IT.COM

information NASA is naming rocks etc on Mars in Navajo language

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Working with the Navajo Nation, the rover team has named features on Mars with words from the Navajo language.

kk.jpg

The first scientific focus of NASA’s Perseverance rover is a rock named “Máaz” – the Navajo word for “Mars.” The rover’s team, in collaboration with the Navajo Nation Office of the President and Vice President, has been naming features of scientific interest with words in the Navajo language.

read more (nasa)

maaz.com (Reg)
máaz.com (IDN not yet)

Dictionary: English - Navajo

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Makes it difficult to us to match the exact term in domain names without IDN usage now does it? Maybe this was part of the plan :P

But over and above the world revolving around DN, I like the reasoning towards awareness of the Navajo language, and interesting that this has been used historically because of their unreadability in codes by computers like in WWII.

The computing used on the rover will using translations that best resemble it.

•••
•••
Lol, that is pretty interesting

•••
Makes it difficult to us to match the exact term in domain names without IDN usage now does it? Maybe this was part of the plan :P

The names are related to the Navajo legend "Creation of the Sky/World" (basic translation) // search and discover their legends //

“Just as the stars keep the sky up, the star ceilings keep the rock from falling.”

Last edited:
•••
I was wondering how the Navajo name sounded like the Latin name, but when I looked up the etymology I've realised that it was recently derived from English.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Máaz

Did the Navajo have their own names for the stars, and if so, why not use them instead?

Last edited:
•••
I was wondering how the Navajo name sounded like the Latin name, but when I looked up the etymology I've realised that it was recently derived from English.

Did the Navajo have their own names for the stars, and if so, why not use them instead?

I'm still in Discovery mode :)
navajostargazer.com
Navajo Skies Guide (PDF attached)

Attachments

• Navajo_Skies_Guide_2017.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 176
•••
Last edited:
•••
I'm also in discovery mode now ;)

IAU Approves 86 New Star Names From Around the World
(2017)

The International Astronomical Union’s Working Group on Star Names formally approved 86 new names for stars, which are now in the IAU stellar name catalogue. The catalogue now contains the approved names of 313 stars.
... Aboriginal Australians are among the oldest continuous cultures in the world, going back more than 65 000 years, representing some of the most ancient star names in the IAU catalogue.

Last edited:
•••
I'm also in discovery mode now ;)

IAU Approves 86 New Star Names From Around the World
(2017)

The International Astronomical Union’s Working Group on Star Names formally approved 86 new names for stars, which are now in the IAU stellar name catalogue. The catalogue now contains the approved names of 313 stars.
... Aboriginal Australians are among the oldest continuous cultures in the world, going back more than 65 000 years, representing some of the most ancient star names in the IAU catalogue.

Spotted already and reg. a few names in king, more like a personal / collector items / trophies :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Rocks are the ultimate nft's I guess. Have always seen beauty in their steadfastness. Permanence.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back