Dynadot

Namecheap will take over Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
Dear domain investing community,

Three years ago we had a dream that seemed unattainable.
GoDaddy landers and free WHOIS privacy.

Today GoDaddy has introduced some moves that are surely going to completely destroy the domain selling ecosystem.
GoDaddy's standardized 15% accross all markets and methods (bin, maker offer) was enough to increase overall revenue.
25% for anyone not using them is arrogance.

When the king is arrogant, there's rebellion.

Namecheap is building a platform called Spaceship.

"What I plan to do at Spaceship is offer domainers registrations, renewals and transfers at cost. No fee for being part of the "club" or whatever. Offer landers and a low percentage on any commissions."

I asked Namecheap on social media if they could, finally, introduce landers (other than the pathetic solution of redirecting to their marketplace listing). Just landers, like Dynadot, NameSilo, Sav, Porkbun, etc. all have.

Their account first told me they would forward it as a suggestion. But then, their CEO Richard Kirkendall replied to my Tweet saying that Spaceship (their new platform in closed beta testing) would have landers. Good news.

He went on to add in a second tweet in the thread:
"What I plan to do at Spaceship is offer domainers registrations, renewals and transfers at cost. No fee for being part of the "club" or whatever. Offer landers and a low percentage on any commissions." It looks like they are approaching it from a domainer friendly way, make the money as a percentage of aftermarket sales, not on the actual domain registrations and renewals. Their current NC Marketplace commission is 10%.

And then someone asked if it would be just for names registered at Namecheap (which is the case for their existing marketplace) and he responded:
"Will be open to all."

So assuming that really means that a domain name registered anywhere can be listed, and that their marketplace is good (the current one is slow at search) this could be significant competition. He also tweeted about advanced technology and software powering Spaceship.

Is anyone in the Beta trial, and if so are they at liberty to share any opinions, or is it NDA restricted?

-Bob

PS Someone asked about commissions on the forthcoming Spaceship. He did not give a figure but said they would probably be flat, ie not tiered, and low.

Namecheap needs to build a domain syndication platform within Spaceship.
That would completely put and end to GoDaddy and Afternic's rule on the domain name aftermarket.

It is in fact not difficult to do.
Namecheap is the world's second largest registrar
They were also #2 on this year's best registrar poll behind dynadot.
They've got the budget and means to build the platform, reach out to other registrar and get them on them syndication system.

PUTTING AN END TO AFTERNIC.
And cashing out, big time.

All we need from them is the will to do it.
We need to reach out to Namecheap's CEO.
ASAP

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm certainly willing to travel on the SpaceShip if the info above is correct.

As of now I do not have a namecheap account, but will open one shortly if these things will come to pass.

•••
Agreed, Namecheap has a great opportunity here.

For the record: I’m a Spaceship beta tester, but all views are my own.

•••
And yet, they have had some great opportunities for a while, but do appear to be struggling with innovation. Their current Marketplace appears to be very limited in sales, and not much seems to have been done to make that venue more attractive and effective.

Last edited:
•••
It won't take over it is no where near the money. Ferrari won't take over Ford for making better cars.

Last edited:
•••
As for launching the "SpaceShip," that's wonderful if this will help provide a revamped marketplace. One has to face some simple realities here, though. NC has not provided an auction platform for its registrants, while other smaller registrars have been readily able to do so. So, in terms of leadership, NC hopefully will be able to step up to the plate quickly with their new venture.

Last edited:
•••
712Bi59beRL._SL1500_.jpg

•••
You cant list domain names on Namecheap registered elsewhere.
You can't point Namecheap domains on their marketplace landers, only through http forwarding.

•••
I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than engage with namesheep

•••
They are supposedly working on something with Spaceship right now.

•••
Namecheap for 'cheap' sales.

•••
•••
That's going to only attract Namecheap fans.

Everyone else, like myself, is gonna RUN.

•••
It won't take over it is no where near the money. Ferrari won't take over Ford for making better cars.
They just need to offer you a vast network and better commission.
Dominant position or brand power has no value within the network.

You cant list domain names on Namecheap registered elsewhere.
You can't point Namecheap domains on their marketplace landers, only through http forwarding.
Spaceship will be different.
"And then someone asked if it would be just for names registered at Namecheap (which is the case for their existing marketplace) and he responded: "Will be open to all." "

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than engage with namesheep
You'll soon have pins in your eyes.

Namecheap for 'cheap' sales.
The name is Spaceship.

That's going to only attract Namecheap fans.

Everyone else, like myself, is gonna RUN.
I'm not a Namecheap fan.
I'm a Spaceship fan.
With a proper networtk and good commission structure, you'll be the first one to knock on their door.

•••
It's not just arrogance, it's more like an Anticompetitive Practice:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/anticompetitive-practices

Anticompetitive Practices​

The FTC takes action to stop and prevent unfair business practices that are likely to reduce competition and lead to higher prices, reduced quality or levels of service, or less innovation. Anticompetitive practices include activities like price fixing, group boycotts, and exclusionary exclusive dealing contracts or trade association rules, and are generally grouped into two types:
  • agreements between competitors, also referred to as horizontal conduct
  • monopolization, also referred to as single firm conduct
The FTC generally pursues anticompetitive conduct as violations of Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act, which bans “unfair methods of competition” and “unfair or deceptive acts or practices.”

•••
It's not just arrogance, it's more like an Anticompetitive Practice:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/anticompetitive-practices

Anticompetitive Practices​

The FTC takes action to stop and prevent unfair business practices that are likely to reduce competition and lead to higher prices, reduced quality or levels of service, or less innovation. Anticompetitive practices include activities like price fixing, group boycotts, and exclusionary exclusive dealing contracts or trade association rules, and are generally grouped into two types:
  • agreements between competitors, also referred to as horizontal conduct
  • monopolization, also referred to as single firm conduct
The FTC generally pursues anticompetitive conduct as violations of Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act, which bans “unfair methods of competition” and “unfair or deceptive acts or practices.”
They only go after people if they can be bothered.

•••
Not just arrogance. It even breaks The Federal Trade Commission Act:

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/statutes/federal-trade-commission-act

Federal Trade Commission Act​

The Federal Trade Commission Act is the primary statute of the Commission. Under this Act, as amended, the Commission is empowered, among other things, to (a) prevent unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce;

•••
Dear domain investing community,

Three years ago we had a dream that seemed unattainable.
GoDaddy landers and free WHOIS privacy.

Today GoDaddy has introduced some moves that are surely going to completely destroy the domain selling ecosystem.
GoDaddy's standardized 15% accross all markets and methods (bin, maker offer) was enough to increase overall revenue.

When the king is arrogant, there's rebellion.

Namecheap is building a platform called Spaceship.

That would completely put and end to GoDaddy and Afternic's rule on the domain name aftermarket.

It is in fact not difficult to do.
Namecheap is the world's second largest registrar
They were also #2 on this year's best registrar poll behind dynadot.
They've got the budget and means to build the platform, reach out to other registrar and get them on them syndication system.

PUTTING AN END TO AFTERNIC.
And cashing out, big time.

All we need from them is the will to do it.
We need to reach out to Namecheap's CEO.
ASAP
I always loved Namecheap they have kinds people and support get in touch in only minutes with their chat
Afternic is still an old fashioned site look at the gui they could at leaste improve it

•••
Do you think that? GD & Afternic are massive. Idk the numbers but I feel like it would take a lot more than Spaceship for that to happen.

•••
What time frame do you think NameCheap will overtake Godaddy since just debating it is negative ranked?

•••
Do you think that? GD & Afternic are massive. Idk the numbers but I feel like it would take a lot more than Spaceship for that to happen.

What time frame do you think NameCheap will overtake Godaddy since just debating it is negative ranked?
There is no time period or David vs Goliath scenario friends.
All the world needs is a good solution and all the domains will go to there, instantly.

Domain owners dictate who wins.

Good commission + vast network with lots of partnering registrars = instant win.
Regardless of who makes it.

That being said, I'd rather have that built by a brand new registrar specifically built for domainers by an established and trustworthy company.

•••
That being said, I'd rather have that built by a brand new registrar specifically built for domainers by an established and trustworthy company.
So you cannot support your statement other than not wanting to side with big companies.

•••
Any way to send suggestions to the spaceship CEO? I went to spaceship.com but there is only a wait-list to join

•••
•••
Namecheap is not far behind Godaddy in market share:

Screenshot_20230121_141704_Chrome.jpg

https://ntldstats.com/

So yes they can take the initiative to create an alternative to Afternic. I think a collaboration between Namecheap and Sedo can be a pivotal point.

Last edited:
•••
Back