Dynadot

advice newyork.com or newyorkcity.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello all!

Would like to know your thoughts on this one, which is more preferable between the two? And why? Please note that the given domain is only an example.

Thanks for your inputs and comments!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Both have value but obviously newyork.com is monster and newyork city is like baby monster (y)(y)

•••
In this case the first one, because has more potential end users, NYC is limited to NYC.

•••
New York, shorter, more broad, applies to more people

Cant go wrong with either one though :xf.laugh:

•••
New York City is a world of its own. Not a very usable example.

It's like asking Mexico vs. Mexico City.

•••
both or none, redirect the newyork to newyorkcity.com.. whoohoo!

•••
Should be obvious, just saying.
Newyork
Probably a better question would be NYC vs NewYorkCity

Last edited:
•••
I own a bunch of NYCxxxxxxx.com domains, NewYorkCity is too long.

Also newyork and newyorkcity are not really interchangeable. newyork means the whole giant state, including Long Island. newyorkcity means the island of Manhattan and the four other boroughs, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island.

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I'd choose NewYork.com

•••
•••
Thanks for the input all. Guess without a doubt the state name wins since it covers a larger area plus its shorter. Just concerned and think there maybe more appeal to the city name since it is the main city itself which is more well known vs. the state.

•••
Understanding that these names are just substitutes to hide the real names in question. And these two names can be specifically, identified, with different geographical locations. Which might not be the case with your real names. I'd say the name without the "city" tagged onto the end would always be the more valuable domain. But both are desirable and suitable for anything related to the city in question.

•••
and don't forget nycity.*
taken in 50 or so extensions too ;)

•••
Back