IT.COM

New auction rules at Dynadot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just received an email regarding an update in auction rules at @Dynadot

On January 3, 2023, we're changing the way Expired Auction prices are displayed in the Aftermarket. Right now, the "Current Bid" section of an auction includes the bid price + the domain renewal fee. Next month, we'll be separating the renewal fee from the actual bid price when viewing an auction. For example, if a domain name has a $10 bid, you'll see $10 in the "Current Bid" section instead of $20.99 ($10 bid price + $10.99 renewal fee). It's important to note that the renewal fee itself is not being removed, it's still added to the final auction price. Renewal fees will vary based on the TLD in auction.
I really liked seeing the total price I would have to pay at the end of the auction. I am really disliking this change.
Good news is that they are adding a "closeout" option like Godaddy does have.
Another update we're excited to make is the launch of a new type of auction, called Expired Closeouts. Closeouts are domain names that didn't receive any bids in the Expired Auction. These domains will be set at a fixed Buy-It-Now price for 3 days. The price will drop every day if a successful purchase is not made during the Expired Closeouts period. For instance, the Buy-It-Now price for Day 1 will be $30, Day 2 will fall to $15, and Day 3 will drop to $5. If the domain isn't purchased in Closeouts, it'll continue to follow its normal expiration life cycle. Please note that renewals are not included in the Buy-It-Now price. The renewal fee will be added to the final cost of the order and will vary depending on the TLD.
Anyway, I am afraid one of the reasons they have made these changes is to increase the starting bid for the auctions.
It could be possible that bulk and superbulk users will pay a little less than the other users since they have lower renewal rates.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
yes me too i really dislike the renewal price out of the price but very happy for the closout section.
at least i hope they will keep to mention the renewal price close each name.

•••
I really liked seeing the total price I would have to pay at the end of the auction.
This really surprises me that you'd dislike this change. Just add the two numbers together, they will be there on the page. The renewal price has to be clear at the point of sale and showing the price with no bids and a premium price makes it look like people are interested when they aren't, I think that's bad especially for noobs.

These aren't "rules", they are just platform changes

Last edited:
•••
Makes it easier as a buyer to include the renewal fee.

@Dynadot

Last edited:
•••
Just as expected, the starting bid has been increased upto $7.99 (bid without renewal) + $10.99 (renewal) from $14.99 for .com domain names. The bulk/super bulk users would pay a little less, but still definitely more than the before.
Sneaky way of increasing the starting bid of an expired domain auction!

•••
If they have increased the starting bid then that's a bit sweaty if they haven't said that they would.

•••
Makes it easier as a buyer to include the renewal fee.
For complete transparency up front to the potential buyer, wouldn't it make sense to include the renewal fee? After all, some renewal fees are fairly high. If one is sorting a list by price, isn't it possible that they would want to simply screen those out quickly.

Perhaps Dynadot would reconsider if more customers advocated for the change back?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back