IT.COM

analysis No XYZ... .COM is KING! Analyzed the URL patterns of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Digital Nomad

Top Member
Impact
SquadHelp Founder & CEO Darpan shared a nice graph with the TLD Usage of over 2 million Crunchbase listed companies. What stands out, that there is no XYZ in the list which must be less than 0.29%.

.COM is clearly the KING towering the graph like a skyscraper with a whopping 63.17%.

tweet.png

Source: Twitter

crunch.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How long is that going to take?

"New" extensions go back around (9) years now.

Outside .XYZ and a handful of other new extensions hardly anyone seems to care about the many hundreds (or thousands) of other new extensions.

If people are not "educated" by now, that is a problem.

Maybe many are educated, they just don't care.

I have a hard time believing the new gTLD proponents from the past, you know the ".COM is AM radio" or ".COM is dead" group expected this little traction almost a decade later.

Brad

I’m genuinely amazed ...

I never said .com is dead so don’t put or assume I’m from that division of “investors” ... I own both .com and new .extensions that make sense ...

Many people here have seen the names that my partner and I own

I’m not some clown that is going to promise you something I don’t know of

Because we cannot predict the future

But I’m also not going to support a lie that was perpetuated by big corporate to insure they have their foot in the door always and I’m not going to sit here and nod my head (because) I cannot think for myself ^

If anyone here can hand register a single keyword .com domain name I will retract my statement ^

The internet is constantly growing, hence we have new .extensions in the 1st place ^ the numbers are only going up ... over 1,000,000 business’ alone during the pandemic switched their physical fronts to digital fronts, because being “online” is where the $$$ is ...

But what does that mean for us ? That means expect to see some business out there with cheap dog ass names that no one is ever going to remember ... .com or not ^ we have long passed that threshold, and @bmugford what do you mean by no one cares about anything but .com

Honest to god,

The crypto industry alone commands a value of $1T in market value ^ and many don’t own their .com ... Bitcoin, Ethereum, none of these guys who are more talked about then ever before “own” their .com domain ... while we are talking about people of power, very few government entities owns their .com domain ... like the investor who owned france.com and lost a UDRP case with the government of France ...

https://domainnamewire.com/2021/12/13/supreme-court-declines-to-hear-france-com-case/

•••
There is always so much worry about dot-com positioning it's humorous. It's like this constant need for reassurance.

•••
•••
Maybe the average consumer already knows the new .extensions are not worth to start a serious business on them, so they pay and prefer the real deal, the king .COM.

The average consumer already knows that if they have the .COM, they have THE domain for their brand.

Choose whatever .newextension instead of .COM and you will be dreaming everyday about your daddy, the king .COM, taking a big bite of your traffic and marketing efforts. Not to mention the big amount of emails sent to the .COM instead to your .whatever extension.

That's why the average consumer prefers the .COM. (y)

You know critical thinking is a very important skill that the majority of the world lacks ... I believe that your words above emphasize that accordingly

•••
You know critical thinking is a very important skill that the majority of the world lacks ... I believe that your words above emphasize that accordingly
And another important skill in life is to have respect and a peaceful mind.

•••
There is always so much worry about dot-com positioning it's humorous. It's like this constant need for reassurance.
I don't think it's positioning.....more like fact checking.....

When people spout nonsense or position something that is not factually correct then it's needs to be discussed / called out.....

There has been a few posts on here that have not been right.......comparisons are made that highlight .com over certain extensions...... does not mean it is positioning

Last edited:
•••
And another important skill in life is to have respect and a peaceful mind.

Trust me, that was my respectful statement ... I have no care in the world for anyone who cannot think critically for themselves ... the world is full of people who follow “the normal” because that’s all they know ... you can do with that what you will ...

•••
You have few straw man arguments in there.
You are arguing against something I never said.

I never said .com is dead so don’t put or assume I’m from that division of “investors” ... I own both .com and new .extensions that make sense ...
I never said you said that.

".COM is like AM radio" was said by Frank Schilling. He has been rightfully mocked over those comments.
Even as he said that, he was probably the most active bidder on NameJet for .COM domains.

https://www.thedomains.com/2013/09/...ve-from-london-com-will-become-like-am-radio/

".COM is dead" were comments made by Mind & Machines while promoting new extensions.
https://domaininvesting.com/minds-machines-dot-com-dead/

But what does that mean for us ? That means expect to see some business out there with cheap dog ass names that no one is ever going to remember ... .com or not ^ we have long passed that threshold, and @bmugford what do you mean by no one cares about anything but .com
Again, something I did not say. Please read it again.

Outside .XYZ and a handful of other new extensions hardly anyone seems to care about the many hundreds (or thousands) of other new extensions.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think it's positioning.....more like fact checking.....

When people spout nonsense or position something that is not factually correct then it's needs to be discussed / called out.....

There has been a few posts on here that have not been right.......comparisons are made that highlight .com over certain extensions...... does mean it is positioning

Then let’s call out Verisign and see if they’ll admit that they defrauded their investors by selling them products that led to domain leakage ...

Stop with the BS ... all I have seen here today is the same people who cannot think critically for themselves and or can think critically for themselves and only have one goal in mind, to depreciate any .extensions (that) they believe pose a threat to the value of their .com

I mean honestly what’s with the title of this post - NO XYZ .COM is king

Well I’d bet a pretty penny that 99% of the people here agree with that ^ so why post it ...

Take care

Last edited:
•••
Trust me, that was my respectful statement ... I have no care in the world for anyone who cannot think critically for themselves ... the world is full of people who follow “the normal” because that’s all they know ... you can do with that what you will ...
So if someone doesn't agree with you, they "cannot think critically"? :ROFL:

Some people have a difference of opinions. That is fine.
You need to relax a bit. You seem so offended by everything.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You first. It's obvious that you are stuck in your ".newextension dream" loop. People here are telling you the reasons why .COM is the preferred domain extension by large.

Facts, reality, versus fantasy. It's not me, nor domainers who say .COM is the king. It's the people, the world, that clearly prefers a .COM as the defining and king extension for a domain name.

That's why everybody, once they have the chance, upgrades to the .COM when they have the funds. It's not for play or for throwing away their funds. It's for a reason, and the reason is the king .COM (y)

•••
Then let’s call out Verisign and see if they’ll admit that they defrauded their investors by selling them products that led to domain leakage ...

Stop with the BS ... all I have seen here today is the same people who cannot think critically for themselves and or can think critically for themselves and only have one goal in mind, to depreciate any .extensions (that) they believe pose a threat to the value of their .com

Well I’d bet a pretty penny that 99% of the people here agree with that ^ so why post it ...

Take care
Title meant No XYZ or .Credit or .Whatever in the top list of CrunchBase companies, but .COM is king, read it as you like.

Peace and lots of love to you :) Take care

Last edited:
•••
There's no need for reassurance. It's just stating the facts of real life. So no one is misled about .newextension chants.

Last edited:
•••

Take care
I think you need to re read this thread - people have shared their reasoning, without having to resort to name calling / insults to make their point

You have tried use facts out of context to suit your own agenda - that's not critical thinking, that's just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole......putting it politely

•••
Title meant No XYZ or .Credit or .Whatever in the top list of CrunchBase companies, but .COM is king, read it as you like.

Peace and lots of love to you :) Take care

what I wrote to Nick wasn’t for you

Take care “when responding” to someone else, not sure why you felt the need to reply in reference to my salutations to them ...

That said, it is clearly obvious that the post is filled with pro .com investors hence not a single person took a look at the redacted document from Verisign I posted

And @bmugford “critical thinking” was postured towards @Sutruk (not) you, or anyone else for that matter ... I have no problem debating with reasonable investors with a different mentality but calling .com daddy is too cringe for my taste and chanting .com only while .com only (Verisign) invests in other .extensions is pretty fascinating to say the least

•••
I think you need to re read this thread - people have shared their reasoning, without having to resort to name calling / insults to make their point

You have tried use facts out of context to suit your own agenda - that's not critical thinking, that's just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole......putting it politely

Facts out of context, I was done with you, now I want you to elaborate “facts” out of context ...

•••

Take care “when responding” to someone else, not sure why you felt the need to reply in reference to my salutations to them ...

That said, it is clearly obvious that the post is filled with pro .com investors hence not a single person took a look at the redacted document from Verisign I posted

And @bmugford “critical thinking” was postured towards @Sutruk (not) you, or anyone else for that matter ... I have no problem debating with reasonable investors with a different mentality but calling .com daddy is too cringe for my taste and chanting .com only while .com only (Verisign) invests in other .extensions is pretty fascinating to say the least
Seriously mate - have you been drinking? :xf.smile:

I responded to a comment that you responded to me

Edit

Came across as if I was drinking...... the post above was not meant for me

Last edited:
•••

What I wrote was meant for you. And I created that title, so I will respond to your comment which was meant for me.

.COM is king no matter what anyone says, it is a fact. I am even happy for people having success with other extensions, I have stated that clearly many times with great sales in XYZ, nothing against people or critical minds or extensions etc., but rudeness and disrespect I won't tolerate. You have to respect the difference of opinions of others, don't attack them by calling names etc. anyways this is my last post to you.

The future is uncertain and things may change indeed. But when I see a great post and analysis, I'll post it, if you like the title or not, take care.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously mate - have you been drinking? :xf.smile:

I responded to a comment that you responded to me

Edit

Came across as if I was drinking...... the post above was not meant for me
Yea I’m drinking a vanilla shake,

Hbu, what’s on your table
What I wrote was meant for you. And I created that title, so I will respond to your comment which was meant for me.

.COM is king no matter what anyone says, it is a fact. I am even happy for people having success with other extensions, I have stated that clearly many times with great sales in XYZ, nothing against people or critical minds etc. But when I see a great post and analysis, I'll post it, if you like the title or not, take care.

I never argued that .com wasn’t king for now, I argued that domain leakage doesn’t exist and not a single one of you have displayed any examples to counter the argument ...

I said anyone who cannot think critically for themselves “in the case” of recognizing what Verisign is doing is wrong (if) they know that domain leakage is a thing but continue to market new .extensions for sale

But you’re sitting there playing possum ...

Last edited:
•••
I am not going to address every point, but traffic leakage is certainly a thing.

It is likely to be far worse with some extensions more than others.
For instance confusingly similar extensions like .CO vs .COM. Ask Overstock how that worked out.

O.co loses 61% of its traffic to O.com

Patrick Byrne told financial analysts yesterday that “O.co was my bad call” and that “about eight out of 13 people who were trying to visit us through O.co, eight were typing O.com”
It’s not clear what the source of the data is, or why the measurement given was out of 13, but it works out to 61%.

Byrne noted that people may have typed o.co instead after figuring out that o.com doesn’t work – it’s currently reserved, alongside most other single-letter .com domains, by Verisign.
His comments came as Overstock reported 2011 revenue down 3% to $1.05 billion and fourth-quarter revenue down 10% to $314 million.

Brad

Brad if you read what I wrote then you’ll know that I already addressed Overstock

They clearly lived up to their promise

So why doesn’t Verisign sell them O.com as they promised that they would

Last edited:
•••
I never argued that .com wasn’t king for now, I argued that domain leakage doesn’t exist and not a single one of you have displayed any examples to counter the argument ...
I gave a well known example earlier in this thread. Domain leakage certainly does exist, in some cases.
I have seen other studies as well that show it.

But it is normally when the domain itself is more confusingly similar, or hard to recall.
I said anyone who cannot think critically for themselves “in the case” of recognizing what Verisign is doing is wrong (if) they know that domain leakage is a thing but continue to market new .extensions for sale
Verisign is hedging their bets. They don't own .COM or .NET.

They are simply allowed to operate the registry under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.
It is a contract they could potentially lose one day, if it was rightfully opened up for qualified public bidding.

They would actually own .Web.

Brad

•••
So why doesn’t Verisign sell them O.com as they promised that would
Verisign does not own the .COM registry. They are simply allowed to operate it under contract.

If any single character .COM was actually made available it would likely be a lengthy process involving more than just Verisign simply deciding to hand it over to a party. That would face massive resistance.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I gave a well known example earlier in this thread. Domain leakage certainly does exist, in some cases.
I have seen other studies as well that show it.

But it is normally when the domain itself is more confusingly similar, or hard to recall.

Verisign is hedging their bets. They don't own .COM or .NET.

They are simply allowed to operate the registry under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.
It is a contract they could potentially lose one day, if it was rightfully opened up for qualified public bidding.

They would actually own .Web.

Attachments

• 20B0497C-5AC3-4F63-AC5E-20663172362C.jpeg
    20B0497C-5AC3-4F63-AC5E-20663172362C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
•••
There have been contracts in the past where Verisign was not allowed to raise rates.

New Verisign deal blocks .com price hikes
https://money.cnn.com/2012/11/30/technology/verisign/

The raising rates part is where the sweetheart deal comes into play.

Verisign has technically done a good job managing the registry, but the big issue is price increases.
If there was a public bidding process, prices would likely come down drastically.

Of course with extensions like .XYZ, your are far more at the whim of the actual registry owner.
That is why you have premium registration and/or renewal fees and tiers.

That type of system will never appeal to me.

Brad

•••
There have been contracts in the past where Verisign was not allowed to raise rates.

New Verisign deal blocks .com price hikes
https://money.cnn.com/2012/11/30/technology/verisign/

The raising rates part is where the sweetheart deal comes into play.

Verisign has technically done a good job managing the registry, but the big issue is price increases.
If there was a public bidding process, prices would likely come down drastically.

Of course with extensions like .XYZ, your are far more at the whim of the actual registry owner.
That is why you have premium registration and/or renewal fees and tiers.

That type of system will never appeal to me.

Brad

I don’t support ridiculous renewals but I also don’t support monopolies of people literally spending millions of dollars to perpetuate their goal of power in the industry (even) if that goal threatens us as investors

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back