Dynadot

No Whois owner info after two weeks of a domain registration

NameSilo
Watch

teroseal

Impact
I am interested in acquiring a specific domain. The domain in question was released from the pendingDelete period 16 days ago on 2/24, but the networksolutions.com backorder service immediately re-registered the domain.

Now, 16 days later, the domain's whois information does not show the domain's owner. Look at the attached screenshot. Whois database returns "No match for "XXXX.COM"" (I redacted the domain name itself).

Here is the screenshot:
0x0.st/HigO.png

Here is the complete whois command output:
pastebin.com/YXiY7930

It looks like someone backordered the domain but didn't activate it. No one has added DNS records to the nameservers.

I found an Icann blog post with the following statement: "Subsection 3.7.7.2 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement does not require a registrar to cancel a registration if a customer does not respond within 15 days. Therefore, networksolutions.com could cancel the registration of the domain concerned due to missing accurate whois information.

icann.org/en/announcements/details/registrar-advisory-concerning-the-15-day-period-in-whois-accuracy-requirements-3-4-2003-en

Do you have any information as to why the domain has incomplete whois records? Or any information on how long it takes to update whois records for new domains, especially domains registered with networksolutions.com.

Thanks in advance for your help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If its a 4 letter it likely went to auction after it was caught. Those never actually drop.

•••
Upvote 0
It's ten characters long .com domain, so I don't think it will be auctioned off.

Do auctions usually have a public website where you can see status or are they private only to those who have backordered the domain?

•••
Upvote 0
It may be not the "incomplete data" but the server's failure to provide the data. Have you tried using Network Solutions own whois serivce to check as well?

•••
Upvote 0
They can be publicly viewed but in some places you can only bid if you backorderd it.

At Dropcatch for example you can bid on any drop in auction even if you didn’t backorder.

There is no way to know without knowing the name and don’t post it here. Did you check here for most accurate info? https://lookup.icann.org/en

*One last thought, might be off but NetSol has been accused of warehousing domains in the past not sure if it was rectified*

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Yeah, I have tried the whois query using Network Solutions and Icann whois lookup tools.

Every whois database returns the same incomplete whois info. Registrar RDAP Response is almost empty.

I also tried querying the source whois server with this command on Linux:
Code:
whois -h whois.web.com XXXX.com

The domain had been in existence for approximately 20 years prior to expiration. It is likely that NetSol automatically registered the domain and warehoused it.

•••
Upvote 0
Yes it is not bad information about the domain registration ...

•••
Upvote 0
I am interested in acquiring a specific domain. The domain in question was released from the pendingDelete period 16 days ago on 2/24, but the networksolutions.com backorder service immediately re-registered the domain.

Now, 16 days later, the domain's whois information does not show the domain's owner. Look at the attached screenshot. Whois database returns "No match for "XXXX.COM"" (I redacted the domain name itself).

Here is the screenshot:
0x0.st/HigO.png

Here is the complete whois command output:
pastebin.com/YXiY7930

It looks like someone backordered the domain but didn't activate it. No one has added DNS records to the nameservers.

I found an Icann blog post with the following statement: "Subsection 3.7.7.2 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement does not require a registrar to cancel a registration if a customer does not respond within 15 days. Therefore, networksolutions.com could cancel the registration of the domain concerned due to missing accurate whois information.

icann.org/en/announcements/details/registrar-advisory-concerning-the-15-day-period-in-whois-accuracy-requirements-3-4-2003-en

Do you have any information as to why the domain has incomplete whois records? Or any information on how long it takes to update whois records for new domains, especially domains registered with networksolutions.com.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I understand your interest in acquiring a specific domain and your observations regarding its Whois information. The screenshot and the Whois command output you provided indicate that the domain in question currently has incomplete or unavailable Whois records. This could be due to various reasons, such as the registrar's policies or the domain's current status.

Regarding the specific situation with networksolutions.com, it's challenging to determine the exact reason for the incomplete Whois records without further information. Registrar policies and processes can vary, and it's possible that the domain registration is in a transitional or pending state.

To obtain accurate and up-to-date information about the domain's status and Whois records, I recommend reaching out to the registrar directly. Networksolutions.com should be able to provide you with more specific details regarding the domain's current status and any relevant updates.

As for how long it takes to update Whois records for new domains, the timeframe can also vary depending on the registrar and other factors. Generally, it can take a few hours up to a couple of days for Whois records to reflect the most recent information.

I hope this information helps, and I encourage you to contact networksolutions.com for further assistance and clarification regarding the domain you're interested in.

•••
Upvote 0
It's ten characters long .com domain, so I don't think it will be auctioned off.

Do auctions usually have a public website where you can see status or are they private only to those who have backordered the domain?
Typically, domain auctions have both public and private components. Public auctions are often conducted by specialized domain auction platforms where anyone interested in bidding can participate. These platforms usually provide public access to view the status and details of the auctioned domains, including bidding activity and current high bids.

On the other hand, private auctions are typically limited to participants who have expressed interest or placed backorders on a specific domain through registrars or backorder services. The details of private auctions, such as bidding activity and participating bidders, may not be publicly available.

The availability of information about domain auctions can vary depending on the specific auction platform and the registrar or service handling the auction. It's recommended to check with the relevant auction platform or registrar for more specific details on how they conduct and disclose information about their auctions.

•••
Upvote 0
Back