IT.COM

sales New gTLD Chartquake: $500,000 .Loans Sale Followed By $300,000 .CLUB Aftershock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new weekly domain sales report is out at DNJournal.com and it is a jaw-dropper. As some of you know, bad news has been piling up for new gTLD fans in recent weeks but the sun finally came out Tuesday when Donuts announced they had made a $500,000 all cash sale of Home.loans - the biggest new gTLD sale ever reported. Less than 24 hours later came a major sales aftershock that we revealed tonight – a $300,000 sale of a .CLUB domain – the second highest new gTLD sale ever reported. Those two lead our latest weekly all extension Top 20 sales chart, followed by a 6-figure .com sale. You can get all of the details here: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2018/20180207.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I mean sale reports should be taken with a pinch of salt.

•••
so do you mean that all sales are fake? and domaining is BS?
:nailbiting:

Platinums asks....is domaining BS? Heck Platinums, "domaining" isn't even considered a word. Ever since I arrived here, much to the chagrin of some, I've been pointing out how screwed up this industry is. I've worked in and for the healthcare industry, the financial services industry, the real estate industry, the information services industry, the sports and entertainment industry and even a little in the tech industry, but none compare can compare to this industry. However, I think I'm attracted to it despite it's faults. Why? I see opportunity in others garbage. I see treasure in others trash. I've shared the two areas where I see the biggest problems. First, how domains are marketed, and second, the appraisal JOKE:xf.eek: this industry touts.

What this industry needs is a good old fashion revolution, and with the help of a few others, radical change will evolve....and that's no BS:xf.grin:....aka Bulloney!

•••
95% is a made up number, I know many sales never go reported due to direct landers, but I don't think this guy has enough knowledge to be making a statement to say basically all but 1 or 2 sales per week go reported. That is a big statement by a guy who probably doesn't even sell $50K worth of domains a year.

We saw at the namescon auction how bad gtld's are beatup, a few years ago .club's were fetching a premium today the auctioneer had to stretch the bidding to get something out of people.

I own a very diverse GTLD portfolio, and I have no issue being honest about it, inquiries are down, sales are down. It is attributed to the lack of marketing dollars in 2014/2015 we had many releases, lots of talk, lots of marketing, people were excited, curious, informed, fast forward 2017/2018 many of those dollars have gone into defensive holds given a strong indication of drops moving forward.

You just can't make up stats saying 95% of gtld sales go unreported, it is a baseless claim, and it provides no benefit, especially if the source in itself probably doesn't even cover their own renewals.
@wwwweb

yes, as I am saying 95% (or more) of new gTLDs sales are unreported. Let me try to explain on 1 example why I think so (I invest in several extensions, but lets pick up .vip, which is pretty obvious).

So, in namebio we see for .vip 4 reported sales :
Domain Price Date Venue
denizli.vip 1,000 USD 2017-10-26 Flippa
podcast.vip 100 USD 2017-04-11 Flippa
commerce.vip 101 USD 2017-01-13 4.CN
sultan.vip 250 USD 2016-10-04 Flippa

That is all. In some other discussions on this forum this is used by legacy portfolio holders to 'prove' their point that .vip does not sell, etc, which is total nonsense.

Take number of registered domains of .vip as of today: 745 000.

Take into account the fact, that I myself have purchased on aftermarket more then 30 of .vip names, some for low $$, some for low $$$. My purchases = sales of sellers. If only my personal purchases above $100 were added to reporting (which they were not), we suddenly have 20 records in namebio for .vip.

I am one of tens of thusands of people who regged .vip, many of us sell, trade, with values way higher then 100 which is namebio threshold. I assume there are at least 100 people among this set which have the similar situation as me. In this case we have around 2000 transactions there. 100 people is pretty conservative estimate, I think it is much higher, but do not want to overestimate it.

If you have 2000 transactions (100 people with 20 purchases each), and 4 reported one, then number of unreported transactions is 98%.

Now you can question this number of 100 people worldwide with similar patters as me, this would require more analysis by checking how names are changing ownership and again one can then question what is the average sale price here, as we can not know that. I have just an assumption it is more then $100 per name, which comes from my personal experience. So analysis has some spots where one need to come with 'best guess', but it is 100x more realistic as what you can derive from namebio. 2000 unreported is definitley more realistic then 4 reported.

It has nothing to do with me as a person, it is just some common sense.

I am sorry to hear that your new gTLD sales are struggling - but you can not derive from your personal experience that all new gTLD sales are struggling. If you have low sales it can just mean you pick up wrong domain names - I can tell you I saw some very bad portfolios out there. I can not comment on you specifically, as you do not have link to your new gTDs included, so it is impossible to say why you have problem, without knowing exactly what your names are.

•••
@wwwweb

yes, as I am saying 95% (or more) of new gTLDs sales are unreported. Let me try to explain on 1 example why I think so (I invest in several extensions, but lets pick up .vip, which is pretty obvious).

Domain Price Date Venue

That is all. In some other discussions on this forum this is used by legacy portfolio holders to 'prove' their point that .vip does not sell, etc, which is total nonsense.

Take into account the fact, that I myself have purchased on aftermarket more then 30 of .vip names, some for low $$, some for low $$$. My purchases = sales of sellers. If only my personal purchases above $100 were added to reporting (which they were not), we suddenly have 20 records in namebio for .vip.

I am one of tens of thusands of people who regged .vip, many of us sell, trade, with values way higher then 100 which is namebio threshold. I assume there are at least 100 people among this set which have the similar situation as me. In this case we have around 2000 transactions there. 100 people is pretty conservative estimate, I think it is much higher, but do not want to overestimate it.

If you have 2000 transactions (100 people with 20 purchases each), and 4 reported one, then number of unreported transactions is 98%.

Now you can question this number of 100 people worldwide with similar patters as me, this would require more analysis by checking how names are changing ownership and again one can then question what is the average sale price here, as we can not know that. I have just an assumption it is more then $100 per name, which comes from my personal experience. So analysis has some spots where one need to come with 'best guess', but it is 100x more realistic as what you can derive from namebio. 2000 unreported is definitley more realistic then 4 reported.

I am sorry to hear that your new gTLD sales are struggling - but you can not derive from your personal experience that all new gTLD sales are struggling. If you have low sales it can just mean you pick up wrong domain names - I can tell you I saw some very bad portfolios out there. I can not comment on you specifically, as you do not have link to your new gTDs included, so it is impossible to say why you have problem, without knowing exactly what your names are.

So are you talking about your $10-$50 vip sales that are going unreported, because you still did not back up your statement with facts. You are just a low level GTLD peddler, it is just not my investments, you can ask any domainer investor in the GTLD space, it has not matured as they had hoped. If you want to ride the coat tails of Platinum registry sales then you can be a fan boy, and do that.

We all know what happend with .top .vip, and the Chinese market, don't use them as a crutch to backup micro sales that do not get reported. The majority of namepro sales do not get reported because they are not deemed a significant dollar amount to be. I think many of your sales fall into the same light.

At the end of the day, you still can't produce any sales, your just talking out of your ass with stupid comments, and headline grabbing. I hate to say it, but what you are spewing is FAKE NEWS!

•••
•••
Well, I am not describing 'my $10-$50 vip sales' as you have put it in my previous example, I am talking purely about my purchases (which, of course, are sales of another domainers) in .vip and which would be entitled to be reported at namebio (as they cross $100 threshold), and gave you thus a mathematical example as why I state 95 % plus of sales are unreported.

I did it because you complained that this 95% plus estimate is 'baseless'.

Seeing from you reply, you did not process this information correctly, and you did not like it as well, I guess :)

•••

This is interesting because in a forum full of new gtld lovers, this is what they're saying about your portfolio. Some of the threads here, I wondered why are you getting names with "the" in front of them, dashes etc. Then I check the other forum, and they bring up the same points. I just read where you think new gltds are like bitcoin in the Summer of 2016.

Look at reported new gtld sales. What percentage are 1 word or registry sales or a combo of the two? An overwhelming majority.

•••
Well, I am not describing 'my $10-$50 vip sales' as you have put it in my previous example, I am talking purely about my purchases (which, of course, are sales of another domainers) in .vip and which would be entitled to be reported at namebio (as they cross $100 threshold), and gave you thus a mathematical example as why I state 95 % plus of sales are unreported.

I did it because you complained that this 95% plus estimate is 'baseless'.

Seeing from you reply, you did not process this information correctly, and you did not like it as well, I guess :)

Why are you trying so hard to bring more competition in ngTLD space?

Registries will be fine anyway, end users will adopt and buy more ngtlds anyway, the possibility to built reseller market in the near future is scarce anyway.

I would simply enjoy current state of affairs when it is still possible to built solid profitable portfolio of hand-regs and not accelerate its end which is already fast approaching.

•••
@JB Lions
Lol, I know, there is particularly a person, his nickname starts with A, and he seems to be not happy with performance of his new gTLD portfolio, therefore bashing my portfolio constantly :) In psychology it is called 'psychological projection'. I invite everyone, go to brands.international and bash my domains, one by one, if that helps..

As for names with prefixe 'the', I got lot of bashing for that too. Until recently - then I started to see that registries are pricing some of those combos now as 'premium', and few people who previously told me 'not of investment value' recently regged exactly those types of combinations...it is lot of fun, when you really study it. I think it has someting to do with the fact that really there is a lot of competition now.

Last edited:
•••
Why are you trying so hard to bring more competition in ngTLD space?

Registries will be fine anyway, end users will adopt and buy more ngtlds anyway, the possibility to built reseller market in the near future is scarce anyway.

I would simply enjoy current state of affairs when it is still possible to built solid profitable portfolio of hand-regs and not accelerate its end which is already fast approaching.
I agree with you - probably not bad idea at all :)

•••
@JB Lions
Lol, I know, there is particularly a person, his nickname starts with A, and he seems to be not happy with performance of his new gTLD portfolio, therefore bashing my portfolio constantly :) In psychology it is called 'psychological projection'. I invite everyone, go to brands.international and bash my domains, one by one, if that helps..

As for names with prefixe 'the', I got lot of bashing for that too. Until recently - then I started to see that registries are pricing some of those combos now as 'premium', and few people who previously told me 'not of investment value' recently regged exactly those types of combinations...it is lot of fun, when you really study it. I think it has someting to do with the fact that really there is a lot of competition now.

I'm not interested in bashing your portfolio, I'm interested in the market/sales.

It's like you keep saying, these are great, these are great, I'm getting sales, these are great.

What are you sales.

I can't tell for [insert some reason that doesn't hold up]

One of them you gave is so people can't discover what's selling. Then you even agreed with me when I said people can already figure that out. So that reason didn't hold up.

So without anything real to back it up you can call it puffery, I like to call it fluff. Could it be true? It could be, but with business, I like to see real.

•••
So are you talking about your $10-$50 vip sales that are going unreported, because you still did not back up your statement with facts. You are just a low level GTLD peddler, it is just not my investments, you can ask any domainer investor in the GTLD space, it has not matured as they had hoped. If you want to ride the coat tails of Platinum registry sales then you can be a fan boy, and do that.

We all know what happend with .top .vip, and the Chinese market, don't use them as a crutch to backup micro sales that do not get reported. The majority of namepro sales do not get reported because they are not deemed a significant dollar amount to be. I think many of your sales fall into the same light.

At the end of the day, you still can't produce any sales, your just talking out of your ass with stupid comments, and headline grabbing. I hate to say it, but what you are spewing is FAKE NEWS!

It's pretty sad:xf.frown: your need to bash gTLD opportunists. You must not be aware of radical changes in the marketing of gTLD domains. It's really not complicated, but you do have to have an open mind:xf.grin:

•••
It's pretty sad:xf.frown: your need to bash gTLD opportunists. You must not be aware of radical changes in the marketing of gTLD domains. It's really not complicated, but you do have to have an open mind:xf.grin:
I have 10X what you have invested in GTLD's, I am speaking the truth about the current situation.

I wish they were worth millions, but I can't lie.

•••
I did a little calculation I think some of you might find interesting (and posted it on my Twitter feed which is @AGreatDomain).

If the $19,000 paid for the(.)club domain name when previously sold at auction Nov 1, 2015 had been invested in #bitcoin on that date, it would have been worth $752.000 on Jan 21, 2018 when the domain was resold for $300,000!

It is good you are not calculating money spent on coffee in 2011 when BTC was around $1. And if you also factor in all the food for the year, any of us consumed millions of $ in that year :-D

•••
•••
e.g.
dropcatch.com/Domain/Aojie.com
wtf is aojie? Current Bid: $860 USD

•••
got it ..
fkn Chinese ....aojie.com.cn/
ajmould.com/

•••
@wwwweb

Domain Price Date Venue

same can be said about .com

There are over 100 million .coms registered. Probably tens of millions changed hands for money and only small portion is sold. Of course, it is higher portion, because normally the higher the monetary value the higher the chance that it would be reported.

•••
same can be said about .com

There are over 100 million .coms registered. Probably tens of millions changed hands for money and only small portion is sold. Of course, it is higher portion, because normally the higher the monetary value the higher the chance that it would be reported.
Your 100% right, many .com sell, and many are not reported. With GTLD's I know the people who do own the good ones, want to report them, because they need to create comps so they can continue to sell thru their others.

With .com it is a supply, and demand market, with good demand for good domains. With GTLD's there are many great names, sitting with original registrants just adding to the renewal pain, not the same % of sell thru, it is a slow grind. No marketing being spent in 2018 on them, those companies are just now in sleep mode, collecting recurring renewal revenue. It costs to much to market, as the dollars don't come back.

•••
I have 10X what you have invested in GTLD's, I am speaking the truth about the current situation.

I wish they were worth millions, but I can't lie.

Too funny...so you have 10X what I have invested in gTLD's and you're "speaking the truth"? then you go on to say, "I can't lie". You sound like a used car salesman saying "Trust Me". Instead of wasting time here on NamePro's you should be out hustling your gTLD's instead of belly aching. How many end users actually buy names from auctions and domainers? Maybe 5-10%. Are you even familiar with the word hustle?

•••
Too funny...so you have 10X what I have invested in gTLD's and you're "speaking the truth"? then you go on to say, "I can't lie". You sound like a used car salesman saying "Trust Me". Instead of wasting time here on NamePro's you should be out hustling your gTLD's instead of belly aching. How many end users actually buy names from auctions and domainers? Maybe 5-10%. Are you even familiar with the word hustle?
I have 10X what you have invested in GTLD, Mr Nov 15, 2017 registration. Been at this game a few years, check my feedback, and buying concentration.

I want GTLD's to do well, because I will profit, but I am not going to come here, and tell people bullshit, and pretend everything is fine, it's not. Sure the odd ones sell, but given there are like 1000 extensions, and millions upon millions of names the sales suck. So, I am not going to lie and say gtld's are like bitcoin pre 2016, or 95% of gtld sales go unreported, all that is BS.

You don't have to look far to see my trader rating, and buying history speaks for itself. I bought GTLD's as a hedge against my .com portfolio, fast forward a few years, looks like I didn't need to because end users don't care. If I sell a .com for $10K, and I go to the end user hey want the matching GTLD for $1000, they say NO, we don't need it because we already own the .com.

Only thing is, I am not selling anything here, that is most of you guys peddling your crappy GTLD's, bump after bump. So who is the real used car salesman here?

Last edited:
•••
. How many end users actually buy names from auctions and domainers? Maybe 5-10%. Are you even familiar with the word hustle?

ALOT!

You have never had Mark Monitor, CSC, or Safenames knock on your door, and make a simple inquiry, and 2 weeks later the domain points to a FORTUNE 500, get some skin in the game, before you start talking the talk, how about achieving a trader rating of 1, before you can start giving advice?

Last edited:
•••
I have 10X what you have invested in GTLD, Mr Nov 15, 2017 registration. Been at this game a few years, check my feedback, and buying concentration.

I want GTLD's to do well, because I will profit, but I am not going to come here, and tell people bullsh*t, and pretend everything is fine, it's not. Sure the odd ones sell, but given there are like 1000 extensions, and millions upon millions of names the sales suck. So, I am not going to lie and say gtld's are like bitcoin pre 2016, or 95% of gtld sales go unreported, all that is BS.

You don't have to look far to see my trader rating, and buying history speaks for itself. I bought GTLD's as a hedge against my .com portfolio, fast forward a few years, looks like I didn't need to because end users don't care. If I sell a .com for $10K, and I go to the end user hey want the matching GTLD for $1000, they say NO, we don't need it because we already own the .com.

Only thing is, I am not selling anything here, that is most of you guys peddling your crappy GTLD's, bump after bump. So who is the real used car salesman here?

So where are all your 5,000 gTLD's for sale?...I'm assuming you have at least 5,000 because I own 500 .today's, .live, .click and a few .tv's. Are you just sitting on them and hoping and praying someone is looking for them? I noticed there's little information about you and your domains. Do you even have a site to prove you own even a single domain? Fella...you really need an attitude adjustment:xf.grin:

•••
So where are all your 5,000 gTLD's for sale?...I'm assuming you have at least 5,000 because I own 500 .today's, .live, .click and a few .tv's. Are you just sitting on them and hoping and praying someone is looking for them? I noticed there's little information about you and your domains. Do you even have a site to prove you own even a single domain? Fella...you really need an attitude adjustment:xf.grin:

You are on a forum with many professionals who have been selling domains for years. You talk about how much of an expert in sales and marketing you are. Well, the problem is you are hitching your wagon to garbage.

I know you are 70, but it is never too late to learn. There are a lot of people here who know far more about domains than you. They have been doing it for years, making steady sales.

It might help to do less talking and more listening.

Theoretical sales mean nothing. Actual sales matter.
Money talks. Bullshit walks.

Brad

•••
You are on a forum with many professionals who have been selling domains for years. You talk about how much of an expert in sales and marketing you are. Well, the problem is you are hitching your wagon to garbage.

I know you are 70, but it is never too late to learn. There are a lot of people here who know far more about domains than you. They have been doing it for years, making steady sales.

It might help to do less talking and more listening.

Theoretical sales mean nothing. Actual sales matter.
Money talks. Bullsh*t walks.

Brad
So you're back for some more are you? I've been told by a number of pretty well respected professionals in your industry that my approach and style is pretty refreshing. I guarantee you that your closed mind hasn't a clue how I plan to make money in your f'd up industry. It's your attitude that builds even more confidence in my ability to succeed in this business. You really don't get it do you? I don't really want or need the kind of help or experience you claim to have because whatever it is, it's obviously not working:xf.frown:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back