IT.COM

Need your opinion - Inbound inquiry from fortune 500 company

NameSilo
Watch

Joshh71390

Top Member
Impact
Hello, so I got an email from Neilson Group today - Inquiring about one of my keyword domains. I mean they basicly control anything you watch on tv, and this seems like a domain which will be a category killer.

Only issue was I was in class and asked for an offer. The man responded a few times and then but a very low xxx range. Do I take the money and run, or do I send somthing crazy back? They made i think 6billion profit last year, am I going to lose the sale if I try to counter?

Or maybe I should speak to a broker?

What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I received an email from a VP of Tesla Motors in the past. He contacted me via his business email but he's just trying to buy the domain name for his own use, not for Tesla Motors Inc. We finally completed that deal. :)

tesla.jpg

•••
•••
•••
OP- if you sell low, its because you allowed YOURSELF get psyched out.
What they need the domain for? does that matter? They want the name and thats what mostly matters. Next is how much their real budget is and how badly they want the name. Sometimes we hang around these forums so long we think 100-300 USD is sooo much money. its not!.........especially once business interests and emotions are involved.

•••
You should know how much your domain is worth and don't be unrealistic with the price.

I use various methods to determine the price of my domains.Say I value a domain at 5000$ , selling it for under 4000$ would be against my rules.

•••
You're not risking much to reject a xxx offer, so respond with $5000. That is pocket change for them. They went out of their way to email you so they won't runaway if you counter. Let them know your far apart..Increase their offer or just give them this asking price 5k.

let us know how the deal goes.

•••
You're not risking much to reject a xxx offer, so respond with $5000. That is pocket change for them. They went out of their way to email you so they won't runaway if you counter. Let them know your far apart..Increase their offer or just give them this asking price 5k.

let us know how the deal goes.
He sold it for 250 :xf.rolleyes:

•••
you got a sale that's what matters in the end.

•••
You shouldn't have sold it, now you wont be able to sleep.

•••
The deal has yet to be finalized to the full yet. I told him he can either gift me a payment and wait till I withdraw or cover fees of an acceptable escrow of his choosing. Well see what happens next. He has yet to respond to these.

•••
But all and all. I am ok with the profit margin here.

•••
But all and all. I am ok with the profit margin here.
That's fine. The most important thing is whether you are satisfied with the deal or not. In addition, if you think your domain is worth $250 and not four or five figures, that is also fine. Not knowing the domain, I could not tell.

However, if the person who contacted you is indeed from Nielsen, ask yourself: When will I again have such opportunity to sell one of my domains for a good four or five figure price? The purpose of that question is not to torture yourself with what did not happen this time, but to put you on guard for the next occasion.

That was on a serious note. On a more relaxed note now, what if the guy comes back and says the following?

''I think your domain is worth much more. Have you heard about domain name appraisals? I have connections with investors who would be willing to pay 10K or 20K for your name, but they would not do so without an official appraisal. It is only $29.99 and you get your money back once the deal is completed''.

•••
•••
At first sight, the domain looks as a not worth even the registration fee. However, doing some search I find that EDM is used for Electric Dance Music on Google. So your name is Stream EDM. I even find some results with EDM in the same paragraph with Nielsen:

EDM Music & Dance Songs Chart | Billboard
www.billboard.com/charts/dance-electronic-songs
Billboard
This week's most popular dance/electronic songs, based on radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen Music, sales data as compiled by ...
Zedd · ‎Calvin Harris · ‎Martin Garrix

•••
At first sight, the domain looks as a not worth even the registration fee. However, doing some search I find that EDM is used for Electric Dance Music on Google. So your name is Stream EDM. I even find some results in which I find EDM in the same paragraph with Nielsen:
Nice research. Never should've countered so low IMO.

Right. Electronic dance music.

•••
nothings really official yet. Its all just been over emails.

•••
•••
U guys think i should up the price?

•••
You can't if you already agreed to 250

•••
Kind of late at this point, isn't it?

what this poster said ^ ^ ^

•••
Well, if you already agreed to a price, I guess you are bound by the terms of your communication with the other party. Again, just my guess, not being a lawyer... But ethically you are also bound, unless the other party fails to comply with your agreement.

•••
•••
@Joshh71390

You should've asked before accepting the $250 offer.

•••
•••
i asked him the same thing. it was a whois lookup =) i thought the same thing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back