Dynadot

opinion My first BIG aftermarket Buy. Should I go for it?

NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello NP,

This should be in the Pre-Purchase appraisals but I figured since I'm not mentioning the domain it's not the right "fit" for that thread. I'm sure mods will put it in the right "spot".

Anyways.

I like starting threads that get people talking (as you can tell)
So I have a chance to buy an AGED domain (To be announced later if I buy)
It's been registered since 2004. The "ask" was $3000. I bargained it down to $2200.
plus it's a single word domain.Brandable too.

I wanted the deal to be done thru Escrow.com but this person seems to want to go thru Sedo and wants me to pay the 3% sales tax. (should I question this?)

just on age alone is $2200 a fair price for a domain regged since 2004 but has 1 drop?

now here's the kicker. A similar domain (developed) sold for $30+ million few years back. (I won't tell)

(but I bet you all will start to do some research to figure out what that domain is right now just for fun.)

so back to my question. is $2200 a good price all things considered?

It's a big move for me doing this.

worse case scenario realistically this single word domain is 7 times cheaper than thee ask price of a similar domain that's a 2 word domain.($15K)

So I could sell quickly maybe to that 2 word domain owner for a quick flip. or prepay for 10-20 years renewal and wait for that "retirement money" lol?

yea yea I'm a dreamer but I really did my homework on this one. I wish I could spill the beans but to protect myself I rather keep quiet.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just a point, you said based on the age, the price seems ok. Age has nothing to do with value imo. Some domains are aged 20+ years but dropped often as they have no real use for an end-user/startup.

Brand names are always difficult to assess, and given we do not know the name, we cannot tell it;s potential branding value for you, or for resale.

Good luck with it anyway if you do go ahead.

•••
My advice is to take a breather and don't rush and buy it.

Sleep on it tonight and it will be clearer tomorrow.

Don't make an expensive mistake by acting too quickly.

actually. it's not something I've "just thought off" this has been on going for about 6 months now. had plenty of chances to "Back out" and get a "clear head".

despite everyone's kind advice I think I'm going to take the plunge on it. and you can all say "I told you so" if this all goes "egg on my face". it will be a good laugh for sure. might make for good fodder on James Illes posts? lol Thanks again everyone! much appreciated. you can keep posting if you like. I don't mind I'll reply still. let you all know once the domain is transferred. Cross my fingers.

•••
so just sent the guy a reply after 5 months. lol. I await his reply. I am considering asking for a price reduction. is that unprofessional to do after already agreeing on $2200? how would one go about it?

I mean you guys on here made some good points about age and that it hasn't been purchased all this time. Points I made early on in the negotiations.

and then there is that 1 DROP.

•••
after 5 months very easy to go back with lower offer IMO, but if you were gonna do that woulda been better in initial email

•••
actually. it's not something I've "just thought off" this has been on going for about 6 months now. had plenty of chances to "Back out" and get a "clear head".

despite everyone's kind advice I think I'm going to take the plunge on it. and you can all say "I told you so" if this all goes "egg on my face". it will be a good laugh for sure. might make for good fodder on James Illes posts? lol Thanks again everyone! much appreciated. you can keep posting if you like. I don't mind I'll reply still. let you all know once the domain is transferred. Cross my fingers.

Good luck!!

•••
after 5 months very easy to go back with lower offer IMO, but if you were gonna do that woulda been better in initial email

well the problem is the domain has been removed from Sedo so I really don't know. the Whois I think is that same? I forget what it was before. so it might have been sold already

yikes!

missed opportunity? we shall see!

•••
so just sent the guy a reply after 5 months. lol. I await his reply. I am considering asking for a price reduction. is that unprofessional to do after already agreeing on $2200? how would one go about it?

I mean you guys on here made some good points about age and that it hasn't been purchased all this time. Points I made early on in the negotiations.

and then there is that 1 DROP.

The fact that it has been 5 months and the name is still available says a lot.

•••
well the problem is the domain has been removed from Sedo so I really don't know. the Whois I think is that same? I forget what it was before. so it might have been sold already

yikes!

missed opportunity? we shall see!

Check the whois and the domain history to be sure.

•••
well the problem is the domain has been removed from Sedo so I really don't know

Maybe it was dropped again and picked up by someone else.

If it was dropped, maybe it was not such a good name after all.

This could be a good thing for you.

Maybe you just saved yourself from making a big mistake.

This could be your lucky day!

•••
I did. and like I said the whois "looks" right from what I remember but on thee other hand it's been 5 months. memory is bad. to be honest the whois "looks different". like I said still have the contact email. oh and the email is different. so yea I think it did sell. for $3K? who knows! We'll see if and when they reply.

•••
Maybe it was dropped again and picked up by someone else.

If it was dropped, maybe it was not such a good name after all.

This could be a good thing for you.

Maybe you just saved yourself from making a big mistake.

This could be your lucky day!

lol Mr/Ms Silver lining huh? thanks!

We shall see!

oh and it did not drop. either it was sold or they changed whois email.

•••
this niche can use either the single word or the 2 word domain. The 2 word domain for this niche the guy flat out asked $15 and nothing lower. I even tested a fake offer of $12K and still did not budget. mind you he just reg it less than a year.
You're making fake offers ?

but like I said worse case scenario. I can sell this domain (once I announce it's sale to Namebio) for sure at least 100%- maybe 300% profit.
If you are so sure, then buy it.

I have just one question: how many domain names have you sold so far and for how much ?
Before buying expensive domains you should have a track record of sales, even modest sales. At least you've got the proof of concept and once you're getting it, you can scale up.

Also have an exit plan. If the name doesn't sell, could you use it ?

•••
Hopefully you checked trademarkia first.

•••

I have just one question: how many domain names have you sold so far and for how much ?
Before buying expensive domains you should have a track record of sales, even modest sales. At least you've got the proof of concept and once you're getting it, you can scale up.

I could develop it. easy enough to develop. an extra $1000 and another $300 for press release. it's multi use really. plenty of potential.

look I've missed the boat on alot of stuff like iot and vr and bitcoins etc etc but this? I think this is my ticket really.

•••
Hopefully you checked trademarkia first.

yea this time I did. there could be some issues but so long as I stick to others Goods and services I think I'll be ok. but like I said it's a mix use domain. plenty of potential. it's not like "Realtor" .com

by the way? are you a realtor? perhaps Realtor will come after you for your profile name? lol in either case PM me.

•••
perhaps Realtor will come after you for your profile name?

We had a deal with NAR, I have gave up my TM application for EU online education and they got off my back. They even offered me $x,xxx for my eurorealtors domains, but I just simply dropped them years back.

•••
We had a deal with NAR, I have gave up my TM application for EU online education and they got off my back. They even offered me $x,xxx for my eurorealtors domains, but I just simply dropped them years back.

EU online education? wait what? what's that gotta do with NAR? And they offered you $x,xxx EuroRealtors? why would they do that if they got you by the nads?

•••
I believe you shouold take help of estibot and yeah please do some research before taking this big step.

•••
whats the renewal anyway after you buy it or if you don't?

•••
You cannot tell without seeing the name

Ignore the age, ignore Estibot and ignore past sales..its this name and the keywords that really matter.

Haven't read the whole thread yet...is the name .com?

Last edited:
•••

Ignore the age, ignore Estibot and ignore past sales..its this name and the keywords that really matter.

He is absolutely right a single letter can throw the price of a domain off by 99.9%, this is just a wild goose chase.

•••

oh and I haven't sold much. nor have I have really been making an "effort" to go out of my way YET (really need to get up off the lazy ass and start doing what a domainer should be doing.) but about 10? last year? $100-$2000? that's about it.
whats the renewal anyway after you buy it or if you don't?

couple of scheckels. lol

•••

ummm could be! lol

•••
well since it isn't 2200 renewal why not?

•••
well since it isn't 2200 renewal why not?

ahhh that's where you were getting at. thought you were fishing for the extension. lol sorry. yea not a $2200 renewal. that would be ridiculous.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back