IT.COM

advice Need help acquiring a twitter username

NameSilo
Watch

siddardha

Established Member
Impact
Bought an expired domain recently.
The domain has a twitter username associated with it which is inactive for a long time.
The email associated with the account is also on the domain itself.
%5Ba4ce115d0e738c916177ea774afc32c7%5D_Image%25202018-09-20%2520at%25202.39.28%2520PM.png

I figured, if I could find out the exact email, I could create the same on the domain and request forgot password

Any Idea how to figure out the other two letters after 'al'?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bought an expired domain recently.
The domain has a twitter username associated with it which is inactive for a long time.
The email associated with the account is also on the domain itself.
%5Ba4ce115d0e738c916177ea774afc32c7%5D_Image%25202018-09-20%2520at%25202.39.28%2520PM.png

I figured, if I could find out the exact email, I could create the same on the domain and request forgot password

Any Idea how to figure out the other two letters after 'al'?
Can you explain what you are trying to achieve in more detail? At the moment it seems like you are trying to hack into an account. Do you own the twitter account? If not, how will requesting forgot password help you? You need access to the email as well.

•••
If its inactive send tweet to owner and ask him to help you.
i am sure he is not interested in this account if he dropped domain already.

•••
Can you explain what you are trying to achieve in more detail? At the moment it seems like you are trying to hack into an account. Do you own the twitter account? If not, how will requesting forgot password help you? You need access to the email as well.

I bought an expired domain, which has a twitter account with the exact words.

The twitter account was used back in 2011-12 for their business and has not been used since then. I am trying to get that account as I can use it for my website.

Please note that I dont want to misrepresnt them or use any of their old info for any illegal or unethical purposes. While there might be a remote similarty in what we are doing now, it is very remote.

The email for that twitter account is on the domain itself. If I can know the exact email, I can create the same email on the domain and request password.

I would have contacted them directly to get the info, but couldn't find any info regarding who operated it on their twitter, whois, archive or the website.

•••
If its inactive send tweet to owner and ask him to help you.
i am sure he is not interested in this account if he dropped domain already.

How will the owner get a notification? The email is on the domain which I own now and its been inactive for around 7 years now!

•••
did you tried way back machine? check history snapshots maybe you can see.

•••
Removing my answer.

agree with @equity78

Last edited:
•••
How will the owner get a notification? The email is on the domain which I own now and its been inactive for around 7 years now!

The twitter account does not belong to the person that owns an associated domain name. It's almost equivalent to domain hijacking. Telling someone you are not using something that belongs to you and I want it.

Best way to go is to contact Twitter.

•••
did you tried way back machine? check history snapshots maybe you can see.

Tried that. Found only [email protected] which is not used to login to twitter

The twitter account does not belong to the person that owns an associated domain name. It's almost equivalent to domain hijacking. Telling someone you are not using something that belongs to you and I want it.

Best way to go is to contact Twitter.

It definitely doesn't belong to the domain owner. And if there is a way to get it touch with them, that will be the first thing I would do

•••
You set up the domain email to use a different catch-all address. That is what I do for my many Twitter email addresses. I have many individual accounts but they filter to the same email.

That said, it's not your twitter account no matter how its spun. Contact twitter and explain it to them. If it isn't being used and you have the domain originally used, they will transfer it to you.

They aren't going to give you anything but the account, so you should start building a new Twitter Id and followers. Then when Twitter gives you the other account, you just swap the name to the temp account you created.

•••
•••
You set up the domain email to use a different catch-all address. That is what I do for my many Twitter email addresses. I have many individual accounts but they filter to the same email.

That said, it's not your twitter account no matter how its spun. Contact twitter and explain it to them. If it isn't being used and you have the domain originally used, they will transfer it to you.

They aren't going to give you anything but the account, so you should start building a new Twitter Id and followers. Then when Twitter gives you the other account, you just swap the name to the temp account you created.

Thank you. It worked.

•••
Thank you. It worked.

Fair enough it worked but you need to be careful. The account is not yours even if the domain is. You need to contact Twitter and explain what you did. You have gained unauthorised access to someone else's Twitter account and under law this is illegal. The fact that you have just broadcast it here is also not good for you.

As per my previous response, you are hacking an account which is why I didn't help you.

•••
Fair enough it worked but you need to be careful. The account is not yours even if the domain is. You need to contact Twitter and explain what you did. You have gained unauthorised access to someone else's Twitter account and under law this is illegal. The fact that you have just broadcast it here is also not good for you.

As per my previous response, you are hacking an account which is why I didn't help you.

Thank you. Will contact both Twitter and the previous owner when I find him. Have been searching for some kind of contact info for many days.

•••
you are hacking an account which is why I didn't help you.

You actually did help him.

Did you think you were the only one in the forum that knows how to accomplish what OP was asking?

Nobody responded because it's illegal, and unethical at best.

If little 6 year old Timmy has the keys to the car, and is sitting in the driver seat, you can't ethically then instruct him how to use the car and then claim innocence as he crashes into several parked cars.

•••
You actually did help him.

Did you think you were the only one in the forum that knows how to accomplish what OP was asking?

Nobody responded because it's illegal, and unethical at best.

If little 6 year old Timmy has the keys to the car, and is sitting in the driver seat, you can't ethically then instruct him how to use the car and then claim innocence as he crashes into several parked cars.

That's a very stupid response. It was a different responder who helped him - check the thread. I have just told him to own up to Twitter. So in your "scenario" little Timmy has stolen the keys and I have told him to own up to the police before he attempts to drive it.

All you've done is sat on the side walk and shouted at someone who told him to do the right thing.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't think of hacking it or misusing it. Since it wasn't being used, and having a exact word username helps, I thought of getting it. But it does seem unethical to me.

Will continue searching for the owner before I start using it.

•••
This is not only unethical is it straight up illegal. Owning a domain name does not give you rights to accounts at third party sites.

You hacked into this person's Twitter account by using the email. Why not their Facebook, or Amazon, or Paypal, etc. Those accounts are property of the party that created them and you are not entitled to them simply by registering a domain name.

It is complete nonsense that anyone would justify this behavior as anything legitimate.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is not only unethical is it straight up illegal. Owning a domain name does not give you rights to accounts at third party sites.

You hacked into this person's Twitter account by using the email. Why not their Facebook, or Amazon, or Paypal, etc. Those accounts are property of the party that created them and you are not entitled to them simply by registering a domain name.

It is complete nonsense that anyone would justify this behavior as anything legitimate.

Brad

I second that.

•••
I found the previous owner on facebook.
Messaged him
Will update with his response

•••
Thank you. Will contact both Twitter and the previous owner when I find him. Have been searching for some kind of contact info for many days.

You better hope twitter don't ban this account and all others you own. You hacked into someone else's account illegally and have messaged him to tell him this.

Well done:facepalm:

•••
This is very wrong. While you are it, you could maybe take over his bank accounts, E-mails, his registrar account and associated domain names and who knows what else he neglected. I mean, he 'apparently' does not need those assets any more so help yourself.
We are talking about identity theft here and most likely wire fraud, a federal crime.

Last edited:
•••
You better hope twitter don't ban this account and all others you own. You hacked into someone else's account illegally and have messaged him to tell him this.

Well done:facepalm:

I messaged him asking if he could give the account to me or if he wants it back. Not to tell him, to ask/request for it.

This is very wrong. While you are it, you could maybe take over his bank accounts, E-mails, his registrar account and associated domain names and who knows what else he neglected. I mean, he 'apparently' does not need those assets any more so help yourself.
We are talking about identity theft here and most likely wire fraud, a federal crime.

I only got access to a business twitter account and it does not have any personal details, info, password or anything that would enable me take over his other accounts. As per the info I found, the business only ran for around 1-2 years long time ago and is no longer running or active. And I am not taking over anything. The account is untouched.

My intention is to only get the 'username' if possible. Nothing more. Not twitter followers, previous website assets or anything else.

If I found any personal info, I would have contacted beforehand and asked them directly.

I found two guys on facebook who might be the owners of the account and messaged them in detail about what happened and requesting for the account.

Once again, the account is untouched. And I am requesting permission. If they wont provide, I will give transfer the account back to them at once.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back