Dynadot

NameFAQs - Answers to common domain name questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
NameFAQs - http://www.namefaqs.com

I am compiling a list of frequently asked questions about domain names. The goal is to have a base of knowledge that will further help 'Newbies' become 'Name Pros'.

What kind of questions do you think would be fitting to include?

If you'd like to help further the effort, you can post or PM your Domain Related Questions and Answers.

As a little bonus, if your question makes it onto NameFAQs you'll get 25 NP$ out of it, and if you provide a question AND an answer to the question and we use it, you'll receive 75 NP$

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Svip said:
Q: Is it possible to use any other characters than a-z in a domain name?

A: Both yes and no, cause the special characters ( such as 'Γ¦', 'ΓΈ' and 'Γ₯' ) are not in fact in the domain, but is replaced by other character strings. For example the domain name 'ΓΈΓΈΓΈΓΈ.dk' is replaced by 'xn--pdaaaa.dk'. Other sites, such as 'Γ¦lfred.com' is replaced by 'xn--lfred-rra.com'. But it does depend on your registration provider.

I am not entirely sure how it works though. :/

well, in Germany the "Γ€" is written (emails/websites) as "ae"...example: http://www.kraetzae.de/ for KRΓ„TZΓ„ (some children rights group in Germany)

# I'm still reading the other posts B-)

•••
Q: How or where can you check the web page history of a domain name, and see when it was first registered, even if it has not been continually registered? Where can you see any past web pages that were under any domain name?

A: You can check web page history and when a domain name was first registered at The Internet Wayback Machine; www.web.archive.org

EDITED by Staff
#1 - We don't allow other Domain Forums to Advertise here - It's in our rules.
#2 - Anything you can advertise here should be in your signature mostly , Not added to the bottom of every post you make.

Any more posts from you in this manner will be considered Spam.
Please note your other posts have been removed already ...

Sorry, won't happen again

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Bogsnes said:
hey.
i have a litlle question about the value of different domains.
what is most worth of
.name and
.info?

I know .com is the best, but after that?

This could boil down to a debate but I will base my answer on a driving around Las Vegas test. It appears .com is definitely #1, .net .info and .us seem to be tied for the #2 spot, .org .biz .tv .gov seem to be tied for way distant third, anything else is way below third place because I can't recall seeing them on billboards or anywhere else.

•••
bigroxtar said:
i got the dreamweaver demo and it works great but its 400. i have heard that you can get older versions on ebay for about 150, but anyone have any better ideas of software for website design?
I have found Dreamweaver to have a steep learning curve.

I use 1st Page 2000 Free HTML Editor to edit templates.

For quick jobs I use XSitePro WYSIWYG web design software.

invincible.vib said:
You can choose a good keyword by doing a bit of research using
google, wordtracker, and overtune.

Using wordtracker & some other SEO tools you can check the traffic
of that particular keyword. The more traffic that keyword has the
more profitable that keyword becomes and so the domain becomes.
Hi. I use WordTracker and Overture.

I have noticed that the Ovture Keyword Suggestion Tool is displaying results from January 2007 and right now it is June. Can this make it difficult to cross-check WordTracker results?

Also, I have just registered a three word, 21 character .com domain (adult) with a WordTracker score of:
Count: 385 - Predict: 679

All the other extentions are available. Is this a good way to pick domains? Should I go ahead and get the .net as well?

There is minimal type-in traffic. Would this increase if the property is developed and the name gets branded?

•••
What is so special about domain registration, and why must I pay for it? Why can't I do it myself?

Not sure if anyone has asked this before. :)

•••
monkeydo said:
What is so special about domain registration, and why must I pay for it? Why can't I do it myself?

Not sure if anyone has asked this before. :)

You can become a domain registrar yourself and register at the wholesale cost of normally $6 per domain to each registry. To apply and purchase the software, network bandwidth, and systems to do so would probably cost you at least $50k and more likely $100k+. You would have to buy a LOT of domains to make up that $.95 difference of just buying from a registrar to just break even. That wouldn't even count the ongoing network and staff cost. Even a large registrar pays a major portion of the reg fee to the TLD registry for each registration.

•••
Someone has registered a domain name strikingly similar to a trademark/patent of mine and is blatantly using it to point traffic to my competitors.

Do I have any legal recourse to get the domain from them? If so, how do I go about it?

•••
•••
I want to sell a domain name, how i can sell my domain name.

•••
fivecard said:
Someone has registered a domain name strikingly similar to a trademark/patent of mine and is blatantly using it to point traffic to my competitors.

Do I have any legal recourse to get the domain from them? If so, how do I go about it?
Is that a question for the FAQ or did it really happen?

•••
It seems that http://www.namefaqs.com website is having a technical problem.
Does anybody else have trouble using the website??

•••
I may be missing something here, but what's the benefit in paying boo koo bucks to register a .tv name that will be sold for around a hundred dollars, or less?

•••
A few questions ? (I certainly don't have the answers I am a newbie)

1. where, when, at what cost does one sell a domain ? usually at an auction ?

1a. how do you evaluate a domain before you buy or before you sell (general ideas) ?

2. what are the costs involved with a transfer of a domain ? are there free transfers ? If the owner stays the same (only domain registrar changes) is that a different kind of transfer (different charges ?)

3. what is the difference between "DNS trasfer" and "Registrar Transfer", are both needed in an actual tranfer ? (costs ?)

4. what is a free push ? do all registrars have it ?

Last edited:
•••
two more question ...

^^ I still have some 4 questions unanswered right above if anyone cares to give them a try ...

1. bulk registering means that you have to buy the domains (lets say 100) all at the same time ? or could you get preferential prices after lets say you accumulate 100 domains in your account (do companies offer that ?)

2. if you are in the business of buying and selling, its preferable to get some cheap domain reselling account and buy them of your account ? (does that make sense ?)

•••
GiorgosK said:
1. bulk registering means that you have to buy the domains (lets say 100) all at the same time ? or could you get preferential prices after lets say you accumulate 100 domains in your account (do companies offer that ?)

Some domains have bulk search, but you don't have to buy all. Many registrars offer bulk pricing, but what that means will vary. Some offer discounts with a minimum of funding of the account equal to the purchase of multiple domains, However, they can be purchased each once the account is funded. Most will start giving you discounts once you have enough domains with them, but you have to ask.
GiorgosK said:
2. if you are in the business of buying and selling, its preferable to get some cheap domain reselling account and buy them of your account ? (does that make sense ?)

Yes. absolutely. Most reseller accounts probably don't even resell, they are just to get the discount.

GiorgosK said:
1. where, when, at what cost does one sell a domain ? usually at an auction ?

1a. how do you evaluate a domain before you buy or before you sell (general ideas) ?

Commission at sales sites varies between 10% and 20%, often with minimum charges. Read and study here to see what sells for what prices.

GiorgosK said:
2. what are the costs involved with a transfer of a domain ? are there free transfers ? If the owner stays the same (only domain registrar changes) is that a different kind of transfer (different charges ?)

Most registrars don't charge fees to transfer (push) to another person. to transfer to another registrar, you normally just pay another years registration added to the current reg.

GiorgosK said:
3. what is the difference between "DNS trasfer" and "Registrar Transfer", are both needed in an actual tranfer ? (costs ?)

Registrar transfer means you are changing companies who you pay to manage your domain. DNS transfer means you are changing who's DNS servers you are using.
GiorgosK said:
4. what is a free push ? do all registrars have it ?

Push is normally free. Virtually all have push in some form or another. Some you just push to another account, others (like godaddy) you handle more like a transfer and enter who is getting the domain and they have to manage the new account creation and accepting the domain.

•••
Domain Transfer

How long will the transfer take?

This varies from registrar to registrar. Transferring a domain usually take at least 5 to 7 days to complete.

In order to avoid delays of the transfer process, please make sure:
# your domain(s) are not expired.
# your domain(s) are NOT registered or transferred within the last 60 days according to ICANN regulations.
# unlock the domain. If the domain is locked the transfer will fail.
# the email address for the domain adminitrative contact at the current registrar is correct because an approval for transfer are required.
# upon completing the transfer, all contact information are correct.

•••
bigroxtar said:
i got the dreamweaver demo and it works great but its 400. i have heard that you can get older versions on ebay for about 150, but anyone have any better ideas of software for website design?

By far the best place to buy software are computer shows/events. Back in my old development days I once scored the latest versions of VC++ Pro and VB Pro for $40/each. The store prices for these were somewhere north of $500.

PS: mind you these were the legal copies that, once registered, were supported free by Microsoft for a year.

•••
ANother ?'s For FAQ List

1) For a New Name where one shpuld look for its popularity of the keyword or term. (overture is only from Jan 07)

2) Where one should look (any links) that how much that keyword or words are advertisers bidding for in $$$$ or Cents

3) Any other place where to look if the name or keywords you are thinking of buying....how good they are.

Thanks.

•••
error

posted reply instead of creating new thread :'(

Last edited:
•••
what is domain hijacking? and how the hijacker do that?

•••
If I use the domain name search feature at a site like GoDaddy or Hostmonster to see if a name I want is available, is there any way because of capturing my search term they will buy it first or someone working there will buy it before I can register it and sell it for more money later? I have often wondered what happens at those sites when I type in a name to see if it is available.

•••
Critter said:
If I use the domain name search feature at a site like GoDaddy or Hostmonster to see if a name I want is available, is there any way because of capturing my search term they will buy it first or someone working there will buy it before I can register it and sell it for more money later? I have often wondered what happens at those sites when I type in a name to see if it is available.

It can and does happen. Registars deny doing it, of course, and some people even suggest that it's ICANN who does it. It's also possible that a name can be registered by another person just by total coincidence, they thought of the name just after you did and they registered it.

A lot of domainers search to see if domains are available by typing it into their browser's address bar and seeing if there's a site there. If there's not one they can search from a registrar's site when they are ready to register it.

The moral of the story is:

If it's available and you want it, register it immediately, because if you don't someone else might.

•••
Do most domainers purchase a reseller account for the purpose of obtaining the registration discounts for themselves?

•••
Wesley said:
Question: I misspelled my domain name when I was registering, is there any way for me to change it to the correct spelling?

Answer: No, you cannot change the domain name once it is registered. However, you may register the correct spelling as well. You will not have to buy another hosting package, just the domain. You may wish to contact your host for more information on this.
---------------------
Question: What is a "parked domain"?

Answer: When you have a parked domain, it means you own the actual domain, but you do not have a DNS (Domain Name System) to host the site.
---------------------
Question: Can I use capital letters in my domain name?

Answer: Well, yes and no. When registering, all domains are lowercase. However, many people find that using capital letters makes it look more professional. Most web browsers will automatically change capital letters to lowercase, so you can use them when creating links.
But Sometimes..webservers are sensitive to the case of the URL.. (ie. it might not identify Microsoft.com and microsoft.com as the same domain)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back