Dynadot

sales My Biggest Sale Yet - $24.5k

NameSilo
Watch
Hi All,

Wanted to report my biggest sale yet that came after revising my prices back in August. I'd like to thank everyone here and special gratitude to @Riz M., @AbdulBasit.com & @DnFolk for also reporting their recent large sales. It has been very much appreciated. Also a thanks to Mike Mann for continually reporting his sales on twitter.

Special thanks to Rick Schwartz for his video below. You should checkout his blog, videos and twitter regularly if you don't already. It helps to keep things in perspective.

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1156858192711888896

upload_2020-3-21_21-12-28.png

Purchased in 2016 for $19.47 via godaddy.

I've been buying and selling domains for over 17 years. Prior to August, I'd been selling about 60-70 domains per year to end users, but last year I revised the prices on about 30-40% of my domains (see below). The reason I increased pricing on many of my domains was because it really felt like I was underselling many domains and leaving too much money on the table.

So the plan was to increase the prices to NameWorth suggested levels (where I feel it makes sense) and then try to get to $250k in annual sales from the current $130k-$140k. So hopefully I'll get there, or maybe I'll crash and burn because the prices are too high. But the first month is looking great so far and on track
HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

While this has been the second 5 figure sale since August and my average sale price is much higher than in prior years, my overall sales have not really been higher.for the last 12 months as the higher prices on the top 30-40% of my names have likely decreased the quantity of sales. Maybe I'll try to fine tune this over time to see if I can achieve the right balance.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi All,

Wanted to report my biggest sale yet that came after revising my prices back in August. I'd like to thank everyone here and special gratitude to @Riz M., @AbdulBasit.com & @DnFolk for also reporting their recent large sales. It has been very much appreciated. Also a thanks to Mike Mann for continually reporting his sales on twitter.

Special thanks to Rick Schwartz for his video below. You should checkout his blog, videos and twitter regularly if you don't already. It helps to keep things in perspective.

Show attachment 148297

I've been buying and selling domains for over 17 years. Prior to August, I'd been selling about 60-70 domains per year to end users, but last year I revised the prices on about 30-40% of my domains (see below). The reason I increased pricing on many of my domains was because it really felt like I was underselling many domains and leaving too much money on the table.

While this has been the second 5 figure sale since August and my average sale price is much higher than in prior years, my overall sales have not really been higher.for the last 12 months as the higher prices on the top 30-40% of my names have likely decreased the quantity of sales. Maybe I'll try to fine tune this over time to see if I can achieve the right balance.

Congrats on this fantastic sale! (y)(y)
Happy for you and wish you much more success to you :xf.love:

•••
I'll say congrats to you as well NameBuyer. A few questions and a few observations. Did you personally have an "end user" or a "use" in mind for plantogrow.com when you registered the domain in 2016? Regardless, do you know what the "end user" intends to use it for now? The reason I ask, if you attempt to access plantogrow.com it just takes you to a login page where you need a user id and password to enter.

Thanks! I didn't have a buyer in mind for this domain, but the term was a popular one and I sometimes register phrases if they have widespread use or if they can be applied to multiple industries. My normal requirements for buying a name would be a good name for either a SAAS company, branding/marketing company, online store selling products, good name for a brick and mortar store or an organization/non-profit "cause" that people are passionate about, or at the very minimum, a good name for a marketing campaign.

My secondary requirement is that I need to be able to envision it being used by at least one solid business model. In this case I figured it could be used for personal/business growth, marketing campaigns for a company, or cannabis related.

Often times I get the final use completely wrong. Below are some of my notable ones I can think of:

Domain My Predicted Use Actual Use After Sale
GreatTogether // comDating SiteHeineken beer commercials promoting European soccer and Heineken being "great together"
HoodClips // comHold Downs for Car HoodsVideo Clips from the "hood" with 11.2 million instagram followers
Fluux // comTech CompanyJUUL recharger that is a phone case

•••
How many hang reg names in your 6 k portfolio, how many names you buy in a month? How long you took to build your portfolio

Thanks and congrats

Over the years I sometimes hand reg names if a business idea comes to me, but for domain investing I've only done auction or expired domains. So if I were to guess, it is likely under 300 hand reg names.

My favorite hand reg was garett(dot)com. I was the original registrant in 1999, then I let it expire and lucked out by getting it back on a backorder the following year.

Most months I only buy about 5-10 domains, but there have been points in time where I buy large amounts. For instance, in 2018 I purchased about 1,200 domains in a 2-3 month period.

If I were to guess my domain count by year it would be something like this.

1999 - 3
2003 - 250
2005 - 450
2007 - 1,200
2008 - 2,500
2014 - 4,200
2016 - 5,300
2018 - 6,700
2019 - 7,000
2020 - 6,600

My goal is to build it to over 10,000 domains by 2021.

I'd say the first 1,000 domains was probably the hardest because it is all self funded. I had a separate online business that was doing well, so I was able to fund the domains out of that business. Once the domain sales start coming in, if you focus on building your names and reinvest most of your money back in, it can grow pretty steadily.

Last edited:
•••
Wow.. Thanks for sharing.

17 years in the game. I guess you already have a very solid portfolio. Hence, what you're gunning for is achievable. More wins.

Last edited:
•••
Hi All,

Show attachment 148297

Great sale congratz mate..
I hope to hear from you soon more sales :)

•••
Good price for that domain.

How many domains are you holding?

Also - nameworth is your appraisal platform so is this alleged sale posted here to support that nameworth is a worthwhile appraisal tool?

I have around 6,600 domains now. Part of those are with a partner. Trying to grow to over 10,000 domains in the next year.

I don't want to advocate NameWorth here, I was just referencing my prior post that at a particular point in time I was making an effort to up the prices on 30-40% of my domains in an attempt to increase revenue and get higher sales.

If I had less domains I probably would have manually evaluated all the prices. But the thought of manually re-evaluating over 6,000 names was painful, so that's why I ran them through the tool first to identify the top names, then manually reviewed the domains that were flagged.

After 17 years, I've gotten 2 of my highest sales so far in the last 12 months, so the effort has been successful in that respect, but the total revenue is about the same as mentioned in my post above. The end result is I've sold and leased 40 names in the last 12 months, instead of 60-70 domains like I had in the prior 3-4 years.

Last edited:
•••
Question: What made you price PlanToGrow at 24k?

This is the kind of sale that often blows my mind, because I normally would price a domain like that in the low to mid 4 figures, but you had the intuition to know it could sell for higher. I admire people who have the skill to be able to do that, but I honestly can't figure it out... It almost looks random to me in some ways... Its why I stick to generics, because there is more rational that I can bet on, but apparently there's a lot of money to be made in brandables as well if you know what you're doing.

I recent regged AirOfCredibility dot com hoping to have that kind of intuition / hunch... Do you think I'm on the right track? Or is this a hard miss? 😄

I also had the tendency to price most names in the low to mid $x,xxx range. Then my top 2-3% of names I would leave with no price. But the reality is there are not just two types of domains. Seeing a lot of Mike Mann's sales also made me realize there isn't just a Ford or a Lamborghini in terms of domain pricing.

For this domain, due to the sheer number, I put them all through my NameWorth service (2,000+ domains) then adjusted them up or down depending on what I saw.

That's a good question about your domain. For "air of credibility" it is a term that most people have heard, but I've found it useful to also envision how it can be used, what buyers there could likely be, and how much those types of buyers typically pay for a domain. You'd have to research the uses of the term, and to me it seems that term would be less likely for business use, but could be used for a book title, movie, or maybe a blog. So you'd have to assess realistic values for each of the possible uses based on the types of buyers.

Lately I try to only buy domains where the use is either pretty obvious or it has a broad and positive meaning (as with PlanToGrow). For example, I have the domain ASliceAbove(dot)com. The use for something like this is pretty obvious. There are similarly named pizza places. In the past, this domain has also been used for a cake business. The domain to a mom and pop pizza business in a small town might not even be worth $1,750 to some business owners, but to a pizza chain with 10-15 restaurants, it might be worth $10-$20k.

The video below is one of my favorites as far as helping to shift paradigms, and I've watched it multiple times. It has to do with pricing/value of logo design, but the concepts can be directly applied to domain sales.

•••
Great sale and thanks for sharing.

•••
•••
Good price for that domain.

How many domains are you holding?

Also - nameworth is your appraisal platform so is this alleged sale posted here to support that nameworth is a worthwhile appraisal tool?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for sharing @Namebuyer

Do you list some domains on brandable marketplaces or only on Afternic?

Do you promote your domains?

Currently I have landers at my BetterNames // com site (soon to be switched to our new public marketplace). I also list all the domains on Afternic using the "premium network" option so they are listed at every registrar.

I don't do any type of domain promotion. I only wait for inbound now. I tried doing outbound 1-2 years ago and contacted 100+ businesses with 1-2 mid $xxx sales. In my opinion it is way too much work and your negotiating position is much weaker. Some people are good at it and that's great, and for the right name at the right time you may get a decent sale, but it wasn't for me.

•••
•••
Well, you have a plan to grow! :xf.smile:
Congrats on your sale and thanks for sharing! (y)

•••
Happy to know this, Super sale @NameBuyer.com Congratulations. Wish you many more such sales.

•••
•••
Nice sales, congratulations buddy

•••
Congratulations @NameBuyer.com on this sale! Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good domaining!

•••
Amazing sale! Congratulations!!

•••
•••
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

•••
Congrats on the sale and thanks for sharing

•••
•••
•••
Amazing sale, thanks for sharing. Wish you more sales like this (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back