IT.COM

discuss .MOBI General Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jacks86

Top Member
Impact
Due to the arguments that arose a couple weeks ago because of the past .mobi threads, I have decided to close those down and just have a common .Mobi thread. No lists will be posted by myself, no "count down", none of that because it offends domainers on here. So if your interested in seeing availability, please pm me. Otherwise lets just talk generally about .mobi.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I prefer to keep my .mobi domains "real" - k'words only.
Have a number of popular first names, including "Mary."

•••
There were a lot of popular first names in .mobi that came available in the past year. Hard to say if they have a future, and how much they could go for. I'd prefer a really good NNNN chip if I had a choice.

•••
Almost 800 lll.mobi bought in the last 36 hours, down to 1520.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Right now, 333.mobi is again up for auction at Godaddy. It ends today, and is currently at 115 dollars (reserve not met). Given that this is probably one of the best .mobi numerics, it will be interesting to see the price that it gets to. But given a reserve, it may not sell. But from the previous threads, it seems to have gone up to 2k, correct? If so, that is either a great sign, or high speculation.

With regards to the conversation above, I think both make excellent points. There has indeed been a rise in movement on .mobi, but that is also because any sales compared to few or zero is a rise. I have just decided to get in on this market (but with only very short domains, and only excellent numerical patterns). Why?

Short names, as well as patterns are selling.

Look at .co (which does seem to have a stronger base than .mobi). Their NNNs are in the hundreds now (each), where months ago, people could not give them away on Namepros.

I have no idea if .mobi will go in that direction. But the trend seems to be to revive older extensions, and particularly related to their numerics).

If you can get a NN.mobi, or good number NNN.mobi, for a clearance price (which .mobi is now), then I say go for it. In fact, backing up my statements with money, given that .mobi is on sale for 99 cents, I spent some time and scoured through good combo possibilities (66, 77, 88, 99, 666, 777, 888, and 999) and found the very best combinations available.

Will they sell? I have no clue. But I paid a dollar a domain, and I have a year to either see it take off, or drop them and lose 100 dollars. Not the worst way to test your theory on short domains. Even if .mobi sells for 1 percent of .com (or even that), if the direction of short domains is going to continue in this way, then one could do quite well.

Again, just don't pay 20 dollar per every .mobi hand registration. That would be my advice.

Last edited:
•••
Were you regging 5N and 6N .mobi?

•••
LLL.mobi is under 1000 now.

•••
•••
I am still in the final process of picking up some of the .mobi in my category and should finish tonight (and then would be happy to say more). Is anyone else buying any at the moment?

Plus, does anyone know what the 333.mobi ended up at?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
The .mobi is going to be a longer play in the next months, if it amounts to anything at all. I don't expect to see very many sales now, but if this extension will pick up, one would expect this to be the year.

•••
This extension has lot of aftermarket sales (source namebio) compared to ngtlds.

•••
^This is an important point. Who knows if .mobi will sell. However, right now, one can register great short domains in .mobi for much cheaper than the new gtlds. Both are risks, but as mentioned, at least .mobi has the history. Again, both are not sure rises, but the sales are higher, and there are better names available to register compared to others.

•••
How many LLL.mobi left? I can't find any available to reg :-/

There were 7 left, for $1 each I finished them off lol. Any 3L or 4N that have dropped on ExpiredDomains have been bought up too which is important. There are some lists on other tld's that people think are done, but always have to see what drops remain. 5N.ORG for example was supposed to be all taken a couple months ago, but there's quite a few that have dropped on expired domains and still hold 5N.org back from any sort of value growth.

•••
^nice. I went in a different direction with .mobi. I know that they are not as popular as NNN, but I bought many LNN, with the last two numbers repeating. So, a few examples: h66; m66, p77 (many with repeating 22s, 33s), etc... I also bought many L888 (j888; f888, etc...) patterns.

Most of the L88s were sold, but I went through every letter and double number combination.

Will it amount to anything in terms of value? I have no idea. But again, as mentioned in my previous post, for less than 100 dollars, it was worth seeing.

•••
With all these regs maybe .mobi will retake the lead from .club, which just passed mobi in # of registrations.

•••
Even LLL such as SVC, UGX and XAF that were not picked up at drops few days ago are all gone. Just 3 months ago, plenty of LLL and NNNN were available to choose at your leisure, but now no more. The next to watch may be 5N .mobi

•••
With all these regs maybe .mobi will retake the lead from .club, which just passed mobi in # of registrations.
Already. .mobi (693,521) is ahead of .club (693,017) again.

•••
Even LLL such as SVC, UGX and XAF that were not picked up at drops few days ago are all gone. Just 3 months ago, plenty of LLL and NNNN were available to choose at your leisure, but now no more. The next to watch may be 5N .mobi
I think the next thing to watch is if prices pick up in the aftermarket for these short .mobi, that would be a good sign. At $1 per reg it's a low risk gamble I suppose.

•••
^This is an important point. Who knows if .mobi will sell. However, right now, one can register great short domains in .mobi for much cheaper than the new gtlds. Both are risks, but as mentioned, at least .mobi has the history. Again, both are not sure rises, but the sales are higher, and there are better names available to register compared to others.

Yeah, it has a history. It had a history of like 11 sales over $100,000 back in the day to not even 1 reported sale this month. It has a history of getting up to about 1.2 million regs to now about 700,000. That's a drop of half a million. And what sales are higher exactly? It's like you're just making stuff up. It's the year 2016, you're talking about .mobi.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back