IT.COM

Need your opinion - Inbound inquiry from fortune 500 company

NameSilo
Watch

Joshh71390

Top Member
Impact
Hello, so I got an email from Neilson Group today - Inquiring about one of my keyword domains. I mean they basicly control anything you watch on tv, and this seems like a domain which will be a category killer.

Only issue was I was in class and asked for an offer. The man responded a few times and then but a very low xxx range. Do I take the money and run, or do I send somthing crazy back? They made i think 6billion profit last year, am I going to lose the sale if I try to counter?

Or maybe I should speak to a broker?

What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just looked it up too and i found an article about somthing called Enterprise Data Management (EDM). streaming.

•••
•••
•••
i know =/

I wonder if theres a way to make that happen?

•••
Should have done your research, before ... and that would have help you plot well from beginning..
Congrats on your sale..
BTW, I wanted to know what made you register StreamEDM.com :) very curious to know...
Because I left many domain which made no sense (initially)

•••
I did it because I listen to edm and thought it would be a cool concept.

•••
when i started, i put a bunch of domains togeather that I had crazy ideas for but no startup / any real knowledge for websites.

•••
sometimes luck clicks...You can't stop it..

•••
Nah take the money now, you committed. You probably won't find another buyer IMO. I wouldn't pay regfee for it myself.

Congrats on the sale.

•••
Yea no its not the type i could sell to another invester. but If you had the means to market a streaming event by all means it could make a fortune.

The edm scene think of ultra music festival.
They have a tour ongoing through out the year on all major continents.

Ultra miami alone i think a 3 day festival is like 5 / 600 dollars a day.
and thats average price.

But yea the sale is good in my opinion. I look at percent gain / loss over price any day. And reg - 250 is not a bad gain at all.

•••
first offer is never the last offer specially when its from a fortune 500, give a firm counter, they are great business men ofc they wanna buy things for cheap.

•••
Yea no its not the type i could sell to another invester. but If you had the means to market a streaming event by all means it could make a fortune.

The edm scene think of ultra music festival.
They have a tour ongoing through out the year on all major continents.

Ultra miami alone i think a 3 day festival is like 5 / 600 dollars a day.
and thats average price.

But yea the sale is good in my opinion. I look at percent gain / loss over price any day. And reg - 250 is not a bad gain at all.
Congrats on your sale(cuz like someone said, a sale is a sale),but pls, you seem to have a few things to learn and i hope you've learnt the lessons.

•••
A member here just registered StreamingEDM.com

•••
A member here just registered StreamingEDM.com
Wise move...

I remember when HealthcarePayments.com sold for $35,000, I registered it in a few other extensions and sold each for hundreds of dollars only days after registration.

•••
Really should have asked for a lot more, especially knowing who the buyer is and now the use of the domain, a short .com
The average domainer doesn't get in this position often.
You can always lower an asking price but can't go up easily.
Worst case you're out $250.
If they give any hint of backing out let them, or give them a time limit to pay up and hope they're slow.
You have to be willing to play a little hardball and waiting to get the best price.
Good luck

•••
This has been a bad play by op.

•••
If the domain was mine, I'd sell it for $75 000 :D

•••
Lots of companies try to buy domains by having employees use personal emails.

•••
•••
Lots of companies try to buy domains by having employees use personal emails.
I get these types of inquiries a lot--anonymous buyer wanting the domain for a "personal use" (as-if that would drop the price). I usually point them towards one of the hundreds of gTLDs available for them, perfect for personal uses.

•••
Congrats on the sale.

Personally I think you have played your cards pretty quick, without doing your homework/research.

But then again, as long as you are happy with the profit margin, you are the king of the world my friend. Enjoy your sale.

•••
The company having a massive amount of financial resources doesn't thereby mean you could have obtained more by negotiating higher. Of course it's possible, but businesses with good profit and plenty of cash floating around have so because they're shrewd.

Their position could have been one of multiple things, but mainly:
  1. They would have gone to 4 figures+
  2. They would only have ever paid low 3 figures
If you'd pushed and it was 1, then you'd have made more money, but you could also have :
Pushed and it was 2, and you could have lost the sale entirely and been sat with $0 and a domain name that realistically you'd likely never sell to someone else, certainly not for more than mid-low 3 figures.

I suggest wholeheartedly you stop wondering and worrying about it all now, and be happy for the positive side:
You made a good sale with a high percentage profit margin :)

•••
If a domainer is always quick to sell for close to the offer they will leave a lot of money on the table over time. You need a lot of $250 sales to keep the boat afloat. At least sometimes you should have a sense when your domain has value, and try to get that value, even if it takes more time. As long as you are the owner you're in the drivers seat.

•••
If a domainer is always quick to sell for close to the offer they will leave a lot of money on the table over time.
This is true, and one should try to negotiate when it seems like it might be worthwhile, but also consider that if a domainer always tries to get "more" to the point of too much and/or above what the buyer is wiling to pay, they can easily have the buyer take all the money from the table.

It's a fine balance, and a $240 profit (I presume reg fee) on a basic domain name is pretty good IMO :)

You need a lot of $250 sales to keep the boat afloat
Depends entirely on the persons circumstances, economy etc, quantity of sales, average profit over all sales.

I think the seller here got a good price and quite possibly wouldn't have gotten more. They'll never know so pointless chasing what-could-have-been ghosts

•••
From a negotiation standpoint, countering a $200 offer with $250 to what you think may be a big company, on a short .com domain with commercial potential, isn't a good tactic. Better to have taken more time, got some opinions, and at least counter with a much higher amount. A buyers first offer is almost never their best offer. Worst case is you lose out on $200 and keep the domain, which is easy to absorb. At a minimum the counter here should have been $1000 or $1500. I probably would have countered with a low 5 figure amount, or no less than $5000. The point here I guess is to learn for next time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back