IT.COM

Namecheap will take over Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
Dear domain investing community,

Three years ago we had a dream that seemed unattainable.
GoDaddy landers and free WHOIS privacy.

Today GoDaddy has introduced some moves that are surely going to completely destroy the domain selling ecosystem.
GoDaddy's standardized 15% accross all markets and methods (bin, maker offer) was enough to increase overall revenue.
25% for anyone not using them is arrogance.

When the king is arrogant, there's rebellion.

Namecheap is building a platform called Spaceship.

"What I plan to do at Spaceship is offer domainers registrations, renewals and transfers at cost. No fee for being part of the "club" or whatever. Offer landers and a low percentage on any commissions."

I asked Namecheap on social media if they could, finally, introduce landers (other than the pathetic solution of redirecting to their marketplace listing). Just landers, like Dynadot, NameSilo, Sav, Porkbun, etc. all have.

Their account first told me they would forward it as a suggestion. But then, their CEO Richard Kirkendall replied to my Tweet saying that Spaceship (their new platform in closed beta testing) would have landers. Good news.

He went on to add in a second tweet in the thread:
"What I plan to do at Spaceship is offer domainers registrations, renewals and transfers at cost. No fee for being part of the "club" or whatever. Offer landers and a low percentage on any commissions." It looks like they are approaching it from a domainer friendly way, make the money as a percentage of aftermarket sales, not on the actual domain registrations and renewals. Their current NC Marketplace commission is 10%.

And then someone asked if it would be just for names registered at Namecheap (which is the case for their existing marketplace) and he responded:
"Will be open to all."

So assuming that really means that a domain name registered anywhere can be listed, and that their marketplace is good (the current one is slow at search) this could be significant competition. He also tweeted about advanced technology and software powering Spaceship.

Is anyone in the Beta trial, and if so are they at liberty to share any opinions, or is it NDA restricted?

-Bob

PS Someone asked about commissions on the forthcoming Spaceship. He did not give a figure but said they would probably be flat, ie not tiered, and low.

Namecheap needs to build a domain syndication platform within Spaceship.
That would completely put and end to GoDaddy and Afternic's rule on the domain name aftermarket.

It is in fact not difficult to do.
Namecheap is the world's second largest registrar
They were also #2 on this year's best registrar poll behind dynadot.
They've got the budget and means to build the platform, reach out to other registrar and get them on them syndication system.

PUTTING AN END TO AFTERNIC.
And cashing out, big time.

All we need from them is the will to do it.
We need to reach out to Namecheap's CEO.
ASAP

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As for launching the "SpaceShip," that's wonderful if this will help provide a revamped marketplace. One has to face some simple realities here, though. NC has not provided an auction platform for its registrants, while other smaller registrars have been readily able to do so. So, in terms of leadership, NC hopefully will be able to step up to the plate quickly with their new venture.
i agree i also asked if i can submit domains for sale on auction model, and the reply was no... but in the marketplace some domains do appear on that option ??

•••
•••
Wow congratulations to Namecheap. Still my fav registrar
Yes, impressive stats. Namecheap does appear to be thriving with getting closer to the #1 spot in market share.

i agree i also asked if i can submit domains for sale on auction model, and the reply was no... but in the marketplace some domains do appear on that option ??
Yes, if your domain is registered with Namecheap, you can put them up on their marketplace for Buy Now, with the listing lasting up to 90d at a time.

•••
Namecheap is not far behind Godaddy in market share:
Those numbers are about New gTLDs only.

Below is an overview of registrars by marketshare, for all domains under management (all TLDs).

1674607692992.png

•••
•••
Those numbers are about New gTLDs only.

Below is an overview of registrars by marketshare, for all domains under management (all TLDs).

Show attachment 230915

How can 78 million be just 12.23%? There are only around 360 million domains registered including all gtld, cctld and ngtlds. So, 78 million is around 22%.

•••
How can 78 million be just 12.23%? There are only around 360 million domains registered including all gtld, cctld and ngtlds. So, 78 million is around 22%.
The percentage column is indeed a bit strange, I was surprised about that too.

•••
The percentage column is indeed a bit strange, I was surprised about that too.

Yeah. And given that Godaddy, naturally, doesn't have much share in cctlds and probably 90%-95% of the names it holds are gtldls/ngtlds, it means they have over 40% of the whole gtld/ngtld market. That is very dominant.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Can we edit the title so it does not appear that NameCheap acquired Afternic?

I’m not a fan of either of these.

Last edited:
•••
Dear domain investing community,

Three years ago we had a dream that seemed unattainable.
GoDaddy landers and free WHOIS privacy.

Today GoDaddy has introduced some moves that are surely going to completely destroy the domain selling ecosystem.
GoDaddy's standardized 15% accross all markets and methods (bin, maker offer) was enough to increase overall revenue.
25% for anyone not using them is arrogance.

When the king is arrogant, there's rebellion.

Namecheap is building a platform called Spaceship.

Namecheap needs to build a domain syndication platform within Spaceship.
That would completely put and end to GoDaddy and Afternic's rule on the domain name aftermarket.

It is in fact not difficult to do.
Namecheap is the world's second largest registrar
They were also #2 on this year's best registrar poll behind dynadot.
They've got the budget and means to build the platform, reach out to other registrar and get them on them syndication system.

PUTTING AN END TO AFTERNIC.
And cashing out, big time.

All we need from them is the will to do it.
We need to reach out to Namecheap's CEO.
ASAP

Well, GoDaddy offer far better customer service than Namecheap.

•••
•••
Title is clickbait; i’m sad you did not edit the title.

Take it from someone who is not a fan of GD or NC.

Last edited:
•••
Back