NameSilo

NamePros Environmental Thread does anyone care that Amazon Rain Forest is burning down to the ground

Labeled as debate in The Break Room started by oldtimer, Aug 23, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Blitzpotz

Blitzpotz Account Closed (Requested) VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Very well said. I share your sorrow. As long as short-time economic advantages and securing political power by manipulating less educated masses are successful there will be no change to the better. Mankind must and will go past the point of no return to understand and to act.

Last week the European Union has agreed to a strategy to be climate neutral until 2050. This may be too late especially if other nations do not even think about measures. As a side note Poland is the only EU nation with acceptance of a 2080 neutrality goal. 60 years from now! The really bad thing is they want to burn their coal as long as possible. Coal is on top of the global warming reason hitlist. It does not just spread CO2 but also quicksilver which pollutes drinking water after all.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Some interesting info

Sustainable Development Goals:

https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/

COP25 ended with lack of agreement to increase climate ambition:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/12/1053561

COP25: UN climate change conference, 5 things you need to know:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/12/1052251

Deliver ‘significant results now’, UN General Assembly President tells COP25 climate conference:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/12/1053141

UN News for Climate:

https://news.un.org/en/search/climate

In all honesty some of these UN programs seem to have been designed as if things weren't in such distressed and dire conditions and that they had all the time in the World to have many more conferences to talk and make speeches about the Environment. Under normal conditions these programs might have been considered to be okay for maintaining the Environment, but under the current circumstances the UN needs to realize the urgency of the situation and rise to the challenge and come up with some programs that are going to produce results in 5 years not 50 years.

IMO

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. Cal2

Cal2 Established Member

:xf.rolleyes:

4. J Sokol

J Sokol Top Contributor VIP

Wishing a Happy New Year to all friends of the planet. Let's hope for great strides in 2020 ... but sadly, the title of this thread now applies to Australia.

5. oldtimer

It seems like everything is increasing in intensity as far as floods, fires, droughts, storms, and hurricanes and looks like this is going to be the new norm that we have to live with from now on.

At this time we can only pray for those who are taking the brunt of all these natural disasters and deep in our thoughts think about if there was something that could have been done in the past 50 years that would have prevented the situations that we are facing today.

Happy New Year to everyone, lets hope that in this new year people can overcome all the disagreements and animosities that has brought everything to a stalemate and work together to come up with a solution for all the problems that Humanity and this Planet are facing before it gets to be too late.

PS: I might have to cut down on my participation in the forum since I am facing some health issues arising from my ongoing disabilities and coronary heart problem, but I am glad that I was able to be part of a movement that has created a little more awareness about saving Humanity and our Home Planet.

IMO

6. J Sokol

Sorry to hear about your health troubles @oldtimer -- I hope you'll continue to contribute when you're able.

As for our future as a planet, I feel only moderately hopeful. On the one hand, new technologies are being developed and applied all the time and new policies are being implemented around the world to address the problems. On the other hand, oil companies are still drilling and are now focusing on producing MORE plastic, since demand for gas has declined. Amazon is blanketing the world with warehouses and delivery trucks for customers who expect instant delivery. In my mid-western city, most people seem to be going about their lives, oblivious to impending disaster.

It will be interesting to look back a year from now and see what political and cultural changes have taken place with regard to climate change. Let's hope it shifts in a positive direction.

7. oldtimer

Just saw the report about the over one million seabirds that have died not long ago due to the abnormally high temperatures in the oceans. Add that to all the animals that have perished in Australia recently and that are facing starvation and extinction elsewhere around the World and it's beginning to become more and more clearer that urgent action needs to be taken today as such that is going to have a big impact in solving these problems before we reach the point of no return.

It might be easy for some to ignore the millions of animals that have perished or that are in distress, but today it's animals tomorrow it's going to be people that are going to get caught in the horrible effects of rampant climate change. Starvation, mass migrations, local and global conflicts and Wars are what is awaiting us if we look the other way to what is happening to the wildlife today.

PS: just registered the domain ClimateFairy.com , maybe Climate Fairy will save us because I don't see any meaningful and effective actions being taken by people beyond just giving lengthy speeches at the conferences.

IMO

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. J Sokol

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice