My experience with Dynadot.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

It’s been around a year since I started moving out my domains from Uniregistry to Dynadot. The reason as we all know is that Uniregistry is shutting down pretty soon so it was good for me to slowly but steadily move out my domains. It’s not easy to transfer out 8,000+ domains in one-go mainly because of the funds required for transferring out which of course adds one year of renewal but doing this isn’t possible when the new purchases are actively ongoing along with the renewals and usual transfers from different registrars.

Today I want to tell you about my experience with Dynadot.

From a security perspective, I really like this registrar because for transferring out any domain from my account, it requires to enter Google Authenticator code + SMS code simultaneously. This is a very good feature and I highly recommend everyone to enable it with your Dynadot account.

From a pricing point of view, it’s better than Uniregistry but not attractive enough like GoDaddy and a few more whom I know offer a little better rates both of renewals and transfers especially .com domains. I have no hard feelings on this one but at least they should occasionally offer up some .com renewal code but I don’t think they ever do it. Yes, they occasionally offer .com transfer coupons but that also is not that impressive like some other registrars do. If they can focus on this part, I’m sure they’ll get more new customers and more loyal existing customers.

The UI is simple and nice once you’re familiar with it. One of the best things is they offer to make different folders which is a must feature for me to have. On the “Manage Domains” page, you’ve the option to display 100, 250, 500, 750, 1,000 and 5,000 domains in one page. Once you select 5,000 domains, the loading time is too much and the browser gets stuck at times. Don’t tell me my laptop is slow, which isn’t at all :xf.grin: I think Dynadot needs to fix this loading time problem and allow some 2,000 or 3,000 domains to display in one page. Up till 1,000 there are 5 selections but after that it’s way up to 5,000 and nothing in the middle.

Another thing is that if you’ve 500 domains in one page and you need to select 350 domains, you’re required to select one by one manually and can’t simply select the first domain and press SHIFT key and select the 350th domain to select 350 domains altogether like it can happen at Uniregistry.

The expiring auction part is one of the worst things with Dynadot and I know many domain investors have complaints with them. It’s been reported to them multiple times but they don’t fix it. The issue is when the domain enters the auction, the domain registrant has time to renew the domain during the auction as well as after the auction is over which is not at all good. It’s a complete mess and waste of time for the auction participants. On top of that, if the winning bidder has paid for the domain and the domain gets renewed, the person will get the refund back as Dynadot credit (correct me if I’m wrong because on this last point I’m not 100% sure). But the auction should only start when the registrant has no more time left to renew it. This will allow the bidders to peacefully bid on the domains as they will be assured of getting the domain.

One of the best things with Dynadot is that they offer both Afternic DLS and Sedo MLS and this is a must for every domain investor to keep in mind when deciding the registrar. I can assure you that sales do increase when you’ve both DLS and MLS enabled so please carefully select your registrar.

Another good thing is that anyone can credit a balance for you if you create an order with any sum of amount and provide it for making the payment. You may use that balance for any kind of purchases with Dynadot.

I’m sure there are many other pros and cons altogether at Dynadot but one thing I’ll add before wrapping up my post is that I’ve been assigned with a dedicated account rep “Caleb Tweed” who has been exceptional in assisting right from the start I’ve moved in my domains to Dynadot. Thanks to him.

Feel free to give your feedback on using Dynadot and if you’ve anything to add, just add in the comment section and I’ll make sure that it’s been forwarded to the Dynadot team.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Corrected.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back