Dynadot

poll New TLD Survey

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What percentage of new TLD acquisition + renewal costs are your new TLD sales to date?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 100%+ but less than 200% (new TLD sales exceed registration+renewal costs) - breakeven

votes
    0.0%
  • 75-99% (new TLD sales cover most acquisition/renewal costs but waiting long-term)

votes
    0.0%
  • 51-74% (new TLD registrations have not yet yielded a payback but holding)

votes
    0.0%
  • 15-32% (new TLD registrations are a long-term hold)

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

New TLDs have been out since early 2014 and new extensions are continuing to be rolled out. There has been considerable interest amongst the domainer community in new TLDs. While there have been some notable purchases of new TLDs by end users, the timing of mass adoption and aftermarket purchases of new TLDs at premium prices is uncertain. It might be interesting to see forum sales experience relative to investment cost to date.

Question - If you take total sales of new TLD domains from your portfolio as a percentage of total acquisition costs and renewal costs, what ratio do you get? (Are you cash flow positive or not?)

Please note registrars & registries are not allowed to vote :)

examples:
1) $5000 in new TLD sales vs $2500 (new TLD acquisition + renewal costs ) = 2.0 or 200% (profitable)
2) $2500 in new TLD sales vs $2500 (new TLD acquisition + renewal costs) = 1.0 or 100% (breakeven)
3) $2500 in new TLD sales vs $5000 (new TLD acquisition & renewal costs) = 50% (negative cash flow)
4) $1000 in new TLD sales vs $10,000 in new TLD acquisition & renewal costs = 10% (considerable loss)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most of my new TLDs have been acquired in the last 6 months, only a few domains I registered are about 1 year old.
It's way too early for me to partake in a survey like this.... :|

•••
More than 1600 replies on the "What new TLD domains have you registered?" thread with some 6 million new TLD domains registered and yet few are willing to admit how much they have invested in the new TLD space.

It is true that sales price is not going to be optimized by selling weeks after acquisition. However, if a portfolio/business (restaurant, retail store, hotel, salon, gym, etc) is running negative cash flow, one should ask, :"How long am I willing to continue to fund a business which is unprofitable, in a niche which may take years to mature and possibly may turn into a loss of nearly everything invested in that niche? "

•••
I agree with Canadian. It is way too early for such a survey. IMO, .club and online are the only two decent ones to be released to date. It would be a good survey in 3 to 5 years from now.

•••
Most of my nTLD purchases are less then 1 year old.

Just as GeoOnlineDomains and Canadian stated, this is too early and you will need to wait several years before we know how the number will play out.

My personal feeling:
I think that great nTLDs will bring a better ROI when they sale then what you find elsewhere. That is just an opinion with nothing to back it up.

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back