Dynadot

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Why would you ever use a telephone to surf the Internet? This is what I did to solve the mobility issue:

Show attachment 204491

I think my first computer was Atari.. in 90s..so that's like desktop... then pc...desktops.. til say 2019...then i switched laptop...then only about 2yrs ago.. I tried phone.. it has limitations.. small screen etc... but in the end there isnt another device on earth that beats having all of internet and the world literally in yer pocket or hand... versus having some stupid big laptops in backpack...or even worst a desktop..

there is reason why most today use phone to go on net... wild guess ... 80% earthlings.... and why in 10 yrs nobody will be even making laptops or desktops

so yea... minus the new sucky np ui... I got no complaints.. well... enjoy carrying yer laptop or desktop around ;p

•••
I think my first computer was Atari.. in 90s..so that's like desktop... then pc...desktops.. til say 2019...then i switched laptop...then only about 2yrs ago.. I tried phone.. it has limitations.. small screen etc... but in the end there isnt another device on earth that beats having all of internet and the world literally in yer pocket or hand... versus having some stupid big laptops in backpack...or even worst a desktop..

there is reason why most today use phone to go on net... wild guess ... 80% earthlings.... and why in 10 yrs nobody will be even making laptops or desktops

so yea... minus the new sucky np ui... I got no complaints.. well... enjoy carrying yer laptop or desktop around ;p
People have been predicting the death of the PC for at least the last decade already. Yet sales last year were at record levels. Yep, phones are amazing, and convenient, but I'm yet to see how I can fold up a few 24" screens and put them in my pocket. I'll see you back here in 10 years, and I'll guarantee the PC will still be alive and kicking.

•••
People have been predicting the death of the PC for at least the last decade already. Yet sales last year were at record levels. Yep, phones are amazing, and convenient, but I'm yet to see how I can fold up a few 24" screens and put them in my pocket. I'll see you back here in 10 years, and I'll guarantee the PC will still be alive and kicking.
100%
If desktops are leaving us ten years from now then so are dot-coms

There is no greater Internet experience then via the PC.. everything else is wannabe

•••
Thanks for the new improvements. New Posts right column showing again 5 posts instead of just 3.
Now it just needs to place this column above the Featured Polls and that would be done :xf.smile:
New Posts column has the latest posts and is more dynamic and important than the Featured Polls one. (y)

Last edited:
•••

a decade or more? phones were nowhere near as populr a decade ago..so yer statement makes no sense.

what does make sense is to say that every passing year phones are more and more common and popular..therefore it is inevitable eventually 99percent earthlings will use phones.. and it will no longer be profitable to make desktops or laptops for 50 buyers on earth.

phones evolve too... folding etc.. eventually will have big folding..holo.. etc..displays.. and anyone thinking of laptops or desktops will need to visit museum

Last edited:
•••
a decade or more? phones were nowhere near as populr a decade ago..so yer statement makes no sense.

what does make sense is to say that every passing year phones are more and more common and popular..therefore it is inevitable eventually 99percent earthlings will use phones.. and it will no longer be profitable to make desktops or laptops for 50 buyers on earth.

phones evolve too... folding etc.. eventually will have big folding..holo.. etc..displays.. and anyone thinking of laptops or desktops will need to visit museum
My statement makes absolute sense because it's true. Commentators have been predicting the death of the desktop PC for at least that long. First it was because the notebook would kill it off. Then it was because the tablet would kill it off. And now the phone. Note that it wasn't me predicting the death of the PC - it was apparently expert commentators. They were wrong. And the PC still isn't going away anytime soon.

•••
I have to assume this has been covered prior, but a quick search turned up nothing.

Is there a reason I no longer get notifications when a post is liked/agreed,etc? Is there something we as users have to change in our settings to get back to the 'regular' notifications or has this been lost in the upgrade?

•••
I have to assume this has been covered prior, but a quick search turned up nothing.

Is there a reason I no longer get notifications when a post is liked/agreed,etc? Is there something we as users have to change in our settings to get back to the 'regular' notifications or has this been lost in the upgrade?

dont bother..I asked this twice.. apparently Part of new np is to no longer give a dang answering questions even for 20k posters

•••
100%
If desktops are leaving us ten years from now then so are dot-coms

There is no greater Internet experience then via the PC.. everything else is wannabe

do u even realise how many use phones to surf net... vs desktop laptop tablet.. ? do u realise this number is going nowhere but up..

but that's ok too if u and couple people on np will be only ones using desktop for net in 10 yrs.. it's ok to be different

and no... this has zero to do with downfall of .com or my mother's underwear colour.

•••
My statement makes absolute sense because it's true. Commentators have been predicting the death of the desktop PC for at least that long. First it was because the notebook would kill it off. Then it was because the tablet would kill it off. And now the phone. Note that it wasn't me predicting the death of the PC - it was apparently expert commentators. They were wrong. And the PC still isn't going away anytime soon.

I see. so yet statement makes sense cause it's true ..I rest my case.

seriously tho.. I couldn't care less how we access net in 10 yrs.. but it 99percent population uses phones.. it's pure logic desktop laptop productions will become just an insignificant or dead end.

•••
I see. so yet statement makes sense cause it's true ..I rest my case.

seriously tho.. I couldn't care less how we access net in 10 yrs.. but it 99percent population uses phones.. it's pure logic desktop laptop productions will become just an insignificant or dead end.
Just 1 question to you - have you dealt with graphic designing or high spec gaming?

•••
Just 1 question to you - have you dealt with graphic designing or high spec gaming?
Or the average Office-worker, or engineers using CAD...
I happen to be in IT Procurement, and there's a reason 24" screens are one of my most common sales.
There's no doubt that there's a pretty big push toward mobile in the corporate space (particularly increased with COVID-induced WFH requirements), but it's all laptops, convertible tablets (e.g. Surface Pro), etc - and every user wants a docking station and 1 or 2x 24" screens to go with it.

•••

no and neither have say 95% of world population..hence my point.

•••
Or the average Office-worker, or engineers using CAD...
I happen to be in IT Procurement, and there's a reason 24" screens are one of my most common sales.
There's no doubt that there's a pretty big push toward mobile in the corporate space (particularly increased with COVID-induced WFH requirements), but it's all laptops, convertible tablets (e.g. Surface Pro), etc - and every user wants a docking station and 1 or 2x 24" screens to go with it.

again...5percent of world.population max... and less most likely..

•••
again...5percent of world.population max... and less most likely..
You really should check some actual stats instead of working off assumptions. On raw numbers somewhere around 25 - 30% of the population has a PC. But the fact is that there are many households that have 1 PC between several family members, thus it would be WAY over 30% who have access to a PC. Of course there is also the large % of the world's population who live in poverty or are in deepest darkest Africa and thus have no use for a PC (and really should be excluded as potential users). Not that it will matter to you. Your mind is made up. I understand your position. But it's a tad inaccurate.

This is way off-topic though, I have no reason to comment further.

•••
I just know even my 24" screen isn't big enough for NPs. I need to wear my reading glasses to make the text big enough to read. It's simply impossible on a cellphone. This is not ALL NPs fault. A forum software isn't really compatible with small screens. I understand why NPs did what they did. They needed to preserve their content and to keep their old "look n feel". The problem is with that, it's an uphill battle to get the developers to move out of that mode, to a more attractive platform. TBH. I've never really liked the look 'n feel of NPs. The design is still from the 1990's. They need to be working on a design which is MUCH more modern and spacious. But I don't ever see that happening. It's a shame. Really. There is really a lot of good content here. But it's a chore to look it up. And it's ugly when you find it. The upgrade was a mammoth undertaking. Mostly handled pretty well and in record time.

•••
what does mean impact? @Rick Schwartz Impact 478 Obviously his impact much more for industry.

•••
•••
•••
Why have you removed the Send Message button from the threads in Domain Buyer Requests?
It's back. 😎

can someone tell me where in this pathetic mess I can find the likes u received page?
It'll be easier to find soon: https://www.namepros.com/account/quick-replies

That's from an advertiser: Learn more.

But for discussion threads, it kills the navigation flow, especially on mobile
There are some fixes coming to improve it. Once they're available, we'll let you know, and then please let us know if that resolves everything.

Is there a reason I no longer get notifications when a post is liked/agreed,etc?
Coming soon.

Part of new np is to no longer give a dang answering questions even for 20k posters
That's not true. Many questions in this thread were already answered before they were asked again. At some point, we have to prioritize fixing the issues and making improvements based on your feedback, rather than responding to the same questions repeatedly.

A lot is getting done. Once a few more things are done, we'll provide more updates about what's changed.

In the meantime, please continue to provide us with suggestions and feedback.

what does mean impact?
Your impact is solely from your contributions on NamePros.

Influence determines how many points you can add to content and subtract from content.

Impact gives you influence.

Learn more.

•••
Chat is not a chat it's a thread. There is no chatroom. Otherwise threads would be called chats and forums would be called discos and monkeys would be called elephants. So sad to see blind acceptance of this new normal.

•••
It's back. 😎

It'll be easier to find soon: https://www.namepros.com/account/quick-replies

That's from an advertiser: Learn more.

There are some fixes coming to improve it. Once they're available, we'll let you know, and then please let us know if that resolves everything.

Coming soon.

That's not true. Many questions in this thread were already answered before they were asked again. At some point, we have to prioritize fixing the issues and making improvements based on your feedback, rather than responding to the same questions repeatedly.

A lot is getting done. Once a few more things are done, we'll provide more updates about what's changed.

In the meantime, please continue to provide us with suggestions and feedback.

Your impact is solely from your contributions on NamePros.

Influence determines how many points you can add to content and subtract from content.

Impact gives you influence.

Learn more.

tnx..but I find new np is not an improvement.. it is less efficient...effective... I would trade it for old in heartbeat.. u should have held a public vote.. then aftr seeing 90percent preferring old ui.... u would at least know u are going against majority with this terrible new ui.

•••
•••
this terrible new ui
Very true. I myself post or read less now. Much less. I was hoping that NP will try to fix at least:
- fonts
- remove unnecessary "Similar threads" (bottom)
- remove unnecessary sticky 1st post in each thread / each and every page
- (add) 3rd party addon to ignore forums or threads. There is at least one such addon publicly available.

Unfortunately, NP is now risking to remain basically with the following (posts which would appear regardless): For Sale threads, promo posts from registrars, bloggers promoting their blogs. Is it what NP exists for? To some extend, imo, it exists to make money from ads. Nothing wrong with it. It still shows ads (ads were migrated promptly). I can only wish best of luck to NP team, thanking all the team for providing a good place to communicate during years. Hope that $$$ amount earned from ads, as well as membership upgrades, would not decrease as the result of the upgrade.

Last edited:
•••
Back