IT.COM

analysis No XYZ... .COM is KING! Analyzed the URL patterns of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies.

NameSilo
Watch

Digital Nomad

Top Member
Impact
SquadHelp Founder & CEO Darpan shared a nice graph with the TLD Usage of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies. What stands out, that there is no XYZ in the list which must be less than 0.29%.

.COM is clearly the KING towering the graph like a skyscraper with a whopping 63.17%.

tweet.png

Source: Twitter

crunch.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don’t support ridiculous renewals but I also don’t support monopolies of people literally spending millions of dollars to perpetuate their goal of power in the industry (even) if that goal threatens us as investors
You are preaching to the choir. Not many people have been more outspoken against ICANN in general, and with the .COM contract in specific.

When it came to opposing the .ORG private equity takeover attempt, groups I am part of like ICA were leading that fight.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Scraping domains from the sources e.g. Crunchbase without checking whether or not the companies are still using the same domains/extensions ... is just yet another marketing-advertising move by SH. It means they're in need of more $.

Regards

•••
•••
Obviously .COM is the undisputed king of extensions. We domainers all know that as a fact.

But for me, as a full-time domainer, i don't care if I sell a .COM, a .XYZ or even a .HORSE, it's the total profit that matters, so I can "put food on the table".

I make most of my profit for the so called new gTLD's. Others make them from selling .COMs.

•••
Obviously .COM is the undisputed king of extensions. We domainers all know that as a fact.

But for me, as a full-time domainer, i don't care if I sell a .COM, a .XYZ or even a .HORSE, it's the total profit that matters, so I can "put food on the table".

I make most of my profit for the so called new gTLD's. Others make them from selling .COMs.
Yes, I'm agree on 200%.
Market is so huge with tons of possibilities.
Anyway I hold .COM domains and zero XYZ =)

Last edited:
•••
It's obvious that .COM is dominating. - You cannot tweek numbers & statistics so they fit your view.

But: sometimes an .xyz name sells for a good price (while the .com is still listed for a fraction of the .xyz sale price).
Even if an .xyz sale is far less often than .com, and therefore more hyped as @bmugford correctly described on page 1.

I won't take part in this discussion though, already too emotional.

Last edited:
•••
Has any King remained king forever? Go to history classes if you haven't been to one.

•••
Has any King remained king forever? Go to history classes if you haven't been to one.
Forever is a long time. For now and for the foreseeable, if we're getting technical

•••
To me it's walking outside everyday, looking up at the sky and telling people "Oh look the sky is blue". Because they might think otherwise if it wasn't for me constantly reiterating it.

But I understand, there are some wackos out there with massive influence and we really have to protect those poor souls that think the sky is green.

No in all sincerity, I get it. We gotta protect that blue sky from any other colors! At least with this thread though should really state at least the bias of it. It does not reflect whatsoever anything outside of this glorified "Crunchbase" data which is gleamed only to, well itself. If you truly are looking out for other folks who might misplace it to mean a totality of namespace usage.

•••
True true, nothing is forever, maybe not even domain names. But for now .COM is king.

•••
Forever is a long time. For now and for the foreseeable, if we're getting technical
Yeah we (sadly) have had monarchy for about 1,200 years........including the Scottish lines, without that around 1,100 years

I might be wrong but Japan is pushing on 1,500 years with a monarchical line (Emperor)........

Norway, Denmark and Sweden are still going strong after 1000 years + (I think)

Let's see if any domain extension gets anywhere close.......well we won't see because we'll be dead....but you get the idea

Last edited:
•••
Scraping domains from the sources e.g. Crunchbase without checking whether or not the companies are still using the same domains/extensions ... is just yet another marketing-advertising move by SH. It means they're in need of more $.

Regards

For "I don't get"members aka ...
9.png

IF, SH's crunch data includes HappifyHealth dot com .... that is misinformation / false. About 6 mo ago, the company rebrands to dot health.

Regards

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
many ... 1.3 million and counting.

Regards
1.3 million out of how many? Can you post a small list of more examples.

•••
1.3 million out of how many? Can you post a small list of more examples.

Sorry, not going to do that. It's business. Another example - Teespring dot com to Spri dot ng

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, not going to do that. It's business. Another example - Teespring dot com to Spri dot ng

Regards
But they are still using the .com too.

teespring.png

Last edited:
•••
But they are still using the .com too.

Show attachment 226925

In rebranding, the need to transition to the new brand name / domain / website a smooth transition rule is - maintain Authenticity and Control of the rebranding and Ease your customer journey as well.

Regards

•••
In rebranding, the need to transition to the new brand name / domain / website a smooth transition rule is - maintain Authenticity and Control of the rebranding and Ease your customer journey as well.

Regards
My guess is they could not buy spring.com because it is already owned by another company, so they went with the domain hack spri.ng instead. PS it has almost been 2 years since the rebrand.

Last edited:
•••
My guess is they could not buy spring.com because it is already owned by another company, so they went with the domain hack spri.ng instead. PS it has almost been 2 years since the rebrand.
They are still using "teespring" in king. So I guess they are in fact not sure about the spri dot ng experiment.

I wonder how many of their users already go to spring dot com, instead to spri dot ng (a nightmare to type it correctly by the way). Sprin.g? Spr.ing? oh yeah finally, spring.com! :oops: :xf.grin:

If you type it or want to send an email quickly, you just type spring dot com, or send an email to info AT spring dot com

There will be always people willing to play and do experiments, but sooner rather than later, they will realise that having teespring dot com is better than having that new experiment.

In fact, when you go to spri dot ng and click on "start creating, it's free" they take you to teespring in king :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
My guess is they could not buy spring.com because it is already owned by another company, so they went with the domain hack spri.ng instead.
& a few mo after com to ng ... November 2022: Amaze dot co acquires Spri dot ng
(a well known domain extension is indeed -must have-, but when you build something that's cool & useful and your customers base reach the magic number, ... no matter what kind of domain extension, every fund is looking (yawn) at you, Like wolves stalking prey. Maybe, a year or two after Spr.ing :)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
& a few mo after com to ng ... November 2022: Amaze dot co acquires Spri dot ng
(a well known domain extension is indeed -must have-, but when you build something that's cool & useful and your customers base reach the magic number, ... no matter what kind of domain extension, every fund is looking (yawn) at you, Like wolves stalking prey. Maybe, a year or two after Spr.ing :)

Regards
Thanks for the info, I still want to see a list of atleast 50 if you can. BTW Did you mistype spr.ing on purpose? :tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
Thanks for the info, I still want to see a list of atleast 50 if you can. BTW Did you mistype spr.ing on purpose? :tightlyclosedeyes:
:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin: No sooner said than done. :ROFL:
I wonder how many of their users already go to spring dot com, instead to spri dot ng (a nightmare to type it correctly by the way). Sprin.g? Spr.ing? oh yeah finally, spring.com!

Last edited:
•••
•••
We should go back to the OP theme ... SH stats & analysis. :)

Regards

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back