Dynadot

opinion My first BIG aftermarket Buy. Should I go for it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello NP,

This should be in the Pre-Purchase appraisals but I figured since I'm not mentioning the domain it's not the right "fit" for that thread. I'm sure mods will put it in the right "spot".

Anyways.

I like starting threads that get people talking (as you can tell)
So I have a chance to buy an AGED domain (To be announced later if I buy)
It's been registered since 2004. The "ask" was $3000. I bargained it down to $2200.
plus it's a single word domain.Brandable too.

I wanted the deal to be done thru Escrow.com but this person seems to want to go thru Sedo and wants me to pay the 3% sales tax. (should I question this?)

just on age alone is $2200 a fair price for a domain regged since 2004 but has 1 drop?

now here's the kicker. A similar domain (developed) sold for $30+ million few years back. (I won't tell)

(but I bet you all will start to do some research to figure out what that domain is right now just for fun.)

so back to my question. is $2200 a good price all things considered?

It's a big move for me doing this.

worse case scenario realistically this single word domain is 7 times cheaper than thee ask price of a similar domain that's a 2 word domain.($15K)

So I could sell quickly maybe to that 2 word domain owner for a quick flip. or prepay for 10-20 years renewal and wait for that "retirement money" lol?

yea yea I'm a dreamer but I really did my homework on this one. I wish I could spill the beans but to protect myself I rather keep quiet.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ummm could be! lol

Well this wont help, if you aren't mentioning the keyword, at least mention the extension? You ask if you should "Go for it", people cant tell you that without knowing the name or extension?

PM me if you are after any advice?

•••
Well this wont help, if you aren't mentioning the keyword, at least mention the extension? You ask if you should "Go for it", people cant tell you that without knowing the name or extension?

PM me if you are after any advice?

ok thanks but time to spend with family. I'll pm you later. Good night all. thanks for the input. I will digest for sure tonite. still waiting for a reply from the email I have. I really think it's sold to someone else as the email is not the same now.

•••
9 definite endusers who could benefit with an "exact match" domain. this is not a brandable but an EMD single word. these endusers are pumping billions into this keyword.

Exact Match Domain.
Single word.
Billions spent on keyword.
Domain available sale under $3k {well it was 6 months ago}
LMFAO.

I could develop it. easy enough to develop.
LMFAO. Seriously.

Please, as a service to everyone, change your avatar.
Domaining like a Boss.
LMFAO.

There are four basic types of poker players - regular amateurs, the ones that lose and don't care (whales), the ones that are semi-pro/basic pro, and the professionals.:

The first gamble and lose some within a budget and general play within their own circle at the low stakes table.
The second gamble and lose some and win some. They don't care because they can afford it at the high stakes table.
The third have superior knowledge: know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. They look to beat the second groups and make a living.
The fourth have superior knowledge and money to cover any and all risk... they beat the second group all day long... they beat the third group because they don't carry the risk burden.

Realistically? You're in the first group aspiring to the third group after playing 10 low stake hands hoping to win a pot on a flop that was checked on 6 months ago.

•••
This reply is not for the OP

Anyone with a DOMAINIQ paid account?
Archimedes Sapitula (name at yahho dot come) seems to have 10,000+ domains. Most of them are registered from 2013 onwards.
The only names registered before that was on 2005 (may be only few or only one because if he was registering names then, he might have continued with few other names after that). As the OP mentioned the name in question was 1st registered in 2004 and had one drop and he mentioned it AGED, so that is definitely the domain of 2005.
domainfilter.JPG

Anyone with DomainIq account? Free account doesn't show the name. :)

http://www.domainiq.com/name?Archimedes_Sapitula#domain_search

P.S- All the information is readily available on Internet. No Privacy or other issues here.

(but I bet you all will start to do some research to figure out what that domain is right now just for fun.)

Last edited:
•••
Is all this research really necessary, he was just asking a simple question? He obviously didn't want to mention the name for his own reasons?

•••
Is all this research really necessary, he was just asking a simple question? He obviously didn't want to mention the name for his own reasons?

NOT necessary at all. He welcomed the fact that other users will try to find the name. His statement which I have quoted has provoked to spend a minute for that. Nothing serious I guess. I hope OP does not take it seriously as well. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I just think he didnt mention it for a reason, people should probably let others do their own research if they really want to find out out, rather than posting it on the public forum, especially if other people have a look and try and buy the name, thats all

Last edited:
•••
Exact Match Domain.
Single word.
Billions spent on keyword.
Domain available sale under $3k {well it was 6 months ago}
LMFAO.

LMFAO. Seriously.

Please, as a service to everyone, change your avatar.
Domaining like a Boss.
LMFAO.

There are four basic types of poker players - regular amateurs, the ones that lose and don't care (whales), the ones that are semi-pro/basic pro, and the professionals.:

The first gamble and lose some within a budget and general play within their own circle at the low stakes table.
The second gamble and lose some and win some. They don't care because they can afford it at the high stakes table.
The third have superior knowledge: know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. They look to beat the second groups and make a living.
The fourth have superior knowledge and money to cover any and all risk... they beat the second group all day long... they beat the third group because they don't carry the risk burden.

Realistically? You're in the first group aspiring to the third group after playing 10 low stake hands hoping to win a pot on a flop that was checked on 6 months ago.

was going to reply a long winded rebuttal but. it's too exhausting. so........... (clap clap clap) next?

•••
so just sent the guy a reply after 5 months. lol. I await his reply. I am considering asking for a price reduction. is that unprofessional to do after already agreeing on $2200? how would one go about it?

I mean you guys on here made some good points about age and that it hasn't been purchased all this time. Points I made early on in the negotiations.

and then there is that 1 DROP.

You mentioned before that the seller wanted you to pay the 3% tax? Only in this industry could a seller be so non-customer focused!

Strange industry this is...really.

•••
You mentioned before that the seller wanted you to pay the 3% tax? Only in this industry could a seller be so non-customer focused!

Strange industry this is...really.

no no they wanted me to pay the 3% Sedo escrow fee

•••
I really think it's sold to someone else as the email is not the same now.

If it is a new owner; ask if they want to sell it.

You could get a good deal from the new owner.

•••
no no they wanted me to pay the 3% Sedo escrow fee

You should have told them that they just lost a $2,200 sale for that attitude ;)

Sellers like that will soon learn to respect domain buyers a bit more.

It works both ways, we always moan about customers not understanding what we do..well how can we moan when we see how sellers treat the buyers sometimes.

Hope it all works out well for you.

•••
From what I read in your opening post it sounds like your about to pay an end user price for a brandable domain.

•••
so just sent the guy a reply after 5 months. lol. I await his reply. I am considering asking for a price reduction. is that unprofessional to do after already agreeing on $2200? how would one go about it?

I mean you guys on here made some good points about age and that it hasn't been purchased all this time. Points I made early on in the negotiations.

and then there is that 1 DROP.

also wanted to add . Should I bring up the fact someone brought that this keyword when typed into Google gets zero ads on the results page? How does the fact that a keyword of a domain gets no ads on Google factor into the price of a domain?

and how would you "attack" the obvious value of the age of domain? Most domainers will probably "stand" on the "legs" of AGE and say "hey this is the price because this is the AGE".

any good replies to something like this that would help my case for a price reduction?

•••
If it is a new owner; ask if they want to sell it.

You could get a good deal from the new owner.

yea well I don't know what it sold for. so I might end up paying more now.

•••
From what I read in your opening post it sounds like your about to pay an end user price for a brandable domain.

yea I know. I really was "stuck" on that AGED domain crap. everytime I've ever tried to buy an aftermarket domain they always wanted Top Dollar and the reason was AGE. so just assumed it was "bulletproof" reasoning. Anyone have any "Armor piercing" replies to the "bulletproof" assumption that AGE=Big Money?

•••
You should have told them that they just lost a $2,200 sale for that attitude ;)

Sellers like that will soon learn to respect domain buyers a bit more.

It works both ways, we always moan about customers not understanding what we do..well how can we moan when we see how sellers treat the buyers sometimes.

Hope it all works out well for you.

isn't asking the customer to pay the sedo escrow fee standard MO in domaining? I read it all the time on here. where "buyer assumes Escrow fee".

what's a good reply to that?

•••
isn't asking the customer to pay the sedo escrow fee standard MO in domaining? I read it all the time on here. where "buyer assumes Escrow fee".

what's a good reply to that?

By default most sellers do pass it on to the customer as far as I am aware. But to insist on it could mean losing sales, especially when you consider 3% of 2,200 is just $66.

•••
yea well I don't know what it sold for. so I might end up paying more now.

Irrelevant.

Take a look at the sales history for any domain and you will see prices go up and down over time for many reasons.

Just decide what the domain is worth to you and go from there.

If you feel it is a good value and a good investment what difference does it make if you pay more than before?

It could still be a good deal, a good value and a good investment.

•••
It is refreshing to see you finally considering the aftermarket, but to be honest, I don't think you're ready to make 4 figure purchases yet. You might want to get your feet wet with some xx snaps first. I have had countless xxx sales from xx snaps and quite a few x,xxx sales too. Even a xx,xxx sale from a $27 aftermarket purchase.
Good luck Av, keep us in the loop.

•••
Have to agree, looking at your signature domains I don`t think you are ready yet. Learn at least 5 years more, better 10, then you are maybe ready.

•••
Just wondering, If "billions" are apparently spent on the keyword can you please provide an example of how much is spent per month by one of the top advertisers for the keyword on Google? I might be wrong but I think its good to know how much companies spend per month on a competitive keyword, I think that helps with understanding the value proposition for a name.

If there aren't any advertisements thats not a problem, please provide the cpc, search volume and whether or not its in .COM because if it isn't....I'm not sure its worth buying at that price, unless its a short name. I feel like people are trying to do their best to help you with minimal information so its only fair if you provide some important pieces of info to get more accurate advice.

Last edited:
•••
One bit of caution.

1. There is no shortage of cash in domaining. If the deal was a stellar deal, it would already be sold.
2. Single word domains don't sell quickly. Just ask Elliot Silver...he has had words on the market for a while.
3. If you can't afford to sit on it for a while might not be a good idea.
4. What could you do with the 2k on more liquid domains?

Make sure it's not a typo. :)

•••
PM a few people you trust on here the actual name to get a real opinion. Otherwise everyone is just guessing. I would be happy to take a look for you.
Is it a correctly spelled one word .com?

•••
PM a few people you trust on here the actual name to get a real opinion. Otherwise everyone is just guessing. I would be happy to take a look for you.
Is it a correctly spelled one word .com?

yes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back