the single platform, Dan, with the single price. I'm only losing the Fast-Transfer ability at Afternic which I didn't use anyway.
I still intend to build out my own landers, for back up, and also to try to drum up some SEO traffic for my names, but for now I'm thinking I will be staying at Dan.

•••
I'm trying DAAZ that seems the platform more similar to original DAN:
  • Low fee
  • Payout also with 4 different cryptos
  • Good interface
Support answered me very fast. Promising start

•••
I'm also trying to figure out what to do. I shifted a bunch of names to Bodis landers - with Escrow.com backend. 0% commission. Not the prettiest landers but I have made sales via them and at 0% commission, better than building my own landers. You can park there too if you'd like (although I don't).

Now I have to figure out if I should remove Afternic listings because if they sell via there it'll be 25% (since those domains point to Bodis). Perhaps I can just combo up Sedo MLS and Bodis (saving 5%) but losing the GD type in traffic.

I removed everything from Uniregistry and Dan for the moment (since Afternic takes priority if names are listed across GDs multiple platforms anyway).

Anyone know if Sedo MLS reach is similar to Afternic? Or is it much less. I sell about 20% less names via Sedo than Afternic.

•••
Anyone know if Sedo MLS reach is similar to Afternic? Or is it much less. I sell about 20% less names via Sedo than Afternic.

There is an article related "A Deeper Look At Domain Name Fast Transfer Sales Networks".
(sorry my account cannot post links or images :xf.frown:)
They are almost on the same level with a little advantage on Afternic.
Here the results:
Among registrars high on the poll that are part of both the Afternic and Sedo networks are Dynadot, Sav, and NameSilo. GoDaddy, Namecheap and Porkbun registered names get you into the Afternic, but not the Sedo, system. Epik and Fabulous are Sedo, but not Afternic Premium, eligible. Name and Hexonet support both

•••
I work with sale&parking. So Sedo is the best option (and the only one) for me.
I will not add anymore domains on DAN.
A good strategy is to use registrant with embedded marketplace like Dynadot/Namesilo/SAV where fee are low. There is also Namecheap but sale listing expires too soon so it's boring
It's good you point that out. The 90d limitation on a listing a Namcheap makes them cumbersome, and less appealing then as an alternative to DAN. Hopefully they will change that.

Overall, this is now perhaps an opportunity for these smaller marketplaces to seriously look at improving their platforms, and make listings there easier to search and even more appealing visually.

•••
This is certainly not a complete answer to your question, but if you go to the second table in this article:
https://www.namepros.com/blog/a-deeper-look-at-domain-name-fast-transfer-sales-networks.1288722/

I did the largest registrars by registration number (see column in millions) so supposedly a measure of reach. I tried some domains including one only at Afternic and one only at Sedo. There are some complications (like Google are part of both, but don't list high-value names), but if you look at last two columns you can get an idea of what reach each has. Many registrars are in both systems. With Sedo, you are mainly missing out on GoDaddy (a big miss), Reg.RU, and Porkbun. You do get Ionos 1&1 though (and Epik). Several big registrars, like NameBright and PDR don't get you listed from either fast transfer network. So the way I interpret it is the reach is not very different, except Sedo not on GoDaddy, and that is a big chunk of market.

There is an important additional consideration, though, and that is that while Afternic FT is essentially the legacy extensions and .co, Sedo covers far more TLDs. So if you invest in new extensions and some country codes in Sedo MLS there is a strong case to use Sedo for at least those domain names to get registration path coverage.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I have used Sav to sell domain names I have registered at Sav, but not yet domain names registered elsewhere. Am I correct that you can do BIN (as well as auction) listings at Sav for domain names registered anywhere? It seems so from a look at the instructions under the Marketplace Tab with just add domain name, price in a list.

If so, by simply using ns1.sav.com, ns2.sav.com do they appear with the same lander as Sav listed names? For certain names, with just 4% commission and imho decent looking landers, it may be an option for those seeking a low commission solution.

Thanks for reply from those who have used it, especially about the dns and lander.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I have used Sav to sell domain names I have registered at Sav, but not yet domain names registered elsewhere.
I read some bad reviews about SAV on the official thread. What's your experience with them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back