Dynadot

New Zealand Buys NewZealand.Com for $500,000

NameSilo
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
30 April 2003

The Government paid about $1 million for the Internet domain name NewZealand.com, it was revealed in Parliament yesterday.

Tourism Minister Mark Burton said it cost $US500,000 ($NZ910,580) and was a sound investment.

ACT MP Rodney Hide, who asked Mr Burton about it, said the deal was "crazy".

"That's the sort of dopiness that should have died out with the dot com crash," he said.

"There were other options... a suitable domain name could have been bought or obtained for so much less."

NewZealand.com was bought by New Zealand Way Ltd, which is owned by the Tourism Board, TradeNZ and Industry New Zealand.

Mr Burton said it would provide an invaluable portal for those interested in New Zealand tourism, commerce or industry.

"On the evidence and given the function it will perform, it was a sound investment."

Mr Burton said the South African Government had offered $US10 million for SouthAfrica.com and Korea.com was sold for $US5 million.

Mr Hide said he could not see how taxpayers were getting value for money.

"The domain name is no longer important. Names can be branded," he said.

Source:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2437674a11,00.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
lol when i saw it on the news i laughed ;)

im from new zealand so heard it on the news :)

•••
So how do you feel about your gov't buying the domain with your tax dollars? Money well spent?

•••
well i dont really mind cuz they never do anything good with the tax money anyways they spent like 7 million doing up a moterway/freeway and then 3/4 down the line they found they made it on a spot of land that is sinking
they do alot of things like that

•••
From the looks of it the domain gets decent traffic already and quite a few type-ins also.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details?url=newzealand.com

Put a little bit of marketing effort behind the name and I'm sure they'll make it worth the money. Really it is a most unforgettable domain!

•••
wow... i wished i were the former owner of the domain....

•••
•••
In the "long run" of things..
The purchase should pay for itself, if it brings more tourism & trade too the country. Long term thinking.

•••
yeah i suppose ;)
I remember going to the site before and nothing was really there
It should hopefully bring a nice return over a few years

•••
omg! i would never buy ANYTHING except a house for that cost! lol

•••
Originally posted by limited_dani

True, but if you were a governing faction of the mentioned country, you probably would ;)

:hehe:

•••
Originally posted by limited_dani

sex.com :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back