Dynadot

New domain extensions, is the SEO tighter on these?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To cut a long story short, I've purchased a .life domain name, I am wanting to develop into a Wordpress blog, the only issue, does Google penalise these domains for not having the generic .com .net, domain extensions?

How are these different extensions in regards to the SEO?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To cut a long story short, I've purchased a .life domain name, I am wanting to develop into a Wordpress blog, the only issue, does Google penalise these domains for not having the generic .com .net, domain extensions?

I don't think that you would be penalized for not using "generic .com .net, domain extensions"

.life is also gTLD, so in the eyes of google it should be treated the same as .com, .net etc.

Mian factor would be the content & niche for which you are using .life domain.

•••
I don't think that you would be penalized for not using "generic .com .net, domain extensions"

.life is also gTLD, so in the eyes of google it should be treated the same as .com, .net etc.

Mian factor would be the content & niche for which you are using .life domain.

The only issue I have, is I never see any of these domain names in the top list when Googling - it's all the .com and .net's. Is this because they're still new and that type of SEO takes forever in building?

•••
The only issue I have, is I never see any of these domain names in the top list when Googling - it's all the .com and .net's. Is this because they're still new and that type of SEO takes forever in building?

I don't think SEO effort would depend on Domain extension since its a gtld just like .com. The reason that you don't see these domain names in the top list when Googling, is because they are definitely not so well known/popular as others & hence most webmasters may not be using them for big projects.

There's no record of a single .life domain sold this year, so that reflects its popularity status.

•••
I don't think SEO effort would depend on Domain extension since its a gtld just like .com. The reason that you don't see these domain names in the top list when Googling, is because they are definitely not so well known/popular as others & hence most webmasters may not be using them for big projects.

There's , so that reflects its popularity status.

Are they domain resells though? not actual new domain registrations?

•••
CTRs are significantly lower for new extensions, which basically means they're impossible to rank first page for any competitive keywords.

•••
CTRs are significantly lower for new extensions, which basically means they're impossible to rank first page for any competitive keywords.
Why is the click through rate lower on the new extentions?

•••
People trust them less / are less familiar with them. I myself have probably never click one in the SERPs.

•••
•••
•••
•••
It will never cause any issue, below is the excerpt from Google:

Q: How will new gTLDs affect search? Is Google changing the search algorithm to favor these TLDs? How important are they really in search?
A: Overall, our systems treat new gTLDs like other gTLDs (like .com & .org). Keywords in a TLD do not give any advantage or disadvantage in search.
source: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2015/07/googles-handling-of-new-top-level.html

•••
sometimes you have a great two word combo.. or a common word that looks / sounds good.

•••
Most people never even pay attention to the domain name when they are using google. They click based on Page title and meta description.

•••
I've a .club ranked in 1st page in google in an ULTRA competitive niche.
Really competitive niche, a lot of .com, .net, .everything behind our project.
Nothing special, no magic, only perfect onpage, very good seo campaing and CONTENT.
The only issue i've experienced is that newGTLDs do not increment their Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA), they are always 1 / 1.
Does not matter how many (quality) backlinks a newG has, it'll never increase.
That's all.

•••
No, there is no SEO penalty. It has same SEO strength as a any generic top level domain (including .com .org etc.). Another thing to note, search engines can not "read" the "keyword" in the domain extension, but yes, .life is human readable and that is the main advantage as you can make a catchy, memorable domain name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back