Dynadot

question My registrar has sent my domain to auction so early

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OceanKing

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

one of my expired domain is in auction just after 45 days of expiry. They have removed the domain from my account and seems not providing a redemption option.

i feel this is so early and atlest they could allow another 15 days to redemption. What do you say folks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
sav

Last edited:
•••
45 days after seems late. Many registrars put domains to auction already after 30 days.

Nevertheless, they can't give you any more time because they need to submit the domain to deletion at the latest 45 days after expiry. If they do that, it can't be auctioned off anymore and it can only be restored by the original owner. 45 days is thus hard limit for auctioning expires domains.

If you don't like the registrar auctioning your expired domains, change your registrar to one that does not do this. Unfortunately, the yearly fees are then also higher at such registrars as they don't earn anything off auctions and need to get income through other ways.

•••
45 days is early? In most registries your domain would not exist any more...

gtld-lifecycle.jpg

•••
Sav is pretty similar to other domain registrars. Here is their policy, quoted from their blog.

"When a domain registered at Sav expires, the user has a 30 day Auto-Renew Grace Period during which they are free to renew their domain.
Once that 30 day period is over, the domain is listed in a 10 day Exclusive Expiring Auction. On day 40, if the domain did not sell at auction, it will be deleted from Sav and returned to its registry."

•••
If it is currently at auction you can buy it there

•••
Best to try renew before 30 days expiration to be safe next time.

•••
usually, sav put the domain into the auction in 31st day past expiration date

•••
I'm amazed at how many people let their names expire on the chance that, even if they do act in time, everything will work flawlessly at the last minute.

•••
Agreed, the money or time save is not worth the trouble of possibly losing a domain you want to keep.

•••
Sav is pretty similar to other domain registrars. Here is their policy, quoted from their blog.

"When a domain registered at Sav expires, the user has a 30 day Auto-Renew Grace Period during which they are free to renew their domain.
Once that 30 day period is over, the domain is listed in a 10 day Exclusive Expiring Auction. On day 40, if the domain did not sell at auction, it will be deleted from Sav and returned to its registry."
So does that mean there never is any Redemption Grace Period at Sav?

•••

There is but only if no-one bids on the domain in auction.

•••
On day 40, if the domain did not sell at auction, it will be deleted from Sav and returned to its registry

•••
In redemption the domain has been returned to the registry. If the domain name has not been bought in auction (or closeouts) and has gone to the registry, then you could get it in redemption. But as per the ToS I quoted above, once the name is sent to auction you have no guarantee you will ever be able to get it.

At Sav, you have 30 days after the period that you paid for in order to renew the name. After that it goes to auction. If no one takes it in the 10 days of auction, it goes back to registry. They hold it during the Redemption Grace Period, and then it becomes available to anyone. But if someone bought it at auction, none of this is relevant.

•••
In redemption the domain has been returned to the registry. If the domain name has not been bought in auction (or closeouts) and has gone to the registry, then you could get it in redemption. But as per the ToS I quoted above, once the name is sent to auction you have no guarantee you will ever be able to get it.

At Sav, you have 30 days after the period that you paid for in order to renew the name. After that it goes to auction. If no one takes it in the 10 days of auction, it goes back to registry. They hold it during the Redemption Grace Period, and then it becomes available to anyone. But if someone bought it at auction, none of this is relevant.
Thanks for the clarification.
Since registrar's list their RGP price(s), I thought a domain stayed at the registrar until the RGP period expired, assuming domain hadn't been sold previously (ie expiration auction / BIN). So learned something new today!!! Thanks again

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back