Dominion.Domains

Network Solutions Might Leak Credit Card Details Between Accounts

Discussion in 'Warnings and Alerts' started by Arca, Feb 17, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Haroon Basha

Haroon Basha IZUQ.COM Gold Account VIP

I am just writing this in lighter vein. Please do not take it serious.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Acroplex

Acroplex Top Member DomainGang.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't. While I understand that you ran into what appears to be a bug, announcing it to the public while not providing that same info to the company isn't exactly good practice. We all have favorites and non-favorites in any market, including domaining, but security issues should be reported in private. NetSol isn't exactly watching this very thread and someone might take advantage of this issue, if it exists.

3. Haris

Haris Best Domainer Of The End-Times VIP

So I think it's time to log in to my NetSol account and go buy some domains with someone else's credit card :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

4. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Just don't buy DomainNames.com.

5. Haris

Haris Best Domainer Of The End-Times VIP

Unfortunately there is no credit card in my account :( lucky you :xf.grin:

6. MapleDots

MapleDots * * * * * VIP

Did you have to fill out a form on why you want to move out and endure countless email spams.

Worst experience I ever had was with netsol, seemed like I had to beg for my domain. I won't deal with namejet anymore because my domain ends up in netsol.

7. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Clicking through a few pages of that transfer out "form" is standard procedure for everyone for every single authorization code you want to retrieve. You have to do it individually 100 times if you want to transfer out 100 names.

8. 1Darko

1Darko Active Member VIP

9. tonecas

tonecas Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I would do the same. No consideration to a shady and incompetent company that has been ripping of costumers for years that do not know better

10. hookbox

hookbox Active Member VIP

I agree with others here that you should report it and keep a paper trail. Last thing you need is for them to come to you saying you're committing credit card fraud.

11. tonecas

And then you receive a transfer email from them where you can follow a link to a web page where you can authorize right away the transfer but it doesn't do anything and you have to wait for the 5 days default period. Ridiculous and on purpose to refrain a costumer to exit them. And 3 days to provide a transfer code because of security reasons, give me a break...

12. MapleDots

MapleDots * * * * * VIP

Really? and its normal for them to say wait 3 days, we will approve you to get the code if we see fit? Did you see the questions you have to answer?

Not trying to be uptight but with my other two registrars it's a single click and I have the code. 1 single click.

I am in the process of moving out 240 domains and that single click is a lot of work.

IMAGINE if I tried to move 240 domains from netsol! wow I would be old and grey before that was done.

Yikes!!

13. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

I have NJ and SN receipts for every name in my NetSol account, so I have proof that everything in my account was paid for by me. It would ultimately be futile for them to attempt to discredit any purchase in my account as "credit card fraud" as I have proof of paying for every single name there. I still don't want to go through a dispute proving this with them though.

I never used the credit card they put in my account for anything and I deleted it once I discovered it.

So I doubt that is going to happen. Though I wouldn't put it past NetSol to try to do so after they themselves put the cc details in my account (I never gave them approval to do so though, they forced the card into my account without my consent, isn't it they who are carrying out the cc fraud?). Why should I put myself at risk of suffering due to their mistakes? For me to bring this up with them may bring problems to me personally, including them locking down my account while they look into this.

So I am looking out for my own interest as a wary NetSol customer, but I also tried to help the domain community by alerting people to this issue that may or may not affect other accounts. Everyone is free to take action to protect their CC details.

However, a large portion of the responses here seem to hold me, rather than NetSol, responsible for getting this fixed by them, and consider my actions to be bad practice, and that NetSol apparently is a victim of my irresponsibility in this matter. I fail to understand where people get this notion from, but the sentiment has been noted, and I will keep this view by the domain community in mind and act accordingly next time I encounter such an issue.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  14. tonecas

Everyone has right to a opinion but you have the right to ignore them. People always love to kill the messenger ...

15. RobM

RobM Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't use netsol (who would?!) but does the account also have the cvc code? Do they ask for that when paying? Nowadays any online payment made with my credit card can only be authorised by entering a code texted to me by the bank. A PITA but it would stop this kind of shenanigans. Is this not common outside of Europe?

16. hookbox

hookbox Active Member VIP

It f*cking amazes me when someone gives a thought to try and help someone out that it twsts and turns into this bullsh*t. Everyone here was just looking out for your best interest. At least I was.

17. OmarVG

OmarVG Active Member VIP

Thankfully I did not have a NetSol account.

I am going to stick to GoDaddy for long term.

18. main

main Active Member VIP

Thanks for the heads up. I don't blame you for not wanting to get involved with NetworkSolutions. Most people here know that you've been a vigilant watch dog to help the domain investing community in a variety of areas.

19. NoBS

NoBS Established Member

I had someone elses cc info in my NS account after I won a backorder maybe 15 years ago. I wasn't a domainer I just needed a name for my website. I vaguely recall a receipt sent to me for a service costing $100 or more that was charged to that cc, and I let them know.

I won my first backorder with NS a couple of years ago as a domainer. Again in my new account I saw someone elses cc info. It was there for a while maybe a year before I saw it. I didn't want to change or delete any of the info before letting them know and the cc info was deleted following my second support request, two or three months after my initial ticket.

Just guessing maybe the cc details are carried over from the previous registrant if that domain is being transfered into a new account, or if that was the registrants only domain the details are replaced with the new owners?

20. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Could very well be the case with my account too. Since all the names in my account are backordered domains, it's probable that the CC info was carried over when a certain name was delivered to my account.

I'm surprised to read that it's been going on for 15+ years already though, considering that it still seems to be happening. I guess it's unlikely that they will fix it at all if they've not done so for more than a decade already.

21. IMEZI

IMEZI Active Member VIP

if someone cc details stranded on your account how bout the same thing happen with your cc details stranded on other account LOL

22. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy McEvoy.biz VIP

With so many bad stories going around, the real question is; how do i delete my NetSol Account!??

23. NoBS

NoBS Established Member

To be more accurate it was probably between 10 - 16 years ago. It's not only a problem for the card owner, I also didn't need the authorities knocking on my door asking why I was using this persons cc, and I didn't want a previous registrant disputing ownership of a domain or account because their cc was used to renew stuff.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  24. skipper708

skipper708 New Member

this is the beginning stage of you losing your domain that you just won at a namejet auction. look for the domain that has an extra year or more added on to it. the previous owner just renewed it in their account. so now the domain is in both your account and the previous owners. as soon as the 60 day lock is up you need to move it out! this has happened to me 3 times. lost the domain the first time, got the other 2 out.

25. carob

carob Active Member VIP

Interesting dilemma about whether to notify NS, especially when we keep reading reports of them taking names out of people's accounts without warning.

Wondered if their ToS touch on this and found in Section 3: Fees Payments and Services
    https://www.networksolutions.com/purchase-it/dynamic-service-agreement-popup.jsp

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!