IT.COM

discuss My Thoughts as a Potential Buyer Going Through a Landing Page

NameSilo
Watch

likeslikes

Established Member
Impact
I'm not 100% sure where to put this, but I'd like to point this situation out from my perspective as a buyer.

I found a domain name that I wanted to purchase.
Now, being a domainer I realize they're looking for retail value and I'm unlikely to pay retail, but I was willing to pay more than I normally would for this particular domain name. So the domain name is on a lander. It is not listed on Afternic, Sedo, ect - just the lander. It said to get a quote I had to fill out the lander.

The lander that I filled out was 3 pages long and asked me for my email, to verify my email, if i had a backup email, my use for the domain name, if it was for business purposes, my phone number, and a bunch more. To me it seemed like overkill. It also asked me for the price I'm expecting to pay of course. So, I looked up the Estibot and saw it says $280 (I know I can't just solely go off of estibot), and then I went to NameBio and looked up what some good comps which had almost all sold for around $300-750. So, I made an initial offer of $500.

The email response I got back said the following:

We received your quote request for ***********.com. Unfortunately, you
indicated a low budget and our quote for the single payment option will be
higher than that. If you're still interested, send us a reply and we'll continue to process
your quote request.

So from my buyers perspective here - I've filled out a 3 page lander which asked for a lot of info, given an initial offer about double the Estibot valuation and right in the middle of the NameBio similar sales range and they cannot even provide me a quote or counter offer? The page literally stated that I had to fill out the information (which I did) to receive a quote. They can't even tell me their asking price? The top available domain in this niche has a BIN of $3,288 to put this in more perspective, so I can't see it realistically being valued at more than $2,000 or so by the seller.

At this point I'm feeling like it's a hassle and that I'll just move onto another name. There are alternatives out there like the name for $3,288 which is looking much better now. I can imagine many other potential buyers would feel the same way after this initial process, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others here.

How much info are you asking for from perspective buyers?
Would you at least counter someone's initial offer of $500 on a name that's realistically worth at most 2k? (I realize they could value it even higher)

Would love to hear some thoughts here as this isn't really adding up to me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My takeaway from this is to never even make an offer for such a long-winded offer form. Domain, Price, eMail, should be all they need.

•••
I wonder what software they’re using that auto follows up with you to ask that you fill out the form completely. What is the URL?

This types of software is called "marketing automation". But typically it was used for shopping carts, not for contact forms.

This is what I called a "rabbit hole" problem:

Because the contact form was too long, many people didn't finish the forms.
-- so a "reminder" email was send out to encourage completing the forms.
But often the email addresses were not entered correctly,
-- so a "confirmation field" was added to confirm a valid email was entered.
After "fixing" all the "issues",
-- the contact form became 3 pages long and annoyed a lot of people.

The root of the problem was the long contact form. So shorten the form would fix ALL of the issues.

•••
Realistically worth at most $2k? What does that even mean? The prices of domains are always completely subjective. You could offer somebody $1b for a domain, and if the owner is still unwilling to sell, that domain must be worth more than $1b to the current owner.

Now to answer your question, the best approach in my opinion is to create as little friction in the buying process as possible. Hence all I ask for is a name, an email, and an offer price.

Sorry for the delayed response here.
When I said realistically worth at most 2k I was basing that on a number of things such as better domains with BIN prices in the 2.5k-3k range, previous sale prices of similar domains, ect.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back