IT.COM

analysis My journey with .xyz domains and the story of Swetha: A perspective on domain investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I find the Swetha bullying situation to be annoying, and I would like to offer my perspective on the matter based on my own experience and critical thinking. My journey into domaining started in late 2017 with a small budget focused solely on CCTLD domains and .co promotions. I spent a considerable amount of time reading NamePros to learn and find my way into domain investing.

In December 2018, I came across a thread on NamePros sales report where Swetha, also known as @DNGear, was selling a few single-word domains and strong two-keyword domains for a range between mid three figures to low four figures. At that time, I wasn't interested in her sales, as I was making good money in promotions and CCTLDs. However, after a few .xyz reports, I decided to explore it as I liked the extension. After conducting a quick analysis, I discovered that the XYZ registry had removed the premium renewal/registration price from all newly dropped domains, indicating a great opportunity.

The reasons many domain investors abandoned .xyz domains were evident at that time. It was a new extension with less trust from end-users. The registry had greedy premium prices, and the initial Chinese .xyz auctions had potential scam sales, which sold for mid five figures to six figures at West.cn to generate hype in 2015. At the same time, single-word premium domains sold for three figures at NameJet and Flippa. The one cent promotion gave the extension a reputation for spam and scam. Most importantly, there was a low return for investors as there was less interest in buying a single .xyz domain and selling it for three figures or low four figures.

If you track the sales reports at that time, Swetha was selling domains like Arabi.xyz for 795 GBP, Humans.xyz for 1750 USD, Zeni.xyz for 1200 USD, Rethink.xyz for 1000 USD, and many more. For most investors, these were low sale amounts that were not worth the effort, and could be duplicated in other popular extensions with less effort. However, I saw an opportunity to sell at a volume similar to promo registrations. Additionally, the .xyz registry was offering 0.99 registration promos, making the risk low compared to potential rewards.

When I noticed the first sign of removed premium renewal/registration price at the registry, I began my research and discovered that many nice one-word .xyz domains and strong two-word domains were dropping every day, and the only catchers at the time were West.xyz and Dynadot. After additional research using whois, I found that 90% of drops went to DomainNameGear, aka Swetha.

I started using west.xyz to backorder .xyz domains, but Swetha always outbid me, and I didn't have the budget at the time to keep up with her at auctions. To be fair, I think it was me and a few Chinese investors bidding at west.xyz. I lost domains like phase, swarm, dairy, and stork, but I won domains like hometown, bookings, homecare, and blueberry.

On the other hand, I shifted my focus to catching .xyz domains at Dynadot using PC catching software, and to my surprise, I started catching some nice domains like profession and many more. I think at this time, Swetha stopped sharing sales to calm the competition.

Here is where I made my mistake. I completed dental college and started my internship and decided to prioritize my time to focus on my internship, which led me to completely abandon catching .xyz domains and focus on my domaining core business in my free time. After completing my internship, I had to join the army, and unfortunately, my brother forgot to renew my Dynadot domains, causing me to lose a couple of my premium .xyz domains. It was a frustrating and costly mistake, but it taught me a valuable lesson about the importance of managing my domain portfolio properly.

I'm sharing this backstory to provide context to the success story of a fellow domain investor who had an extraordinary run with .xyz domains. While she was certainly fortunate, her success resulted from her strong belief in the extension's value, as well as her strategic thinking and ability to develop a formula to scale her portfolio with high quality and low registration costs. She also focused on selling cheap to improve the .xyz poor STR at the time. Gradually, when web3/NFT/crypto booms emerged, she was already well positioned with thousands of premium .xyz domains.

However, it's worth noting that comparing .xyz to .com domains is somewhat absurd. For example, Green.com has the potential to be sold for 7 to 8 figures, while Green.xyz, Green.io, Green.co, and Green.de may have the potential to be sold for six figures. Hypothetically, if a single one-word .xyz domain were to sell for six figures, it still wouldn't necessarily exceed .com in sales. Therefore, making predictions about the future dominance of any well-established extension is simply fictitious.

In conclusion, I wanted to share this story to emphasize the importance of strategic thinking and the ability to adapt to changing market trends in the domain investing community. And now, it's time for me to rest. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Also as a disclaimer, I only hold 3 .xyz domains in my portfolio at west.xyz and the majority of my 14k domains are in CCTLDs and.com and a couple of legacy extensions so I'm not emotionally attached to .xyz extension.

•••
•••
Meslam is the only one who dare to tell the truth

•••
I didn't realise there was a "bullying situation". Please elaborate...

You didn't "make a mistake" by not risking tonnes of cash by investing in an ailing extension. You could do the same now with other extensions and find that it's a road to nowhere.

Those who are of the same view as you ignore the overall sentiment from the community and pretend that everyone's out to get her. It's boring at this point.

Questions != bullying
Not believing in .xyz != bullying
Not believing something != bullying

Last edited:
•••
I didn't realise there was a "bullying situation". Please elaborate...
It is happening, especially on Twitter.

You didn't "make a mistake" by not risking tonnes of cash by investing in an ailing extension. You could do the same now with other extensions and find that it's a road to nowhere.
I disagree, If I had invested in, let's say, 1000 single words and strong two-keyword .xyz domains back in 2018 and 2019, I would have made ten times the revenue I'm currently generating. The same applies to .co, .io, and many other extensions. At certain times in history, there were opportunities that many of us ignored.

Those who are of the same view as you ignore the overall sentiment from the community and pretend that everyone's out to get her. It's boring at this point.
Questions != bullying
Not believing in .xyz != bullying
Not believing something != bullying
Everyone has the right to be skeptical, but some people focus on personal insults and ignore all the facts. Additionally, I would like to add that there was a crazy hype about .xyz that led many inexperienced domainers to buy hundreds of low-quality .xyz domains, thinking they could easily sell them. Experienced domainers warned about this, and I agree with them 100%. It only benefitted the registry, but the market has started to correct itself, and you would notice that the total number of .xyz registrations has started to drop.

Last edited:
•••
It is happening, especially on Twitter.

I disagree, If I had invested in, let's say, 1000 single words and strong two-keyword .xyz domains back in 2018 and 2019, I would have made ten times the revenue I'm currently generating. The same applies to .co, .io, and many other extensions. At certain times in history, there were opportunities that many of us ignored.

Everyone has the right to be skeptical, but some people focus on personal insults and ignore all the facts. Additionally, I would like to add that there was a crazy hype about .xyz that led many inexperienced domainers to buy hundreds of low-quality .xyz domains, thinking they could easily sell them. Experienced domainers warned about this, and I agree with them 100%. It only benefitted the registry, but the market has started to correct itself, and you would notice that the total number of .xyz registrations has started to drop.
I appreciate your response. I haven't seen Twitter, but I haven't seen anything particularly egregious on NPs.

You could still invest in 1000 .xyz names, they're not going for that much at auction, but not at prem reg fee I'm assuming you mean. That I agree.

She had a sharp eye for collecting good non prem names in .xyz, of that I am sure and cannot be denied.

Last edited:
•••
Looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck!

What i see here is an extensive and well elaborated narrative in favor of Swetha and .xyz
By how this post was redacted is easy to spot that the one is writing it have profesional writing skills like an experienced blogger.
This user Meslam479 goes by the same handle at twitter.
What i found was very strange FACTS and "coincidences".

1) I found this post through the Twitter account who shared it : @ EmbraceXYZ
(BELONG TO ELLIOT SILVER from DomainInvesting .com, he also owns embrace .xyz and embrace .com)
Tweet: /EmbraceXYZ/status/1626734516931858433?s=20

2) When i check Meslam479 twitter account i found very sttrange that he was inactive for many years (his account was created in 2013, we all know is very easy to purchase old twitter accounts)
but only recently he posted from june 2022 a total 5 tweets related to domains.
But his last tweet was a thread (his only thread, a thread about swetha and xyz) were he wrote the same things in this Namepros post.
In Fact, in this Swetha xyz thread, he wrote more than what we wrote in 10 years combined.
acct is from 2013
2014- 1 retweet
2015 no activity
2016 no activity
2017 no activity
2018-2 RT +1 tweet of 4 words
2019-1 RT 2020 no activity
2021-1 RT
2022 from june 5 tweets about domains
2023 Swetha xyz thread of 25 tweets!

3) he said he is a domainer from 2017, so i asked why only now he wake up on twitter, he answered:
"I just started giving attention to Twitter after noticing a lot of veteran domainers using it. Yes, I have over 10k domains and started in late 2017, but did not make profits till 2018 and went full-time in domaining last year. I'm not really into writing threads."
Tweet: /meslam479/status/1627445544799899649?s=20

4) He claim his native language is arabic and he lives in Egypt.
I told him:
"Your English writing skills are impresive, just like a professional journalist. I have many friends that their native language is Arabic, would you acept to make a video call with them in arabic?"

So @ meslam479 answered:
"One trick is to use ChatGPT to fix any grammar errors. :) I'm not sure if I need to prove anything, but if you do some digging, I'm sure you will find a lot of information about me."
(chat gpt is trending so is the best excuse, the thing is that in this post is not only grammar but the hability to present a story.)
Since he didnt answered i asked again.
He answered:
"If he is a domainer from Egypt or any Arab country, I am happy to engage with him and become friends. Other than that, I do not see the need to engage with one of your colleagues to prove to you that I am a real person."
(a nice way to escape, in other words he rejected my invitation)

5) he have only 69 followers (strange for a domainer since 2017)

6) but one of his followers is SHUKURPASHA2 (twitter) Pasha is one of the few "lucky" people to know swetha.
here is the tweet from 5 days ago by Praveen were he post pics with swetha and Pasha like it was the same day but in fact you can see are old pictures. The day after that post swetha reported at namebio new "sales".
Tweet: /JackDomainer/status/1626076050122735617?s=20

7) This user meslam479 claim to have 10K domains (not small porfolio at all)
coincidentally also Elliot Silver claimed to own 10K xyz names.

8) meslam479 logo have the same colors of DomainInvesting logo.

We need to be more skeptical than ever, there is a new wave of scammers and they found out that the domain community tend to believe very easy. They are profiting from that.

Can be all true and i am all wrong, yes.
But for me "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Jack Domainer.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck!

What i see here is an extensive and well elaborated narrative in favor of Swetha and .xyz
By how this post was redacted is easy to spot that the one is writing it have profesional writing skills like an experienced blogger.
This user Meslam479 goes by the same handle at twitter.
What i found was very strange FACTS and "coincidences".

(BELONG TO ELLIOT SILVER from DomainInvesting .com, he also owns embrace .xyz and embrace .com)

2) When i check Meslam479 twitter account i found very sttrange that he was inactive for many years (his account was created in 2013, we all know is very easy to purchase old twitter accounts)
But his last tweet was a thread (his only thread, a thread about swetha and xyz) were he wrote the same things in this Namepros post.
In Fact, in this Swetha xyz thread, he wrote more than what we wrote in 10 years combined.
acct is from 2013
2014- 1 retweet
2015 no activity
2016 no activity
2017 no activity
2021-1 RT

3) he said he is a domainer from 2017, so i asked why only now he wake up on twitter, he answered:
"I just started giving attention to Twitter after noticing a lot of veteran domainers using it. Yes, I have over 10k domains and started in late 2017, but did not make profits till 2018 and went full-time in domaining last year. I'm not really into writing threads."
Tweet: /meslam479/status/1627445544799899649?s=20

4) He claim his native language is arabic and he lives in Egypt.
I told him:
"Your English writing skills are impresive, just like a professional journalist. I have many friends that their native language is Arabic, would you acept to make a video call with them in arabic?"

So @ meslam479 answered:
"One trick is to use ChatGPT to fix any grammar errors. :) I'm not sure if I need to prove anything, but if you do some digging, I'm sure you will find a lot of information about me."
(chat gpt is trending so is the best excuse, the thing is that in this post is not only grammar but the hability to present a story.)
Since he didnt answered i asked again.
He answered:
"If he is a domainer from Egypt or any Arab country, I am happy to engage with him and become friends. Other than that, I do not see the need to engage with one of your colleagues to prove to you that I am a real person."
(a nice way to escape, in other words he rejected my invitation)

6) but one of his followers is SHUKURPASHA2 (twitter) Pasha is one of the few "lucky" people to know swetha.
here is the tweet from 5 days ago by Praveen were he post pics with swetha and Pasha like it was the same day but in fact you can see are old pictures. The day after that post swetha reported at namebio new "sales".

We need to be more skeptical than ever, there is a new wave of scammers and they found out that the domain community tend to believe very easy. They are profiting from that.

But for me "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Jack Domainer.
I can't comment about meslam479 because I don't know him. Your comment about me in point 7 is a fabrication.

I never said I "own 10k xyz names" or anything along those lines. I don't even have 10,000 domain names in my entire portfolio.

In fact, here are some times I commented publicly about how many domain names I own and how many .xyz domain names I own:

January 21, 2023 on Twitter, I wrote : "My portfolio has less than 2,000 domain names,"

When someone asked about the makeup of my portfolio, I replied with a breakdown of the extensions:

These are approximate numbers based on a quick check:
97.1% .com
1.6% .xyz
.4% .org
.3% .CO
.3% .net

Even if my portfolio had 2,000 domain names, 1.6% would mean I have 32 .xyz domain names. That's it.

Last June on Twitter, I wrote "How many .XYZ domain names do you own? I believe I have 16 right now."

On my corporate website, it says, "The company owns and oversees a portfolio of nearly 2,000 descriptive domain names."

Finally, here's a link to an article I wrote to share that I bought my first two .xyz domain names in December of 2021: https://domaininvesting.com/bought-my-first-two-xyz-domain-names-via-dan-com/

I stand by what I wrote in that article,

"I am not advocating for others to invest in .xyz domain names or any other extensions. I still think it is super risky, particularly when so many people are inclined to try and hand register domain names that are pure garbage."

Last edited:
•••
Also as a disclaimer, I only hold 3 .xyz domains in my portfolio at west.xyz and the majority of my 14k domains are in CCTLDs and.com and a couple of legacy extensions so I'm not emotionally attached to .xyz extension.
This claim make no sense to the extensive post you made about xyz were you show very emotionally atached.

•••
Now you have 14k domains? few hours ago in twitter you said you have 10K.

•••
@EJS my mistake you actually said you spent 10K on all your.xyz
At jan 2022 were only 16 and you sold one for $20K
What was the domain name you sold?

•••

I don't see any conspiracy theory in someone deciding to share my thread on twitter.

acct is from 2013
2014- 1 retweet
2015 no activity
2016 no activity
2017 no activity
2021-1 RT

That's not proof of anything; not all domain investors are active on Twitter. Although I am not very active on NamePros, this is not my first thread/post.

2023-02-20 (1).png
2023-02-20.png

You have just written 689 words in a comment to prove that I am fake.

The same 💩 is not proving anything.

SHUKURPASHA2 began following me recently, after I replied to QualityNames on Twitter on February 13, 2023.

331126519_1592556034523961_7846927812537091329_n.jpg
331427480_1632396693867055_4330516343602361335_n.jpg

Once again, Elliot has proven you wrong as usual.

Great finding :ROFL:

Jack Domainer.

Surely, we should be more skeptical. However, if you accuse someone, you should be prepared to back it up with real facts rather than mere speculations.

Now you have 14k domains? few hours ago in twitter you said you have 10K.

I clearly responded to your statement, "have 10k DN," by saying, "Yes, I have over 10k domains." Simply manipulating words will not make your statement accurate.

Finally, it appears that I have successfully disproven everything you have said. Feel free to continue searching for more information, or in other words, to continue convincing yourself.

Last edited:
•••
@jackdomainer

We don't have problem with scepticism. Actually we will respect you for it if:
1- You provide strong evidence and undeniable facts.
2- You dont attack other people! and make things personal.

The problem is that your arguments here and at Twitter are very weak.. you are trying to look smart but sorry you are not very smart .. and you are making a 🤡 of yourself here and ppl will laugh at you instead of taking you seriously.

Attacking people is not respectful behavior and you will be very unpopular here for that... enjoy the negative impact points.

Last edited:
•••
your arguments here and at Twitter are very weak.. you are trying to look smart but sorry you are not very smart .. and you are making a 🤡 of yourself here and ppl will laugh at you instead of taking you seriously

..you will very unpopular here...
..a fact already with many in the domaining world.

•••
sorry but youre too generous with tld imaginary prices.

green.co green.io green.xyz six figs???

•••
sorry but youre too generous with tld imaginary prices.

green.co green.io green.xyz six figs???

Perhaps I am too generous, but it is important to note that low six-figure sales in the ultra-premium domains, such as .co, .io, .xyz, .gg, and others, do occur occasionally.

•••
Jack needs to study up on logical fallacies, and the rest of the domain community needs to stop accepting them. Everytime someone responds, its just giving credence, and worse amplifying, quite possibly the dumbest, most flawed arguments and accusations i've ever seen in this community, let alone the unacceptable personal attacks. Just walk away.

•••
Broh @jackdomainer i hope you are being paid for being nonsense here and on Twitter. If no than your situation needs some serious medical treatment, honestly please take good care of yourself.

•••
.xyz is shit and always will be shit, no one ever will create a decent site on .xyz
It is just hype, a bubble, the same bubble as numeric domain hype was.
I never buy or order anything from the website with the .xyz domain, the same think 99% of internet users.
Back in 2015 or 2016, all 6 numeric domains were registered and even a decent part of 7 numeric domains too, and today a lot of them are available for a reg fee.
@Swethat tactics don't worth even 2 cents, but he just got lucky to reg all the best .xyz domains and then create a .xyz bubble, or someone created that bubble, and @swetha luckily was there with his domains.
There is no new king here, .xyz is shit and always it will be.
.xyz is a favorite extension for all spammers and scammers.
By the way, "thanks" to @swetha, a lot of .xyz domains were acquired or sold for XXX and higher, but all these domains will be dropped in a few years.

Last edited:
•••
Stop it already. ITS A SCAM ! It is really strange that domainers are buying this swetha xyz fantasy. Domainers should know what domains worth.

•••
•••
Back