IT.COM

domain Newcomer seeking appraisal on domain list (Citigreens.com, BotimusPrime.io, Foxcom.io, AptrentList.com, TelehealthCounsel.com, etc.)

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

LH1

Top Member
Impact
Hi there - just joined Namepros and the domaining community (although have been ramping up interest and acquisiions over the past few months). Love the community and especially the friendly support I see on the threads. I recently listed about 40 domains on godaddy auctions and have not seen any visits. Curious on how to drive traffic and also informal appraisal for a select group of domains below. Fulsome list can be provided as well just lmk.

Some background: my domains are generally in the following sectors RE, Telemedicine, cannabis, tech, highly concentrated city geos, some bitcoin, and a credit repair/cash lending.

Have done a ton of outbound to companies within these spaces and that contain keyword in domain but have not had any success although emails have been concise and straight to the point. Any input there would be appreciated but really looking for assessment and saleability for the below domains. Thanks much.

2698.io

Aptrentlist.com

Botimusprime.io

Citigreens.com

Curakeef.com

fastloansus.com

foxcom.io

Kushciti.com

kushgreensdispensary.com

Landlordsliabilityinsurance.com

Litigio.us

medicinalcannabisclinic.com

mobilecarepharmacy.com

Mydrugas.com

Notaryous.com

payrents.online

perpay.io

PetVetLIC.com

pharmaxcare.com

Reeefer.com

telehealthcounsel.com

telehealthdatabase.com

wipecleandebt.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey @LH1 and welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of names here, so I'll provide some general feedback on them (with a few specific examples). This will all be based on my personal opinion and experience, and without doing research on each name (I did look at a few).

Your brandable names
A lot of them fall into a classic new domainer's trap of being a bit too clever (e.g. BotimusPrime, Notaryous, CuraKeef). They sound cool, but when you step back and think about whether a company would pay hundreds or thousands to own these names, they lose their shine.
  • Would a notary want to use a clever name (does it convey the right message)?
  • Is "keef" a strong enough cannabis term to build a brand around, and if so, is "cura" a strong enough word to pair with it?
Brand names are tricky to buy well, and selecting them relies on feel as much as it relies on research. Good general rules are to:
  1. Pick strong root words to build them around.
  2. Do research on what types of names sell. Namebio is good for this, and it can be helpful to see what types of names are accepted by sites like BrandBucket and SquadHelp.
  3. Avoid using more than one gimmick. So if the gimmick in your name is going to be a mis-spelling, make sure you're not also adding a second word, or a second mis-spelling. If it's a two-word name, make it two real words. So while I might like a name like KushCity, I would avoid KushCiti. I know "citi" is used in some brands, but I don't think "kush" is a strong enough term to get away with it here.
  4. Think about the radio test. If a business needs to explain or spell its name in radio ads, or when talking with people, it becomes less accessible, and thus less appealing.
  5. Ideally, you want to see evidence of other businesses/products/campaigns using the name you're buying. Even if there isn't a ton of evidence, seeing uptake from a few others can be a point in the name's favour.
Your exact match names
With these, you want to ensure that the term in your name is strong enough that it could either define the business, or define one of their core offerings (product- or service-wise). And you want to see A LOT of evidence of this term being used by existing businesses.

Names that refer to lists or databases probably won't get much traction, unless the pairing word is very strong and/or broad.

Longer names can be much trickier as well. The more words you add to a name, the more potential competition you're going to have from other (better?) options. Taking your WipeCleanDebt as an example. Some other options that are as good or better could be: WipeDebtClean, WipeOutDebt, GetRidOfDebt, SayGoodbyeToDebt, DebtWipeOut, ObliterateDebt, etc. With so many other potential options, you really want to make sure you have the best of it (i.e. the most popular term, or the most grammatically well-phrased term, for that particular thing).

Outbound selling
A lot of folks here will tell you not to waste your time on it, or they'll caution you on the spammy nature of it. I'm not one of those people, and I think that engaging in outbound selling can be particularly helpful in your early days. You might not be raking in big bucks, but if you do it right, you could see a somewhat regular cashflow, and you'll also be getting a better sense of what names companies will actually buy from you.

I am, however, a strong believer in only doing very targeted outbound selling. So for me, the fact that a company has a word in their name that matches a word in my name is not enough. I only approach companies with names that represent a key offering or interest of theirs. And I do not try to sell them names that exactly match the name of their company, as this could be seen as bad faith selling (and trying to profit off their established brand). All of my past outbound sales have been exact matches of products or services, for example: Custom/Barn/Doors, Custom/Fedoras, Parkour/Insurance, Ornament/Storage, Bicycle/Packing, etc.

Closing thoughts
Some of your names are on the right track. I like the following:
  • Foxcom.io - Short and strong brand. Already a few developed sites using this name.
  • MobileCarePharmacy.com - There appear to be a couple pharmacies branding themselves in this way, and the term is built in the most appealing way for a business to use.
  • Litigio.us - Single word Spanish term, and also a cool domain hack. Admittedly I don't know the .us market at all, but this seems good enough to hang onto.
When buying names in the future, be extremely picky. Look for reasons not to buy each name you like.

When it comes to researching your names, don't make it too complicated. Some people get all excited about search volume and CPC and backlinks, but I have never sold a name because of those metrics. Honestly, Google is your best friend. Just see how the name/term is being used in the real world. Use the quote marks around the term to get exact matches in your searches.

For keyword popularity among aftermarket sales, Namebio is great (as mentioned), and can help you get a sense of whether or not a term you're focusing on is getting a lot of aftermarket action. Also good for gauging the aftermarket popularity of alternate (non .com) extensions. For these, you almost always want to focus on single words, or extremely strong two-word or invented names.

Good luck in your future sales! This is a great community with lots of awesome historical info to pour over, so take advantage.

Last edited:
•••
If your domain fully or partially matches the name of the company you're thinking of approaching, I personally would not contact them. In that case I don't believe there is a balance to be struck, as it's quite clear that you're "holding their brand hostage" in a way. It's not a great look for the domaining industry, nor for individual sellers' reputations.

On the flipside, I know there are many domainers who have done this successfully, and continue to do so. Those folks might have a different take on it, and could maybe provide more insight into their success rate and the safety of the strategy.

It's a personal choice, but I feel that you should undertake it with the knowledge that this approach could eventually lead to some trouble. Most companies will ignore your email, a few will be interested, and then there may be the odd one that pursues legal action via a UDRP filing (and they would have solid grounds to do so).

Anytime I've made an outbound sale, all I had to do was mention the name. Either the buyer will see the value or they won't. I've never found one that was on the fence and looking for more convincing.
Thanks for the quick response. And agreed on the above. The outbounds Ive sent or considered involve similarities that present no cognizable legal theory anyway so not too worried but certainly staying away from arguably trademark-oriented names. Thanks again!

•••
Wow. This is very helpful and certainly reorients some of my thinking. Really appreciate your time and insight. One follow up thought (although the true list is longer lol). Most of the names above I picked up from expired net and for those that pair with an existing company. How would you approach those companies in terms of outbounds? I dont know that I have any plans to as yet but that is a challenge that seems to reoccur. How do you strike that balance between sharing value without coming across almost predatory lol.

•••
Wow. This is very helpful and certainly reorients some of my thinking. Really appreciate your time and insight. One follow up thought (although the true list is longer lol). Most of the names above I picked up from expired net and for those that pair with an existing company. How would you approach those companies in terms of outbounds? I dont know that I have any plans to as yet but that is a challenge that seems to reoccur. How do you strike that balance between sharing value without coming across almost predatory lol.
If your domain fully or partially matches the name of the company you're thinking of approaching, I personally would not contact them. In that case I don't believe there is a balance to be struck, as it's quite clear that you're "holding their brand hostage" in a way. It's not a great look for the domaining industry, nor for individual sellers' reputations.

On the flipside, I know there are many domainers who have done this successfully, and continue to do so. Those folks might have a different take on it, and could maybe provide more insight into their success rate and the safety of the strategy.

It's a personal choice, but I feel that you should undertake it with the knowledge that this approach could eventually lead to some trouble. Most companies will ignore your email, a few will be interested, and then there may be the odd one that pursues legal action via a UDRP filing (and they would have solid grounds to do so).

Anytime I've made an outbound sale, all I had to do was mention the name. Either the buyer will see the value or they won't. I've never found one that was on the fence and looking for more convincing.

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back