IT.COM

question Newbie questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robert27

Established Member
Impact
Hi - all - apologies if this is a bit basic but as a complete newbie I just need a steer on a couple of things:

Not sure if this is right but....
If a word is already registered under say a .com, can you register it under another tld without falling foul of the law? I understand that it is more to do with intent. If by registering it is found that the intention is to take business etc away from the .com user then its a "foul" but if say you are not taking business away from them , say the intent is say for a news or social use then you are ok.

VR/Virtual - if something is registered then can you add vr or virtual and not fall foul. eg sweeping.com is registered but vrsweeping is not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am going around in circles at the moment.
Kind Regards
Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As long as the word isn't a brand and then still needs to make sense but you still want it to be searched for. So i have vrnavigate i don't have navigate. i have traffic.tips i don't have traffictips. As long as avoid trademarks and can find a buyer. Just don't buy vricecream just because it is availalble. Keep reading till you can recognize a bargain and snap it up but don't buy for sake of spending.

Last edited:
•••
Thank-you Lock for the reply. That makes sense to me. If something is a brand, I assume eg traffictips.org is one, you can still be ok if you register it under a different tld?

•••
Hi Lock - due to covid we have to book slots to take things to the tip and I have one booked for 11.15am so I have to go for about an hour. I just wanted you to know if I dont come back to you straight away.
KR Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back