Dynadot

advice Now that DAN updated it's commission, what's the best approach?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WillW

Upgraded Member
Impact
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Haven't been on here in a while, but once I got this email from DAN and Afternic, like many others here I came straight here.

I have a majority of my domain names listed with DAN and Afternic because of the exposure they receive and the fact that more than 75% of my names are registered with GoDaddy (mainly from GD auction). I already thought the commission rates were high on Afternic prior to this email, but now I don't even know what to think.

15% for basically all sales now, including those $10k or higher.
25% for sales, not pointed to their servers or their partners servers.

I used Efty for a few years and liked them but got rid of it when DAN first started getting big (Didn't feel the need to pay a fee).
I have a few domain names on SEDO because they're eligible for MLS but only a few are.

So...do I

Switch everything to Sedo? (10% landing page commission)
Go back with Efty (and pay a monthly fee)
Start my own website and use Escrow or Payoneer.
Something in between.
Still use Afternic.

I feel like the exposure is what makes Afternic such a valuable marketplace, but 15% & 25% increase?
What am I supposed to do with the domain names that aren't eligible for fast transfer on Afternic
..are they going to include more registrars now in the DLS?

What are you guys going to do...any new plans in making now?
I'm in the same boat. All my domains for listed with Godaddy (approx. 150) and I just paid $360 the 1st of this month to be able to create custom Domain Landers with Efty. I was in fact about to list about 102 domains today with Godaddy (before I read the news today). Now, I suppose I need to sell with SEDO or try to get a refund for money spent with Efty. Curious as to what others are going to do. PS. Does SEDO charge for landing pages plus the 15% commission?

•••
Sedo lander + Afternic will be 10% + 25% under new structure.

Better off with Dan or Afternic or Uni lander + Afternic 15% + 15%

•••
I would use Sedo landers and price on afternic and Dan 5%-15% higher to cover the added commission. You'll still get the exposure and if someone types in the domain url they will land on Sedo with lower price.

That's what I'm thinking.

•••
Personally I don't really care care what the commissions are.
It's sales I am after.

•••
Make my own lander and hope Dan doesn't discontinue the 5% commission fee for bringing in your own lead.. 😆

BUT seeing how they're running their business now, not sure how safe my buyers will be from overzealous GoDaddy salemans from contacting them again for another sale (not owned by me) 😔💔

•••
I'm in the same boat. All my domains for listed with Godaddy (approx. 150) and I just paid $360 the 1st of this month to be able to create custom Domain Landers with Efty. I was in fact about to list about 102 domains today with Godaddy (before I read the news today). Now, I suppose I need to sell with SEDO or try to get a refund for money spent with Efty. Curious as to what others are going to do. PS. Does SEDO charge for landing pages plus the 15% commission?
I don't think Sedo charges landing pages. I think if you use them and make a BIN sale, it's 10%. Not sure what m/o is though. If I had more domains registered with other MLS partnered registrars, I'd switch over. I may just see how it goes and if it comes to it, transfer all my GD names out to another registrar. The .com renewals at GD are pretty high anyways.

•••
Sedo lander + Afternic will be 10% + 25% under new structure.

Better off with Dan or Afternic or Uni lander + Afternic 15% + 15%
That's what I'm trying to avoid.

It's pretty dumb that they increased the fees to a flat 15% and then said it was "beneficial".
In reality the fees are going to be higher for the most part. The little discounts on sales over 10k were a nice incentive to sell on Afternic but now that's gone so.

•••
Make my own lander and hope Dan doesn't discontinue the 5% commission fee for bringing in your own lead.. 😆

BUT seeing how they're running their business now, not sure how safe my buyers will be from overzealous GoDaddy salemans from contacting them again for another sale (not owned by me) 😔💔
Do you know if Dan is going to continue that?

I wonder if the prices on the auctions @ GD are going to be even crazier now with this change.

•••
It's sales I am after.
Yeah I get it. I mean I'm still going to sell domain names either way but a 15% & 25% increase?

The 15% is whatever, almost expected but the 25% is just ridiculous.

•••
Do you know if Dan is going to continue that?

I wonder if the prices on the auctions @ GD are going to be even crazier now with this change.

GD might roll that feature out if it creates too much competition from their own commission rate but as of now, I can see how they're incentivize to keep it for the data collecting purposes so idk 🤷‍♀️

Like the recent change we had, if they do it'll probably be within a year. It seems like that's how GD does things now......

•••
GD might roll that feature out if it creates too much competition from their own commission rate but as of now, I can see how they're incentivize to keep it for the data collecting purposes so idk 🤷‍♀️

Like the recent change we had, if they do it'll probably be within a year. It seems like that's how GD does things now......
yeah... GD is like an Elden Ring Boss...a force to be reckoned with but one that you eventually learn to deal with...or leave it any go to another one. :xf.laugh:

•••
yeah... GD is like an Elden Ring Boss...a force to be reckoned with but one that you eventually learn to deal with...or leave it any go to another one. :xf.laugh:

It does feel like that now. Dan used to be a safe haven for a lot of domaineers and nobody seemed to be happy about GD buying them out when they did but by doing so, they did trap us in an ecosystem surrounded by GD's business model. We're just players trying to avoid the endless battles 😣

Btw I looked at your domain collection and it's a nice portfolio you got there!!

•••
It does feel like that now. Dan used to be a safe haven for a lot of domaineers and nobody seemed to be happy about GD buying them out when they did but by doing so, they did trap us in an ecosystem surrounded by GD's business model. We're just players trying to avoid the endless battles 😣
Dan used to be a good place for me to make some money...now it's just a man's name :ROFL:

•••
they did trap us in an ecosystem surrounded by GD's business model. We're just players trying to avoid the endless battles 😣

Facts..it was almost a matter of time after the acquisition of Dan for changes to be made. Just didn't see the 25% coming. That was brutal...definitely an Elden Ring Boss move. Well you gotta fight fire with fire right? Gotta go out there, get a staff and a great sword and keep grinding! Or play Tetris.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Facts..it was almost a matter of time after the acquisition of Dan for changes to be made. Just didn't see the 25% coming. That was brutal...definitely an Elden Ring Boss move. Well you gotta fight fire with fire right? Gotta go out there, get a staff and a great sword and keep grinding! Or play Tetris.

Right?! The 25% fee just feels so unethical and an obvious move to control where we park our domains.

"Or play Tetris." 🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

Someone mentioned SH charging 7.5% commission with their standard listing.

Might move some names there and just upload a logo myself (their in-house logo cost $5 for anyone who don't want to make their own logo).

I guess we'll see if another contender appear or not in due time....

Last edited:
•••
Is there any reason to have domains listed at Afternic now?
I had names at Afternic priced substantially higher than at Dan
But now, If you're already pointing to DAN, and you then opt in to the Afternic Distribution Network, are you basically everywhere you were but with one less (two if you count your GDDY dashboard) interface to deal with?
Thanks!

•••
@Younginn Yeah 7.5% is good. I think at SAV it's 4% on landers and marketplace but I'm pretty sure it's BIN only on the landers. I could be wrong but could be worth it if you're comfortable with that.

I had a few names at SH: got a few offers, sold one, and almost sold another one but on the last one, it fell through. I felt like SH handled the communication poorly and I left. Could have been the buyer but I just moved my names out after that. The commission they had on the marketplace is pretty high for me too.

•••
I am thinking of removing all my domains from these platforms, and just use my own landers. Just as I thought. GoDaddy purchasing Dan was entirely BAD, for us domainers.

How domainers still can rate GD as the best reseller etc, is for me just mind boggling.

•••
Is there any reason to have domains listed at Afternic now?
I had names at Afternic priced substantially higher than at Dan
But now, If you're already pointing to DAN, and you then opt in to the Afternic Distribution Network, are you basically everywhere you were but with one less (two if you count your GDDY dashboard) interface to deal with?
Thanks!

I was doing the same thing but it sounds like there's no point now to list names at both Dan and Afternic. After Feb 1st, if the commission and structure is the exact same, why bother. Might as well call them AfterDan.

IMO the only difference now is the interface on Dan is much better than Afternic and the payments on Dan is/was faster than Afternic. I guess if the payments on Dan slow down then for me there really is no point to have two profiles.

•••
@WillW Wait, WHAT? SAV only charges 4%?? I been sleeping on this. Tysm for the info!! I need to take a look at their landers 😁

Did you get to read what the SH said to the buyer? I know they have the option to negotiate for you if you're comfortable with that. The only problem I had with SH is that they price the name way lower than expected and their logo designers are hit or miss. Yeah their premium listing's commissions are very, very high... that's why I wanted to go the standard listing route.

I haven't sold any name through them yet. Sorry to hear about what happened to you there. Do you mind if I PM you about your experience with them? No pressure tho!

Last edited:
•••
It's sales I am after.
This doesn't makes any sense.

•••
I have removed all my domains from Dan and Afternic for good.

•••
@Younginn

Yeah you can PM me whenever. SAV definitely was 4% landers but idk if they changed that or not. I only used them for a few months with no success so maybe someone else with sales there can tell you their experience. I'm pretty sure there's a discussion about SAV on here you can look at too. Probably has some good info (y)

•••
Back