IT.COM

analysis No XYZ... .COM is KING! Analyzed the URL patterns of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Digital Nomad

XNetwork.comTop Member
Impact
SquadHelp Founder & CEO Darpan shared a nice graph with the TLD Usage of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies. What stands out, that there is no XYZ in the list which must be less than 0.29%.

.COM is clearly the KING towering the graph like a skyscraper with a whopping 63.17%.

tweet.png

Source: Twitter

crunch.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My guess is they could not buy spring.com because it is already owned by another company, so they went with the domain hack spri.ng instead. PS it has almost been 2 years since the rebrand.

You can still find them through typing Teespring.com

The hack was a marketing gimmick to get tongues wagging.

•••
Has any King remained king forever? Go to history classes if you haven't been to one.
There are two ways .com would be toppled from its status.

The first is if the management of .com was changed in a way where suddenly, registered .coms could be hit with outrageous renewal fees.

The second being, if the technology we used to access domains changed in a way that users might not even know the addresses they were visiting. For instance, is I was in a virtual world and walking into a virtual bar. Perhaps each building has it's own domain but I'm just walking through a door so it wouldn't matter if I was entering oasis.bar, oasisbar.com, go-oasis.net or 8675309.online. Though I would think in this sort of scenario, the technology would just use IP addresses as domains would be unnecessary.

•••
Yes , .com of course , I have yet to figure out the sales in .xyz , they are happening though .

•••
I don't remember what exactly was said but someone posted they thought verisign didn't think com was king because they had .tv and will soon have .web.

Verisign makes money registering domain names. Whether sex.com sells for $100 or $10 million makes little difference to their bottom line. But getting owners to register extra domains to "protect" their .com is a great way to make money for them.

•••
I think.XYZ is the future. .xyz can not overtake .com but, currently it looks like a gem.

•••
There are two ways .com would be toppled from its status.

The first is if the management of .com was changed in a way where suddenly, registered .coms could be hit with outrageous renewal fees.

The second being, if the technology we used to access domains changed in a way that users might not even know the addresses they were visiting. For instance, is I was in a virtual world and walking into a virtual bar. Perhaps each building has it's own domain but I'm just walking through a door so it wouldn't matter if I was entering oasis.bar, oasisbar.com, go-oasis.net or 8675309.online. Though I would think in this sort of scenario, the technology would just use IP addresses as domains would be unnecessary.
oh....there are other ways to topple king .com, but it takes MONEY:xf.wink: Remember this?

Holy sh!t…Verisign just called out “Domain Scalpers” and its biggest customers.​

Someone like Elon Musk could take out king .com and replace it with king.link or kink.musk if he had a desire to do so:unsure:

•••
the current number of domains in my portfolio is +7000
my first choice .com 90 percent of my portfolio.
my second choice .XYZ 5 percent of my portfolio
and the rest are other extensions.
My first sale in the domain business was start.xyz which is currently being developed.
so I think in the future it is likely that .xyz will be used by many end users.

•••
If you can afford a stellar .com anyone would pick that over any other extension. Is .Com king 👑? yes nothing better. xyz has value and here to stay kinda like the info extension will lose value or time because everybody has them and selling for a quick buck.

Some sellers are doing their thing in regards with the xyz sales, congratulations, but its a struggle to get $100 for some good xyz domains let alone $X,xxx. Xyz is for the future internet web3 so we can not take that lightly at all..

•••
I think.XYZ is the future. .xyz can not overtake .com but, currently it looks like a gem.
hahahahhahaa. What is wrong with all of you - the .xyz fans? .XYZ is the future? That is the most mental statement there is.

•••
What matters is who is making money? Clearly XYZ owners are making money.
"Clearly" is very optimistic to write.

BTW - apologie to all the soft domaining souls that were offended by my "mental" comment about the .xyz enthusiasts. I was just trying to help.

•••
I reported the mental comment.

Debate without hate.
I did pick up an xyz other day ends in web3. Swetha has the first word, singular and plural but she has them all 😉
Gotta stay in topic right

•••
I reported the mental comment.

Debate without hate.
I did pick up an xyz other day ends in web3. Swetha has the first word, singular and plural but she has them all 😉
Gotta stay in topic right

•••
hahahahhahaa. What is wrong with all of you - the .xyz fans? .XYZ is the future? That is the most mental statement there is.
Wow, Namepros. This reply is still there, and my reply is deleted by admin, in which I have given some guidance to this commentator sofiapartner. Is the additional privileges to VIP members in comparison to normal members? If not, then why my comment is deleted and his/her comment is still there?

This is completely UNJUSTIFICATION.

What If, I will say that most mental decision is taken by Namepros Admin?

Last edited:
•••
I missed that, I see in my alerts my report has been politely declined and link to that post.
Heated debate/personal opinion,
Maybe you were off topic @ravidesai so your post got deleted
Starship.xyz looks like it might take off

•••
Had a bunch of xyzs earlier this year, dropped a couple & sold a couple for peanuts. Kept one dictionary 3l name, with zero end user interest to date.

Will see how things progress in the future, it's an extension worth watching at least.

P.S I don't take Swetha's success into account when considering xyz, she's an exception, the rest of us are not.

IMO

•••
Had a bunch of xyzs earlier this year, dropped a couple & sold a couple for peanuts. Kept one dictionary 3l name, with zero end user interest to date.

Will see how things progress in the future, it's an extension worth watching at least.

P.S I don't take Swetha's success into account when considering xyz, she's an exception, the rest of us are not.

IMO
What do you mean "she's an exception, the rest of us are not"? We're ALL an exception and that includes YOU:xf.wink:

•••
A lot I imagine.

Would love to see a breakdown on how many companies on CrunchBase upgraded to a .com after receiving funding......

•••
What do you mean "she's an exception, the rest of us are not"? We're ALL an exception and that includes YOU:xf.wink:
I mean that her business model is an exception, what she did was exceptional in terms of investing early on & grabbing the best xyz with standard renewals, & also that she owns thousands & thousands & pays hundreds of thousands in renewals, & makes hundreds of thousands, so in that sense she's indeed an exception.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I mean that her business model is an exception, what she did was exceptional in terms of investing early on & grabbing the best xyz with standard renewals, & also that she owns thousands & thousands & pays hundreds of thousands in renewals, & makes hundreds of thousands, so in that sense she's indeed an exception.

IMO
Thanks for the explanation, i feel sort of exceptional myself in that I saw an opportunity with .LINK to grab 1,500 of the best .LINK domains with standard renewals. My "premium" domains renew at $100 and others renew @ $10, thus buying me time to make .LINK the top new gTLD in the world. Thanks again(y)

•••
Back