Dynadot

Network Solutions + Unethical go hand and hand.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's the latest. Try and do a search for some random available name on their site. Make up anything, dkfhgkjhd.com etc etc.

Now go to Moniker or another registrar and attempt to register it.

Name will say unavailable. Wonder why? Because netsol has decided they want to hold that name hostage and force you to reg it at their site for $34.99.

Talk about sneaky, shady, and underhanded.

My advice would be to steer clear of Network Solutions when searching for available names.

Wonder how many other registrars are going to follow the lead.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those crafty suckers!

Well just start typing at NetSol and checking random domains..... I'm sure they have to pay for the domain each time they "hold" one for you..

•••
Wow. I just tried that using Fab and Netsol, and you are right!

Perhaps we should do an exhaustive search of all 63 character .com's.

People keep talking about the LLLL sellout. This would be the 63L sellout.

Very sleazy netsol, very sleazy.

Marc

•••
Maybe it is still in your shopping cart? Perhaps they are holding it for you while it is in there for a specific duration?

•••
Edit: Nevermind. My mistake.

•••
•••
Just doing this :) The LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.com countdown begins ! Lol

npcomplete said:

Marc

•••
•••
npcomplete said:

Marc
Part of me wants to perform an exhaustive search of 63L domains in all their extensions... :notme:

I really don't like seeing this, though. I wonder how long they hold the domain...

•••
NetSol owns some super end user greedy domains now like adsafdiarhehugtbdjhfjghfoigdusohtrbdkgfhdugf.com
nfghhdhgjhghggjfhgjhgjhdjhfjdghjfhghhghghg.com
alpondfdsnhdfshfudhfudshfdbvbdsb.com

How unethical. This is domain theft. Seriously, this is a very very big issue.

People only vehiculated whether whois searches are sold, and to whom, but this is a prime example when one of the biggest registrars in the world does this.

•••
npcomplete said:
Totally agree on the fun part. Apparently "asdf9akafmasd9fgar.com" is taken by netsol too. If it is a shopping cart thing, I wonder when it times out. The whois says it is reserved until Jan 8, 2009

Marc
thinking they just use the 'domain tasting loophole' prvided by Icann and delete it after 3-4 days if it doesn't get regged.

•••
And when you type in asdf9akafmasd9fgar.com they say:

This Domain is Available - Get it Now!

600,000 domain names are registered daily! Don't delay; there's no guarantee that a domain name you see today will still be here tomorrow!

•••
That is really, really scummy.

Network Solutions is famous for being scummy and underhanded.

It has been that way since the very early days of domaining.

Back in 96' they were putting a $30 surcharge per domain on each order, in which a judge found to be an "illegal tax" and therefore ruled the $30 charge had to be terminated. Go figure..... we never got our "illegal tax" money back from them which probably amounted to a six figure number for our company, all told. Domains after the ruling dropped from $100 a domain to $70 a domain and NetSol was the only game in town - so you had to buy from them still. Then BulkRegister came along to put them in check with $10 domains.

This company will not stop at anything. Absolutely ruthless and scummy. Only ICANN can stop this kinda' crap.

•••
This is all over the web already (At least in our circles) - It will be a huge story IMO ..

Not the first time they have been called out in this way. Remember when all non-registered .com's were resolving to them ?

•••
are they holding every searched name for one year?? this is quite funny, then why don't they hold every [5-255] character available names and let all the world beg them to reg a name...

•••
•••
"Stickied" this thread for now ;) Maybe Industry News is more appropriate ?

Either way .... Not cool.

•••
Not cool at all.
They are going to get so much aggro after this..
But surely this is costing them a lot of needless money? O_o

Maybe it's just me.
Joe

Edit:
Just did a reg in live chat: NameProsIsSimplyTheBestEver.com
Immediately registered. Sorry if anyone wanted this name. :(

Last edited:
•••
Thats pretty unbelievable.... NSI - just pulling some unethical moves.

•••
Hey, you know what this means to some domainers???

Every time you see a domain in whois that says it can be registered at NetSol a domainer could go reg it and hold it until the original searcher comes back wanting it. Or, just keep it.

I think we ought to call this method of domaining, "Second-Tier Domain Squatting", or maybe, "Pre-Searched Domain Acquisitions".

Unless of course it is a generic domain, then all is cool, sort of.... :)

•••
If there is a script then can auto generate search at NetSol then I believe soon they can become the largest domain registrar in terms of domains registered, should there be any coder free enough to do such a script and make fun of them. LOL...

•••
I just wonder if they're tasting any of these names for traffic and then keeping them if they don't get registered through their site within a certain timeframe. I guess it's technically not illegal but it sure is unethical business practice.

CommunityZ said:
If there is a script then can auto generate search at NetSol then I believe soon they can become the largest domain registrar in terms of domains registered, should there be any coder free enough to do such a script and make fun of them. LOL...

Yeah, if it costs them the $0.25 ICANN fee to taste the name a creative coder could run up a nice bill for NSOL.

•••
Phronesis said:
I just wonder if they're tasting any of these names for traffic and then keeping them if they don't get registered through their site within a certain timeframe. I guess it's technically not illegal but it sure is unethical business practice.

Yeah, if it costs them the $0.25 ICANN fee to taste the name a creative coder could run up a nice bill for NSOL.
That's probably part of the benefits, in addition to frontrunning.

As an industry, our best defense is to not support them and tell others not to support them because of their ethical practices. We're playing their unethical game by purposely exploiting their system. :imho:

•••
Phronesis said:

It costs them nothing to taste.

•••
•••
Back