Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
@bhartzer and I have agreed to work on a new venture that is designed to protect end-users from buying damaged domains. Some of the risk factors that can be mitigated include:

Prior Fraudulent Conveyance
Domain Theft post purchase
Negative SEO
UDRP Complaint
Civil Trademark Claims
DDoS attack
Copyright / DMCA complaint
RBL/Spamhaus whitelisting
DNS Hijack protection

The product can be sold as a one-off risk assessment report for a fixed fee of $149 per domain. There will also be free API-based risk scoring estimate available to qualified partners, e.g. Estibot, etc.

The product upsell is an insurance product with target pricing of either:

(1) 1% of face value per year
(2) 4% of face value for duration of ownership

Sample domains all of which are taken:

nameprotect.com
nameprotector.com
namedefender.com
namecheck.com
namefacts.com
namefax.com
domainfax.com
domaincheck.com
nameverify.com
nameinspector.com
namedetective.com

Preferred domain:

- .COM
- Up to 12 characters
- No hyphen
- Should convey name protection or inspection as implied promise
- Passes Radio test for word of mouth

Decision on name selection to be made within 7 days.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
We have our winner:

DNProtect.com

Congratulations to @equity78. He is a great domainer and happens to be an Epik client though that was definitely not a deciding factor. The poll results and discussion were exceptionally helpful for getting to a list of finalists. Here were the ones that did not win, but deserve mention as they were all really good:

NameProtector.com - Available for $7000 from @NameJii
NameSeal.com - Available for $5000 from @domainer111
NameHealth.com -- Available for $2999 from @z4z4o
NameInspection.com - Available for $3500 from @NameYourself
VettedName.com, a fan favorite, is available for $1000 from @Etinosa.

These prices and handles are released with their permission in case a future project needs a domain name for a similar idea or is just looking for inspiration.

There was also Assurer.com from @Recons.Com available for an undisclosed price. I actually think this domain is still interesting for an insurance product specifically.

NameAssurance.com, NameAssured.com, NameCertify.com, NameNotary.com, NameSurety.com, VettedName.com were all bounty names. They were available for hand registration when I registered. The persons who suggested them first can now claim it for free since we did not select it and they made a leap of faith by suggesting the name. I think that model worked out really well for @Etinosa.

What tipped the balance for me with DNProtect.com is the opportunity to create what I have been calling a "DNP" score. Working with @bhartzer and @DomainGraduate we hope to create an industry standard for domain integrity scoring. Like a D&B or S&P bond rating -- the ability to determine an objectively and transparently derived score of a domain's integrity.

For anyone interested, I am happy to share details about the project as it unfolds. I do believe it will be helpful as an industry utility, similar to popular tools like NameBio, DomainPlex and Estibot. It will allow a quick diagnostic tool without having to check a bundle of tools that are not free or are not intuitive to an infrequent user.

Thanks again for a very helpful process and for the generous and thoughtful comments especially in the poll thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-for-name-protection-product-concept.1155658

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations Rob for choosing the right name that is suited for your project. DNProtect.com rocks.

•••
Congratulations Rob for choosing the right name that is suited for your project. DNProtect.com rocks.

@equity78 was pretty sure he had the winner. Although there were several great ones, this one fits the DNP scoring strategy very nicely. Overall, a good outcome with several other excellent names identified.

•••
Congratulations to @Rob Monster , @equity78 and everyone who participated. It was fun and a good learning experience as well.

Everyone in domaining would know DN and DNProtect is self-explanatory of the product. Works Well.

- Leopard

•••
Congratulations to @Rob Monster , @equity78 and everyone who participated. It was fun and a good learning experience as well.

Everyone in domaining would know DN and DNProtect is self-explanatory of the product. Works Well.

- Leopard

Thanks @Leopard -- Your input has been invaluable both in this process and generally. You are an industry treasure and a great asset to this community.

•••
Congrats, DNProtect is a very good choice for this project as described above when using DNP score. IMO

There were a lot of other good names in the contest too which should come in handy for similar projects. IMO

•••
•••
Congrats to the winner...of course it is one of the two I selected!!! :xf.smile:

•••
Good choice. Congratulations to Rob and the winner.

•••
Thank you Rob for running this poll, it really was a great contest, and good luck with the venture! NameSeal is still looking for a home.

Congratulations to the winner, I like the 'DNP' angle on this domain.

•••
Thank you Rob for running this poll, it really was a great contest, and good luck with the venture! NameSeal is still looking for a home.

Congratulations to the winner, I like the 'DNP' angle on this domain.

RobM is great in initiatives. I also love the 'DNP' coined out. I keep learning from him.

I support the reasoning that having the word 'domain' not 'name' as keyword is the best. Name for me is what anything is called, on the other hand Domain is precise. Any name is described with letters or words which makes it unique (a domain) to me.

Also the objective of this project is "protect your domain." If it's "protect your name" why can't my domain MakeCake.com for example be protected against plural names or hyphenated names (MakeCakes.com Make-Cake.com). I love Nameseal but for we domain investors better to see domainprotect than nameprotect.

Best pick!

•••
RobM is great in initiatives. I also love the 'DNP' coined out. I keep learning from him.

I support the reasoning that having the word 'domain' not 'name' as keyword is the best. Name for me is what anything is called, on the other hand Domain is precise. Any name is described with letters or words which makes it unique (a domain) to me.

Also the objective of this project is "protect your domain." If it's "protect your name" why can't my domain MakeCake.com for example be protected against plural names or hyphenated names (MakeCakes.com Make-Cake.com). I love Nameseal but for we domain investors better to see domainprotect than nameprotect.

Best pick!

Thanks Joshua.

The scenario you describe around locking up an extension would involve some combination of TMCH, and after-market operations -- much of which can be automated. Fair point for the future roadmap.

The immediate focus is on making a risk assessment of a single fully qualified 2nd level domains, e.g. Joshua.com.

•••
We have our winner:

DNProtect.com

Congratulations to @equity78. He is a great domainer and happens to be an Epik client though that was definitely not a deciding factor. The poll results and discussion were exceptionally helpful for getting to a list of finalists. Here were the ones that did not win, but deserve mention as they were all really good:

NameProtector.com - Available for $7000 from @NameJii
NameSeal.com - Available for $5000 from @domainer111
NameHealth.com -- Available for $2999 from @z4z4o
NameInspection.com - Available for $3500 from @NameYourself
VettedName.com, a fan favorite, is available for $1000 from @Etinosa.

These prices and handles are released with their permission in case a future project needs a domain name for a similar idea or is just looking for inspiration.

There was also Assurer.com from @Recons.Com available for an undisclosed price. I actually think this domain is still interesting for an insurance product specifically.

NameAssurance.com, NameAssured.com, NameCertify.com, NameNotary.com, NameSurety.com, VettedName.com were all bounty names. They were available for hand registration when I registered. The persons who suggested them first can now claim it for free since we did not select it and they made a leap of faith by suggesting the name. I think that model worked out really well for @Etinosa.

What tipped the balance for me with DNProtect.com is the opportunity to create what I have been calling a "DNP" score. Working with @bhartzer and @DomainGraduate we hope to create an industry standard for domain integrity scoring. Like a D&B or S&P bond rating -- the ability to determine an objectively and transparently derived score of a domain's integrity.

For anyone interested, I am happy to share details about the project as it unfolds. I do believe it will be helpful as an industry utility, similar to popular tools like NameBio, DomainPlex and Estibot. It will allow a quick diagnostic tool without having to check a bundle of tools that are not free or are not intuitive to an infrequent user.

Thanks again for a very helpful process and for the generous and thoughtful comments especially in the poll thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-for-name-protection-product-concept.115565

Congratulations @equity78 and best wishes for @Rob Monster and team. Thanks for all who voted for NameProtector.com, I appreciate your time and valuable vote. I m sure we will find a better home for NameProtector.com and other finalist names in the coming days.

Thanks.

•••
•••
@Sumeeth is now the owner of nameassurance.com. It was one of the domains that we hand-registered as a suggestion but did not buy, so the person who suggested it receives it as a gift. Win-win.

•••
•••
Congrats for the winner and all

•••
Congratulations @equity78

And great work @Rob Monster !!

My vote went to NameProtector as I thought it is more reachable than DN term...
But the DNP scoring is perfect match and obvious best choice for the project.

I think I missed this DNP scoring if it is mentioned in description...

All in all its a great project from start to end... I see people who suggested also got something from it.

Really Win-Win-Win results.

Good luck for the project.

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back