Dynadot

.com My third $xx,xxx sale of 2018

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I completed another, third, 5 figure sale of the year.

The sale price from inbound inquiry was $12,500 paid in bitcoin. After CoinBase fees, net around $12,350

Original asking price $19,000. Starting offer $5,000.

After initial email enquiry, I made a phone call to the number provided. Made sure it was less than 24 hours from the inquiry to the call.

We had a nice conversation for an hour, but price negotiation was over the email. In all, from the receipt of the email to receiving cash in my account - less than 48 hours.

No escrow was used. We carried out the payment and name transfer "live" over the phone. He paid 50% of the amount, I moved the name, he paid the second installment.

The new owner is an amazing guy with brilliant ideas and feels good to know that the name will be put to a great use.

I will reveal the name later today :)

Sincerely,

El

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hold this for 8 years?

You deserve the sale

Thank you ))

There are names you believe in and especially see a use of your own. Then holding is not a problem. I happen to have another alternative for future gold project in qold.com, although NM was a better fit to the idea.

•••
Congratulation really happy for you.. Sold 1 domain and made 6 figures jeez... Pardon my mood just surprise cause, am new to Domaining. Recently bought a domain its two words dictionary name

CreateHologram dot com haven't been able to sell it. Even listed it on afternic ... Beginning to feel the keywords is not rich enough... Any help pls?

Phranq,

Recons is correct. Not a good choice of two words. Just having two words is not enough. They have to make sense.

Try this exercise to help teach yourself about domain names that sell to large corporations for top dollar:

1. Go to Jamie Zoch's website at DotWeekly dot com

2. Read through every post he has ever written under the "Domain Movers" banner

3. As you read each post, type into a spreadsheet the names of each .com domain name that a large corporation bought for a new business, product name, or other new brand name (i.e., not any domain name that already includes their existing brand name in the domain name like Amazon does a lot of -- those are simply 'brand protection' registrations to protect their trademarks, which you want to avoid like the plague)

4. Read through your long list of domain names you typed into your spreadsheet and start to cust and paste them into categories, like LL.com, LLL.com, One Word .com, Two Word .com, Three Word .com, Made Up Word .com, etc.

5. Identify the patterns of the kinds of .com domain names that large corporations buy, as reported by DotWeekly

6. Once you see the patterns, start to watch drop auctions at GoDaddy.com, NameJet.com, SnapNames.com, and DropCatch.com BUT RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BUY ANY DOMAIN NAMES FOR 30 DAYS; only watch, do not buy for a full 30 days; make sure the auctions are drop auctions, not some other domainer just listing his or her domain names with reserve prices

7. Start to notice how much the domain names with the patterns you identified sell for at the drop auctions; these are the wholesale prices those kinds of patterns go for

8. Determine if you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, or not

9. If you cannot, it might be best for you to exit domain name investing – the best names are typically on the drop auctions; the best names get bid up to healthy wholesale prices; you need the best names with the right patterns to one day ultimately sell for a retail price to an end user that is a large corporation with deep pockets and a general indifference to paying upwards of $XX,XXX to $XXX,XXX for a .com domain name; if you cannot afford to play the game, it may be best for you financially to not enter the game at all; or, find a different, lower cost strategy within domain investment (e.g., picking up $9 bargain names and flipping them for $250 to $350 a piece, a la Josh Eisenhower at DSAD.com)

10. If you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, welcome to the game! :)

Lastly, remember that there are a little less than 150,000,000 or so .com domain names in existence. Keep in mind that less than 1% are .com domain names that a large corporation would ever want to buy from anyone else to use in their businesses. That means only 1,500,000 .com domain names are "investment grade" domain names. That's a relatively small amount. All the rest are .com domain names that are simply not marketable to large corporations, no matter how much the domainers who own them believe otherwise. You want to ignore those 99% domain names and resist the temptation to register them or bid on them at auctions (don't worry, we all fail or have failed at the resistance). If you follow all of the above instructions and understand what you uncover from having done the exercise, you'll be in a much better place as a domain investor. Possibly a lot richer to boot.

•••
•••
Phranq,

Recons is correct. Not a good choice of two words. Just having two words is not enough. They have to make sense.

Try this exercise to help teach yourself about domain names that sell to large corporations for top dollar:

1. Go to Jamie Zoch's website at DotWeekly dot com

2. Read through every post he has ever written under the "Domain Movers" banner

3. As you read each post, type into a spreadsheet the names of each .com domain name that a large corporation bought for a new business, product name, or other new brand name (i.e., not any domain name that already includes their existing brand name in the domain name like Amazon does a lot of -- those are simply 'brand protection' registrations to protect their trademarks, which you want to avoid like the plague)

4. Read through your long list of domain names you typed into your spreadsheet and start to cust and paste them into categories, like LL.com, LLL.com, One Word .com, Two Word .com, Three Word .com, Made Up Word .com, etc.

5. Identify the patterns of the kinds of .com domain names that large corporations buy, as reported by DotWeekly

6. Once you see the patterns, start to watch drop auctions at GoDaddy.com, NameJet.com, SnapNames.com, and DropCatch.com BUT RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BUY ANY DOMAIN NAMES FOR 30 DAYS; only watch, do not buy for a full 30 days; make sure the auctions are drop auctions, not some other domainer just listing his or her domain names with reserve prices

7. Start to notice how much the domain names with the patterns you identified sell for at the drop auctions; these are the wholesale prices those kinds of patterns go for

8. Determine if you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, or not

9. If you cannot, it might be best for you to exit domain name investing – the best names are typically on the drop auctions; the best names get bid up to healthy wholesale prices; you need the best names with the right patterns to one day ultimately sell for a retail price to an end user that is a large corporation with deep pockets and a general indifference to paying upwards of $XX,XXX to $XXX,XXX for a .com domain name; if you cannot afford to play the game, it may be best for you financially to not enter the game at all; or, find a different, lower cost strategy within domain investment (e.g., picking up $9 bargain names and flipping them for $250 to $350 a piece, a la Josh Eisenhower at DSAD.com)

10. If you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, welcome to the game! :)

Lastly, remember that there are a little less than 150,000,000 or so .com domain names in existence. Keep in mind that less than 1% are .com domain names that a large corporation would ever want to buy from anyone else to use in their businesses. That means only 1,500,000 .com domain names are "investment grade" domain names. That's a relatively small amount. All the rest are .com domain names that are simply not marketable to large corporations, no matter how much the domainers who own them believe otherwise. You want to ignore those 99% domain names and resist the temptation to register them or bid on them at auctions (don't worry, we all fail or have failed at the resistance). If you follow all of the above instructions and understand what you uncover from having done the exercise, you'll be in a much better place as a domain investor. Possibly a lot richer to boot.

Thank you!

Very valuable write-up!

•••
Congratulations my friend......
U got great portfolio of 4L.com......
I bought a 4L.com from u few months back...Got good no of offers...
Best of luck

Thank you! Best of luck to you too )

•••
Got to love a first quarter like that! Congrats and keep it up!

•••
•••
Congratulation really happy for you.. Sold 1 domain and made 6 figures jeez... Pardon my mood just surprise cause, am new to Domaining. Recently bought a domain its two words dictionary name

CreateHologram dot com haven't been able to sell it. Even listed it on afternic ... Beginning to feel the keywords is not rich enough... Any help pls?
You cannot expect an awkward sounding name to sell as easily as an established market term, plus you are talking about a tech that is not common yet. Future tech can be a long hold.

•••
Congrats man, that's a humongous number.

•••
•••
Amazing! Congrats, and thank you for sharing!

•••
Congrats on your nice start for 2018 @Recons.Com !
Keep them coming and enjoy your journey!

Looks like you have an awesome journey ahead you this year
and many good stories to share and to remember. :) ;)

•••
Damn!! It means CreateHologram dot com wouldn't sell??

Domains are not about being "keyword" reach. It is about the keywords making sense and and anticipating that a company would want to start a business under that name proudly.

In your example, there are probably very few companies that create holograms and even then they wouldn't call themselves "Create Hologram".

Samsung is called Samsung and not CreateTV or CreateSmartphone.

•••
Damn!! It means CreateHologram dot com wouldn't sell??

Did not say that. And, of course, I wish you a great sale with it. When I look through the sold names list, I can explain/understand less than half of them )) But, probability of selling names that meet certain criteria are certainly higher.

Btw, check NameBio for what names sold with create+word pattern.

•••
Thanks I think I"ll cancel the domain name

•••
Thanks I think I"ll cancel the domain name
Don't get discouraged so fast. You can easily flip that name for 10x your reg. price. One man's meat is another ones poison. Always remember that. That name is not too bad,I have seen worse, I have registered worse. I do agree with recons on his point, but before totally giving up on your name, try a few outbound emails, list it on auction somewhere or even here on NP, hold it for a while. You already made the investment so it won't cost you anything to hold on for another year and drop it if it doesn't sell. Either way you're gonna use the refund to reg another name that may or may not sell either. Good luck!

•••
About the outbound mail how do I find them? Can you help me out.

Don't get discouraged so fast. You can easily flip that name for 10x your reg. price. One man's meat is another ones poison. Always remember that. That name is not too bad,I have seen worse, I have registered worse. I do agree with recons on his point, but before totally giving up on your name, try a few outbound emails, list it on auction somewhere or even here on NP, hold it for a while. You already made the investment so it won't cost you anything to hold on for another year and drop it if it doesn't sell. Either way you're gonna use the refund to reg another name that may or may not sell either. Good luck!

•••
About the outbound mail how do I find them? Can you help me out.
Start with Google. Look for companies/businesses/bloggers/anyone in that niche. Find their contacts and try to get in touch.

•••
HeHe, I wish I had some of all this money that people leave

Don't worry, you're just ahead of your time. Consumers cannot create holograms yet, if there is ever a program or software for it you will have killer domain. Patience (and unfortunately renewal fees) is a virtue for this one. (y)

@Recons.Com - you are consistent and I enjoy reading about your dealings. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
@Recons.Com as newbie into this Domaining business. To get myself more experience do you have any written eBook of yours? Since you are an advanced pro... EBook that will help me notice the pro and Con. Domains to avoid and buy...pls

•••
@Recons.Com as newbie into this Domaining business. To get myself more experience do you have any written eBook of yours? Since you are an advanced pro... EBook that will help me notice the pro and Con. Domains to avoid and buy...pls

Phranq, I will eventually do e-books on various subjects. NamePros in itself is a good source of info.

But if I were to give you few tips to save you costs of learning curve, here they are:

1. Focus on .com. People do make money on other niches, but they might have specific knowledge, leverage, connections, experience to make it work

2. Pay attention how profitable companies and funded startups name themselves and what domains they own. This will give you a sense of not just what sounds as a nice domain, but what makes a good name for a business. Think as a business. Would you name your company with something like that? How would you explain it? How would you communicate it?

3. Always spell out loudly the name you are about to buy or like. Visual and sound should go hand in hand.

4. Research the name. The more generic the name and more companies use the word or word combo as part of their domain/brand, the more chances it will sell.

5. Always add your names with BIN (buy-it-now) prices to Sedo, Afternic, even if you don't forward to them (you can use your own landers or Efty marketplace etc.). This will increase your chances of sale

6. Don't use Estibot for automatic valuations or similar. They can be misleading. They tend to considerably overvalue typos, but might not recognize value in a nice short pronounceable or word combo etc.

7. Look through Namebio what sells and for how much regularly. Try to understand and develop gut feeling why and what sells. If you don't understand why, then don't go into that niche. Follow only the ones which makes sense to you and you can figure out the pattern.

•••
Thanks for your sharing, very inspiring indeed.

•••
Phranq, I will eventually do e-books on various subjects. NamePros in itself is a good source of info.

But if I were to give you few tips to save you costs of learning curve, here they are:

1. Focus on .com. People do make money on other niches, but they might have specific knowledge, leverage, connections, experience to make it work

2. Pay attention how profitable companies and funded startups name themselves and what domains they own. This will give you a sense of not just what sounds as a nice domain, but what makes a good name for a business. Think as a business. Would you name your company with something like that? How would you explain it? How would you communicate it?

3. Always spell out loudly the name you are about to buy or like. Visual and sound should go hand in hand.

4. Research the name. The more generic the name and more companies use the word or word combo as part of their domain/brand, the more chances it will sell.

5. Always add your names with BIN (buy-it-now) prices to Sedo, Afternic, even if you don't forward to them (you can use your own landers or Efty marketplace etc.). This will increase your chances of sale

6. Don't use Estibot for automatic valuations or similar. They can be misleading. They tend to considerably overvalue typos, but might not recognize value in a nice short pronounceable or word combo etc.

7. Look through Namebio what sells and for how much regularly. Try to understand and develop gut feeling why and what sells. If you don't understand why, then don't go into that niche. Follow only the ones which makes sense to you and you can figure out the pattern.

I would also add, that alwasy use fast transfer networks. SEDO MLS or Afternic FAST transfer. Always use registrar that offers this options. They geenarate the most end-user leads.

•••

Recons.com,

I feel you forgot to tell the newbie here the most important risk to avoid -- cybersquatting!

Always, always, always check USPTO.gov as well as trademark registries of other major countries around the world to ensure no company has a registered trademark on the keyword(s) in the domain name you are considering buying. If there is a company with a registered trademark that matches a keyword in the domain name (e.g., PepsiCoin.com or CryptoWalMart.com or GoogleWallet.com), strongly consider taking a pass on the domain name.

The risk? You spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars buying the domain name only to have the company file a UDRP or, worse, a federal lawsuit against you for cybersquatting on a domain name containing the company's registered trademark. If the company wins the dispute, you lose 1) the money you invested in the name, 2) the domain name, and 3) potentially your online reputation as Google indexes and ranks the UDRP or lawsuit documents showing that you were deemed to be a cybersquatter. It gets worse: the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) of 1999 also allows Federal judges to impose a $100,000 penalty for cybersquatting. How's that for an added kick in the teeth?

In short, avoid registered trademarks like the plague!

Check the trademark registries before you buy any domain name, even seemingly generic ones (e.g., Blockchain and Ethereum are both registered trademarks!). Doing so helps you mitigate risks of significant capital loss from your investment in domain names by giving you more information to consider as you make your investment decision to buy or not to buy each domain name.

•••
The Reveal:

The sold name is a dictionary word dot com. Please don't type the name, as I don't want it indexed.

N/o/b/l/e M/e/t/a/l

It is a collective term for most valuable metals.

"a metal (e.g., gold, silver, or platinum) that resists chemical action, does not corrode, and is not easily attacked by acids."

It is a 20 year old name and I have owned it for around 8 years.

Interestingly, the name was rejected by BrandBucket and BrandRoot.

I suspect they simply did not know the term and thought it is a creative brandable? This is what happens when you skip your Chemistry classes )

There are tens of companies around the world using the term as part of their name. Mostly in gold/platinum services and trade, but there is even a theater in Finland with that name.

Show attachment 81116
Great sale! But why does Namebio.com not show this transaction? Thank you

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back