Impact
I was a victim of the epik hack

people were blackmailing me to take my site down

i was in a bunch of discord rooms for 'free speech' domain resellers

one of them says he will 'save me from the epik hack' paraphrased

he transfers me to enom

i ask to be transferred to eranet because i thought that's what he used

he quotes me $100/year

i pay and the receipt says $100/month (eranet is like $15-30/year)

he ignores me until i say i want to leave his service, at which point he says it was a mistake, and changes to 'renew' date of the monthly bill to a year from now

i tell him i don't like that hanging over me and to give me an email receipt of new plan, he refuses and insults me as being needy

i tell him i want to leave his services, he seems to agree (but without emaill receipts, as he refuses to contact by email)

i contact enom saying i'm worried about the reseller. they say there's nothing they can do. I tell them which nameservers it should always point at and tell them not to let it transfer without my explicit permission. they ignore me saying it's a customer dispute

i'm worried about the reseller possibly stealing my domain and/or pointing it to something weird

my domain this post is abouts incelwiki.com, which was like some attempt to make a non-misogynist resource for incels wanting to escape the 'blackpill philosophy'. Reseller tells me because it's a controversal domain, when I leave him i'll be 'out of luck'

a day afterward i can't leave cuz domain is locked from previous transfer, but my entire site gets hacked through an obscure construction site i had used the reseller as a cdn for briefly. Attempts were mad to modify all my sites at root. Because there's no proof it was the domain reseller, I don't think it was him, it could have also been the epik leakers contacting me.

Basically my nameservers should never change from pablo and candy at cloudflare.... ever, ever
and if they do that's an illegal action on the part of the reseller

any advice? i'm kinda bummed out, i run all sorts of different sites across many different registries, including left-wing ones. I just don't know what to do with this one. I''m not really willing to do anything except pressure enom though if this goes bad. Told them the nameservers should never change. Trying to avoid naming the reseller for now as all the discussion he gives me is through Discord so it's hard to verify any of it.

thanks,
William

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was a victim of the epik hack

people were blackmailing me to take my site down

i was in a bunch of discord rooms for 'free speech' domain resellers

one of them says he will 'save me from the epik hack' paraphrased

he transfers me to enom

i ask to be transferred to eranet because i thought that's what he used

he quotes me $100/year

i pay and the receipt says $100/month (eranet is like $15-30/year)

he ignores me until i say i want to leave his service, at which point he says it was a mistake, and changes to 'renew' date of the monthly bill to a year from now

i tell him i don't like that hanging over me and to give me an email receipt of new plan, he refuses and insults me as being needy

i tell him i want to leave his services, he seems to agree (but without emaill receipts, as he refuses to contact by email)

i contact enom saying i'm worried about the reseller. they say there's nothing they can do. I tell them which nameservers it should always point at and tell them not to let it transfer without my explicit permission. they ignore me saying it's a customer dispute

i'm worried about the reseller possibly stealing my domain and/or pointing it to something weird

my domain this post is abouts incelwiki.com, which was like some attempt to make a non-misogynist resource for incels wanting to escape the 'blackpill philosophy'. Reseller tells me because it's a controversal domain, when I leave him i'll be 'out of luck'

a day afterward i can't leave cuz domain is locked from previous transfer, but my entire site gets hacked through an obscure construction site i had used the reseller as a cdn for briefly. Attempts were mad to modify all my sites at root. Because there's no proof it was the domain reseller, I don't think it was him, it could have also been the epik leakers contacting me.

Basically my nameservers should never change from pablo and candy at cloudflare.... ever, ever
and if they do that's an illegal action on the part of the reseller

any advice? i'm kinda bummed out, i run all sorts of different sites across many different registries, including left-wing ones. I just don't know what to do with this one. I''m not really willing to do anything except pressure enom though if this goes bad. Told them the nameservers should never change. Trying to avoid naming the reseller for now as all the discussion he gives me is through Discord so it's hard to verify any of it.

thanks,
William

Stop taking unsolicited advice from the Internet.

•••
Stop taking unsolicited advice from the Internet.
yea I'm sort of a pushover

I think things will work out ok, I just wanted like some online record of this happening in case it turns worse

it shouldn't be going to eranet, or point to any content ever, at this point

•••
Was this the Twitter mob?

I dont have Twitter or use FB and my life better

Last edited:
•••
I was looking to get off Epik though and was asking around for best way to do that for my circumstance. Although with all the craziness happening i'm sorta done running websites, as I don't make much money off it and am a hobbyist

•••
I was looking to get off Epik though and was asking around for best way to do that for my circumstance. Although with all the craziness happening i'm sorta done running websites, as I don't make much money off it and am a hobbyist

So they successfully bullied you to quit?

Dude

•••
@depressednameowner

You're still in contact with Nick? He is/was a user here and is heavily tied to Epik...

•••
(I am not going to get into the politics and content of the actual website here.)

I read the post. I still am not sure what happened as it seems very convoluted.

There is always a risk of giving control of your domain to a 3rd party.

It sounds like you just got scammed by someone trying to take advantage of the Epik hack, and now they kind of have you at their mercy.

Outside legal action, I am not sure what you could do honestly, unless ICANN has some policy that the transfer could be reversed under.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
(I am not going to get into the politics and content of the actual website here.)

I read the post. I still am not sure what happened as it seems very convoluted.

There is always a risk of giving control of your domain to a 3rd party.

It sounds like you just got scammed by someone trying to take advantage of the Epik hack, and now they kind of have you at their mercy.

Outside legal action, I am not sure what you could do honestly, unless ICANN has some policy that the transfer could be reversed under.

Brad

The interesting part is that the reseller is a former/current E employee...

•••
So an optimistic update, the 60 hold was taken off by someone, likely Enom.

It shows it can be transferred.
I contacted Enom and they said they'd transfer it after I get EPP code from reseller and manually transfer it myself.

I contacted the reseller and it's been a day with no response, which is fine, but it it gets to 2-3 days, not so much. I guess I go to Enom and/or ICANN in that case.

;edit, a rep at Enom said over the phone they have a procedure for if the reseller is maliciously withholding an EPP code, so I guess I'd be ok in that case

In the meantime, the website should still not point to anything ever or change from my nameservers at candy.ns.cloudflare and pablo.ns.cloudflare.

;edit, Enom intervened by giving him 48 hours to help our request to transfer out. Eventually the domain was transferred into my account, as the person who was always was and is currently on the whois. Issue solved. Done

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back