Dynadot

No more Hostgator for me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
They were great for so many years and have gone way done hill since being purchases by EIG. I have a support ticket that has not been answered for more than 12 hours and when I call they just tell me I have to wait in line. I actually got a voicemail on some calls I made to them today.

Are there any good hosts out there left that have not been bought by EIG?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Try Hostwinds

They were great for so many years and have gone way done hill since being purchases by EIG. I have a support ticket that has not been answered for more than 12 hours and when I call they just tell me I have to wait in line. I actually got a voicemail on some calls I made to them today.

Are there any good hosts out there left that have not been bought by EIG?

The list of EIG hosts is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

If you are looking for a smaller company, I've got some accounts at Hostwinds and am happy with the servers, prices and their support team.

•••
•••
I have seen many unhappy customers lately who have left Host Gator.

What are your web hosting requirements such as location, disk space, bandwidth, etc.

•••
I have seen many unhappy customers lately who have left Host Gator.

What are your web hosting requirements such as location, disk space, bandwidth, etc.

A BIG requirement would be 24/7 support via phone. Not just a ticket system where you have to wait for an answer or fake live support when you click on it and it is not available.

•••
A BIG requirement would be 24/7 support via phone. Not just a ticket system where you have to wait for an answer or fake live support when you click on it and it is not available.

Rackspace offers 24x7x365

You don't say what you want to pay.
You don't mention what your problem is.
You don't state what your "downtime" has been that causes you so much concern?

Most of the time people that complain the loudest are the ones paying < $5 a month for a Shared Hosting account running heavy CMS but want full support from "English speakers" - so I'm curious if you're different :)

•••
Asmallorange.com is cheap and has been trouble free. That said, I must be easy to please, because I've had no issues with Hostgator either.

•••
•••
Asmallorange.com is cheap and has been trouble free. That said, I must be easy to please, because I've had no issues with Hostgator either.

Well, AsmallOrange is also owned by EIG, so it just might not cut it for the OP. As for 24/7 via chat/mail/phone, you won't find it hard to come across such companies, but the actual quality of support is the thing that separates most hosts (and where EIG hosts seem to be lacking big time). My best advice would be to list your requirements and questions you might have for your new host and simply go and chat with them. You will be surprised of how much you can learn about a host and their services by a simple chat, the way operators handle and answer questions is indicative of how you will be handled once you become a customer. For example our operators undergo series of training before we even let them chat with a real person and I strongly believe this should become industry practice :)

Hope that helps :)

•••
Rackspace offers 24x7x365

Most of the time people that complain the loudest are the ones paying < $5 a month for a Shared Hosting account running heavy CMS but want full support from "English speakers" - so I'm curious if you're different :)

:]

Last edited:
•••
I am subscribing the thread as I am looking for a reliable hosting provider too. Possibly eco-friendly ( wind powered or so ). Thanks to the OP for opening the thread.

•••
With most hosting companies you are 'rolling the dice' when you get a shared account -- and 'rolling the dice' again when you contact support. Meaning that you may or may not be put on an overloaded server -- and you may or may not be talking to a support person that is knowledgeable.

Getting a VPS will solve the first issue, but nothing will solve crappy support. If you think you will need support, or you are just starting to learn about hosting, good support people are an invaluable resource.

If you think you will require support for hosting you should contact the hosting company multiple times by telephone, email and chat before signing up so you can see how they handle you. If you are going to generally request support at 11PM your local time, or only on the weekend, that's when you should test them out.

Also it is easy to change hosting companies and move your stuff -- especially if you have a WHM/cPanel account.

•••
Looks like Hostgator will no longer really be offering their 99.9% uptime guarantee and refund - if they go down they just claim afterwards that it was "scheduled maintenance" and so isn't covered by the guarantee. Funny, scheduled maintenance is something you announce in advance, which they didn't.

Their own TOS does not exclude scheduled maintenance from the refund guarantee so this company is looking increasingly inconsistent and untrustworthy.

•••

They are owned by EIG, but I did transfer one hosting account to them and so far the support has been great. I hope it stays that way. Also, the site is loading much faster, so that is a nice bonus.

Like Rado_Ch suggested I did test their live support before moving and it was pretty darn good.

They had me up and running in less than 3 hours.

Edit for an update:

So far so good, no downtime that I am aware of and the site is still loading quickly. Also, the way they structure the hosting plans makes a lot of sense. Pay for what you are using and if you need more then just bump up to the next plan.

Here is a quote from wikipedia regarding EIG:

"Customers of host companies that have been bought by EIG are usually sent an email advising of a server upgrade when in fact they are transferring their sites to their platform. This often results in site owners noticing their websites performing much slower. Complainants are advised of ways to speed up their sites using caching etc."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

So far that does not seem to be the case with asmallorange.com and as long as it stays that way I will continue to use them and start transfering other hosting accounts to them.

Last edited:
•••
Whats Going On Now With HG

Host Gator Dedicated and Reseller servers down again for around 12 Hours!! a few months ago, the same thing happened!

•••
Servers were up (technically speaking) - word is they were having a router issue.

•••
Sometimes using hosting services from small, but reliable companies can be a better solution, especially if they provide good support and performance ;)

•••
•••
^ You might need to clear cache & cookies, as it helps sometimes in such situations

•••
I left HostGator last week after being with them over 6 years. They have gone down hill since the sale to EIG. My last ticket was responded to after 24 hours.

•••
Going down again today. Did get my refund of a month's hosting latest time they went down but not the one before that - latest was onnly 17 hours downtime, according to their website.

But a heads up for domain owners if anyone here still is stuck with HG: one of my sites went to a parking page with ads presumably set up by Hostgator - if it was a domain you do not want to display ads that could have bad consequences.

•••
I'd recommend to move to another hosting provider if you're experiencing so many troubles.

In the offers section, there are many good hosting companies and in many cases small companies would offer better service, support and server performance. So, if you make some research about hoster's past, their uptime, reviews, etc, you can definitely get proper one, which would fit your needs.

Cheers!

•••
Try narrowing your list of options by looking at the cheapest web host package that can meet your needs at the same time.

•••
that is too bad to hear. Not being a fan of (any) shared host myself, I still thought Hostagtor kept making good job compared to others. No with such bad reports, what expect from the rest of sh providers...

•••
They seem to spend a lot on marketing but left out support really bad. Too many unplanned maintenance from them and outages as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back