IT.COM

question Need help ! "abusive registrations" "verify legitimacy"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kamikazeD

Established Member
Impact
a few days after purchasing some domains some got marked/suspended to apparently prevent abusive registrations

I was told to reach out to the legal and abuse department

these domains are normal not out of the blue or anything like "this big company name x"

one of the domains i actually even spent around 800 on...

i said the domains were to be used to conduct business some service offerings some news sources just kept it simple since i wasn't even sure if this was bullshit or not.

they responded by saying "they have the grounds to believe that the services in question are involved in the express abusive activity" which they said is against their terms and attached a link to their website...

Continued to say be informed you will not have those domains unsuspended due to the nature of the issue

The decision is final and not subject to negotiation.

How the hell can they make such absolutely baseless claims and then say the decision is final without a care in the world?

Any help here is much much appreciated...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would never click a link and then login at its target page.

What I do instead: first login by visiting the site normally.
(type the address manually, or use bookmark)
Then click the link if necessary. If the link is legitimate it will
recognize me because of cookies.

You can't trust the domain of url, or the domain in sender's email,
because they can be faked. For example they can use nonascII
characters which resemble usual letters and digits.

•••
I didn't know you cant trust the domain in the sender's email that's new to me thanks for that info.

I got the email address from within my account where there is normally a "manage" button it said "contact support" and an email address popped up to contact.

I'm not sure why they want what they asked for I've never heard of such requests

•••
Just got in contact with @tamar I will update here what ends up happening. Fingers crossed this gets dealt with easily as it's already been a massive headache, stressor and timewaster.

I think this thread could eventually help lots of others that had similar issues and help provide crucial info to potential new customers to showcase if namecheap is or is not the right place to go to for registering domains and becoming a client.

We will see what happens and if things get rectified.

•••
Hi there, I have just had this happen to me and I have told Namecheap that I do not understand what the problem is with the three domains they call into question, 3 perfectly innocent NFT domains, and have said that they should delete the domains and issue me with a refund. I just dont need the hassle.

•••
They say , no refund and the service will remain suspended until expiry and deleted by the registry.
So be it, they are in charge.

Last edited:
•••
I got in contact with a rep from Namecheap on here @tamar waiting for an update still. Hopeful she can assist as why else would they be involved in this community. I don't think it would be appropriate to be able to market namecheap services to people on here and not assist when clients have issues. That would be a pretty bad look imo.

We will see what happens.

As of now, I'm gonna hold back my true thoughts, comments and potential next steps. Hopefully, Tamar will rectify this amicably.

I will say the fact this has gone this far and the namecheap staff via email will do absolutely nothing, give no explanations and refuse to have any type of convo already leaves a very sour taste and I can't help but wonder the number of people this has happened to.

They are trained to act like a brick wall to make people think nothing can be done. Logically none of it adds up. I'm sure it's not just namecheap that does this so be careful but my experience right now is with namecheap and that is my focus namecheap.

I am not one to roll over and say "so be it" if your domains are innocent why would you be okay with that? You don't think they will just do it again to you? Or to someone else you know?

People need to have more integrity this is why big companies do what they do get away with what they do. Stand up for yourself. Nobody else will.

It's about the principal

•••
Good luck to you, each to his own.

•••
Alright so after speaking with Tamar I was able to get things sorted out. Although there is a sour taste in my mouth that may never go away from this I can say that Tamar who is a namecheap staff rep was exceptional with helping me out and must say many thanks to her as this issue I couldn't make sense of was occupying my brain nonstop.

Big thank you to Brad for mentioning Tamar as well and everyone else that responded to genuinely try to help means a lot.

Very thankful for namepros

Hoping this was a one-off type of situation and not many others haven't had these types of issues.

Regardless has me thinking more about decentralized domains...

PS.

It is always about the principal

•••
So it sounds like you didn't get the domains or a refund. Why?

•••
I did get them unsuspended all back to normal

•••
•••
good question i dont know exactly... I was told is they re-reviewed it and determined it was ok now... I only got them to re-review it thanks to the rep that's active here on namepros

Im just hoping this was some type of one-off situation.

•••
I personally think that what you experienced is probably happening to more than to just you. I also think this says some good things about using NPs. But it is a warning shot across the bows about using NameCheap as your register. IMHO.

•••
I personally think that what you experienced is probably happening to more than to just you. I also think this says some good things about using NPs. But it is a warning shot across the bows about using NameCheap as your register. IMHO.
@tamar

Is there any chance you could clarify what went on here?

We don't need a detailed summary, but a rough overview of what happened would be nice as others are concerned about this.

Brad

•••
I am still trying to grasp “abusive“ registrations. Now that you have been given back the names care to share one?

•••
Thank you so much for joining. 🌹
Tamar will come on shortly and verify if your really NC rep. Then you get an official namecheap badge
Hello, my name is Alyona K., I work at Namecheap as Domains jr Product manager. I'm sorry to know about your experience with us. Please share your ticket ID with me in PM and I'll clarify the situation with our Legal and Abuse team.

•••
sounds like a .ca or some other country tld that doesnt allow private registering of names. I got the same thing with .nc domains. You have to be a business or have a reason in their country to have their domain. gl.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back