Dynadot

analysis My journey with .xyz domains and the story of Swetha: A perspective on domain investing

NameSilo
Watch
I find the Swetha bullying situation to be annoying, and I would like to offer my perspective on the matter based on my own experience and critical thinking. My journey into domaining started in late 2017 with a small budget focused solely on CCTLD domains and .co promotions. I spent a considerable amount of time reading NamePros to learn and find my way into domain investing.

In December 2018, I came across a thread on NamePros sales report where Swetha, also known as @DNGear, was selling a few single-word domains and strong two-keyword domains for a range between mid three figures to low four figures. At that time, I wasn't interested in her sales, as I was making good money in promotions and CCTLDs. However, after a few .xyz reports, I decided to explore it as I liked the extension. After conducting a quick analysis, I discovered that the XYZ registry had removed the premium renewal/registration price from all newly dropped domains, indicating a great opportunity.

The reasons many domain investors abandoned .xyz domains were evident at that time. It was a new extension with less trust from end-users. The registry had greedy premium prices, and the initial Chinese .xyz auctions had potential scam sales, which sold for mid five figures to six figures at West.cn to generate hype in 2015. At the same time, single-word premium domains sold for three figures at NameJet and Flippa. The one cent promotion gave the extension a reputation for spam and scam. Most importantly, there was a low return for investors as there was less interest in buying a single .xyz domain and selling it for three figures or low four figures.

If you track the sales reports at that time, Swetha was selling domains like Arabi.xyz for 795 GBP, Humans.xyz for 1750 USD, Zeni.xyz for 1200 USD, Rethink.xyz for 1000 USD, and many more. For most investors, these were low sale amounts that were not worth the effort, and could be duplicated in other popular extensions with less effort. However, I saw an opportunity to sell at a volume similar to promo registrations. Additionally, the .xyz registry was offering 0.99 registration promos, making the risk low compared to potential rewards.

When I noticed the first sign of removed premium renewal/registration price at the registry, I began my research and discovered that many nice one-word .xyz domains and strong two-word domains were dropping every day, and the only catchers at the time were West.xyz and Dynadot. After additional research using whois, I found that 90% of drops went to DomainNameGear, aka Swetha.

I started using west.xyz to backorder .xyz domains, but Swetha always outbid me, and I didn't have the budget at the time to keep up with her at auctions. To be fair, I think it was me and a few Chinese investors bidding at west.xyz. I lost domains like phase, swarm, dairy, and stork, but I won domains like hometown, bookings, homecare, and blueberry.

On the other hand, I shifted my focus to catching .xyz domains at Dynadot using PC catching software, and to my surprise, I started catching some nice domains like profession and many more. I think at this time, Swetha stopped sharing sales to calm the competition.

Here is where I made my mistake. I completed dental college and started my internship and decided to prioritize my time to focus on my internship, which led me to completely abandon catching .xyz domains and focus on my domaining core business in my free time. After completing my internship, I had to join the army, and unfortunately, my brother forgot to renew my Dynadot domains, causing me to lose a couple of my premium .xyz domains. It was a frustrating and costly mistake, but it taught me a valuable lesson about the importance of managing my domain portfolio properly.

I'm sharing this backstory to provide context to the success story of a fellow domain investor who had an extraordinary run with .xyz domains. While she was certainly fortunate, her success resulted from her strong belief in the extension's value, as well as her strategic thinking and ability to develop a formula to scale her portfolio with high quality and low registration costs. She also focused on selling cheap to improve the .xyz poor STR at the time. Gradually, when web3/NFT/crypto booms emerged, she was already well positioned with thousands of premium .xyz domains.

However, it's worth noting that comparing .xyz to .com domains is somewhat absurd. For example, Green.com has the potential to be sold for 7 to 8 figures, while Green.xyz, Green.io, Green.co, and Green.de may have the potential to be sold for six figures. Hypothetically, if a single one-word .xyz domain were to sell for six figures, it still wouldn't necessarily exceed .com in sales. Therefore, making predictions about the future dominance of any well-established extension is simply fictitious.

In conclusion, I wanted to share this story to emphasize the importance of strategic thinking and the ability to adapt to changing market trends in the domain investing community. And now, it's time for me to rest. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Stop it already. ITS A SCAM ! It is really strange that domainers are buying this swetha xyz fantasy. Domainers should know what domains worth.
A financial or other pyramid works for those who came there first, but it is still a pyramid, and it doesn't mean all these domains are worth something.
More sold domain reports = more naive domainers "invest" in buying .xyz domains for XXX or XXXX, hoping one day to sell them for millions.

•••
capital.xyz been build
one more startup... nothing stand out, I mean never any respectful well known organization will operate on the .xyz site

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
This is a well-thought-out article and an interesting read!

•••
For the future, a good .xyz is a gem.

It has come far; and you know how it works:
Person A, B, C say that it is associated with web3 -
so it will be associated with web3.

No matter what x, y, z say :sneaky:

Thx

•••
For the future, a good .xyz is a gem.

It has come far; and you know how it works:
Person A, B, C say that it is associated with web3 -
so it will be associated with web3.

No matter what x, y, z say :sneaky:

Thx
Google registered .xyz so what?
Do you remember a few years ago Musk posted the word "Dogecoin" and what happened after his tweet? And how much does Dogecoin cost today?
This is called hype.
I remember here a domainer called the "King of Tops" buying .top domains and making predictions about the big future of .top domains.
Somebody started the hype with .xyz, maybe @swetha, maybe somebody else, it doesn't matter now, but look around, how many of you are now searching and registering the .xyz domain?
@swetha is only one of the domainers who choose the extension and started registering all the best keywords, the same tactics used or still using the "King of Tops". But it doesn't mean this tactics will bring you all big money. This is just a question of luck. 4 years ago I had no money even for the subway and used to jump over the control barrier, and then one of my sites started increasing its DA and traffic and bringing me from 8k to 13k euros monthly. February 2019 I had debts and today, 4 years later I have more than 350k euros. Butt doesn't mean all sites can bring thousands from one day to another. This is the question of luck.
The same with domains, this is just a question of luck and there is no guarantee you will be the person who will get the jackpot.
Now 1-word, 2 words, and even 3 words .xyz domains are everywhere on sale and you register and buy them, involved in the hype like numeric domain hype was.
Good 1-word domains usually are sold in all extensions, but who buys them? Domainers like you, hoping to see them for a big money. They are hoping and hoping and then drop them one day, and at the same instance another one catches them starting the same nonsense journey to a big money dream.
All of you who support and advise buying and keeping the .xyz domains, how many .xyz domains do you have? How many of them did you sell? How many of them are the best 1-word domains?
Google registered .xyz so what? I continue registering a few domains just because I don't want somebody else to reg them, but I never will use them for my business. But I can spend on a few domains yearly, this is not a big deal. The same with Google. This is not a big deal for them to keep a bunch of related domains. But it doesn't mean they will one day move all their business on them.
Where is google.xyz? Where is bing.xyz? Facebook.xyz?
Do you seriously think the .xyz domain will cost more than .org, .net, .biz, .info, etc? All these extensions do have meanings. But what does mean .xyz? The Google's quirk or an intentional try to create hype around the dead extension?
The only .xyz domain which is sold and will be sold, are 1-word domains with the most demanded keywords, none of your 2 and 3-word domains will be sold.
The same happens with all extensions. And let's recognize mostly these 1-word domain owners are domainers waiting to sell them for big money, but there are no buyers.
Ok, maybe you will be lucky and some newbie or dreaming domainer will buy it, and after that sale, a lot of you will run to buy or reg .xyz keeping this bubble alive.

•••
@jackdomainer

We don't have problem with scepticism. Actually we will respect you for it if:
1- You provide strong evidence and undeniable facts.
2- You dont attack other people! and make things personal.

The problem is that your arguments here and at Twitter are very weak.. you are trying to look smart but sorry you are not very smart .. and you are making a 🤡 of yourself here and ppl will laugh at you instead of taking you seriously.

Attacking people is not respectful behavior and you will be very unpopular here for that... enjoy the negative impact points.

100 agree. His dialog is not real debate. It's a type of trolling called Sealioning and just looks desparate.

•••
Back